i7 8700 or ryzen

Need help deciding at the moment i have a i3 3220 rx 580 i have a i7 8700 but i need to upgrade my ram mobo and psu that is going to cost me at lease 160$  if lucky.

The 8700 i have i was thinking on putting it up for sale to just get a ryzen 3 2200g, ASRock B450 PRO4, ram and psu. I game a lot and only use 1 pc so not just meant for gaming but for overall use. I am aiming for mid to high graphic game play and seeing how some games suggest ryzen 5 i might go with ryzen 5, suggestions?

21 minutes ago, neo armstrong cyclone jet said:

Need help deciding at the moment i have a i3 3220 rx 580 i have a i7 8700 but i need to upgrade my ram mobo and psu that is going to cost me at lease 160$  if lucky.

The 8700 i have i was thinking on putting it up for sale to just get a ryzen 3 2200g, ASRock B450 PRO4, ram and psu. I game a lot and only use 1 pc so not just meant for gaming but for overall use. I am aiming for mid to high graphic game play and seeing how some games suggest ryzen 5 i might go with ryzen 5, suggestions?

As in you're going to sell the i7 8700?

If you do that you can get a Ryzen 7 1700 + motherboard and 16GBs of RAM for near the retail cost of the 8700

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/nWNwFt
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/nWNwFt/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 1700 3 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($158.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - B450 AORUS M Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Team - Vulcan 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($84.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $318.77
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-20 02:19 EDT-0400

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

10 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

As in you're going to sell the i7 8700?

If you do that you can get a Ryzen 7 1700 + motherboard and 16GBs of RAM for near the retail cost of the 8700

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/nWNwFt
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/nWNwFt/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 1700 3 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($158.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - B450 AORUS M Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Team - Vulcan 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($84.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $318.77
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-20 02:19 EDT-0400

OH! didn't think of that..

that would be the better route for me

Yes, get the complete Ryzen 5 setup with the price of 1 8700 cpu.

How good is that?

You can use the extra for RX580.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

1 minute ago, SupaKomputa said:

Yes, get the complete Ryzen 5 setup with the price of 1 8700 cpu.

How good is that?

You can use the extra for RX580.

Just a stupid question but more stupid for me asking why do people prefer Intel instead of amd and it is hella cheaper?

Also i have a 580 so crossfire? how good it that?

5 minutes ago, neo armstrong cyclone jet said:

Just a stupid question but more stupid for me asking why do people prefer Intel instead of amd and it is hella cheaper?

Intel is a bit faster for gaming, but on average it's like 20-30 fps depending on the overclock.

Though Ryzen is still going to be at 90-100 fps or above in the average AAA game anyways.

Crossfire isn't worth it, just wait for NAVI to launch in june/july.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

13 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Intel is a bit faster for gaming, but on average it's like 20-30 fps depending on the overclock.

Though Ryzen is still going to be at 90-100 fps or above in the average AAA game anyways.

Crossfire isn't worth it, just wait for NAVI to launch in june/july.

Oh ok thanks like i got a rx 580 at the moment and getting killed due to cpu bottleneck.

My last concern is the watts seeing how for example the i7 8700 is 65 watts and the ryzen 7 was needing 105..  does that mean higher cost in electric bill over time? stupid to ask but just curious

11 minutes ago, neo armstrong cyclone jet said:

Oh ok thanks like i got a rx 580 at the moment and getting killed due to cpu bottleneck.

My last concern is the watts seeing how for example the i7 8700 is 65 watts and the ryzen 7 was needing 105..  does that mean higher cost in electric bill over time? stupid to ask but just curious

TDP is pretty useless, you want to look at a power draw chart

but Ryzen is just as efficient as modern intel chips, power draw will be the same or lower.

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Streetguru said:

TDP is pretty useless, you want to look at a power draw chart

but Ryzen is just as efficient as modern intel chips, power draw will be the same or lower.

Ah thanks so much this concludes my worries and has made me shift to ryzen

3 hours ago, neo armstrong cyclone jet said:

If you have a high refresh monitor, and a powerful enough graphics card, an unlocked Intel will perform up to 30% better than Ryzen when not GPU limited.

If you are playing at under 100hz it doesn't matter. Most people play on 60hz displays, so for most people it doesn't matter.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x