I am planing on building a gaming and video/photo editing pc. And I am wondering if there is a difference between 16GB 3000MHz and 16GB 3200MHz RAM. I live in Sweden and here I can get 3200MHz for about 10$ more than 3000MHz.

4 minutes ago, Robotics040 said:

I am planing on building a gaming and video/photo editing pc. And I am wondering if there is a difference between 16GB 3000MHz and 16GB 3200MHz RAM. I live in Sweden and here I can get 3200MHz for about 10$ more than 3000MHz.

The difference depends on what kind of CPU you're using

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

Ryzen likes faster RAM and Intel runs better with tighter timings. At the end of the day it depends on the CPU and if your motherboard can support what your trying to do.

Intel can only support up to 2666 I believe but Ryzen performs better when paired with high speed RAM.

The Louvre

Lian-Li PC-O11 DW   |   ZOTAC RTX 2080   |   Core i5 9600k   |   SeaSonic FOCUS Plus 650W Platinum   |   MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon  |  2x16Gb TRIDENT Z ROYAL  |   2xSX8200 240Gb NVME SSD's  |   1x Seagate Firecuda 1TB   |   EVGA Closed Loop Cooler 280mm   |   1x MSI MPG27C Monitor

3 hours ago, CharminUltraStrong said:

Intel can only support up to 2666 I believe but Ryzen performs better when paired with high speed RAM.

Z series boards have XMP that allows ram to have speeds above 2666.

8700K @ 5.2ghz 1.29V, 4x8 Rev.E @ 4040 13-20-20-39 1.7V.

13 hours ago, _Syn_ said:

The difference depends on what kind of CPU you're using

Ok, I am getting a Ryzen 5 2600X. So it is better for me to get the 3200MHz.

9 minutes ago, Robotics040 said:

For Ryzen there's some benefit in 3200Mhz but it's small and it depends on the CAS Latency (ex: CL15), what's the cas latency for the 3000Mhz and 3200Mhz kits?

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

18 minutes ago, Robotics040 said:

Yes, BUT check your motherboards memory compatibility chart to ensure the 16GB kit you are looking at is compatible with Ryzen / Your mobo.  There are intel specific kits and ryzen specific kits.

just because its DDR4 does not mean it will run at the rated speeds it will usually work regardless but will always default to 2133mhz if its not 100% compatible. 

10 hours ago, Tz000 said:

Yes, BUT check your motherboards memory compatibility chart to ensure the 16GB kit you are looking at is compatible with Ryzen / Your mobo.  There are intel specific kits and ryzen specific kits.

just because its DDR4 does not mean it will run at the rated speeds it will usually work regardless but will always default to 2133mhz if its not 100% compatible. 

Screenshot_20190323-123109_Drive.jpg