USB Amp/Dac recommendation for HD6xx/HD650

DebatED Nothing

Recently decided my audio set up needed a bit of love, so I'm looking at getting some of the massdrop HD6XXs. My motherboard's sound-card isn't great, so I was thinking it would make sense to combine this purchase with getting some kind of desk top DAC. I can't use an in-pc sound-card as the case I have is too small to accommodate one. Ideally the card would have 2 3.5mm or 1/4 inch outputs (for the headphones and some speakers I have) and a mic input (either 1/4inch or 3.5mm would be fine)

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

i7-7700 | Asrock H270M-ITX | Fractal Design Core 500 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti | 850 EVO 500GB | 850 EVO 250GB | WD CavGreen 2TB

EVGA SuperNOVA 550W | Steel Series Elite Prism | Final mouse 2015 | WASD Keyboards V2 (MX Blue) | Acer Predator 1440p 144Hz

You could look at Schiit Audio if you want to go for the higher end. Otherwise, Focusrite had some really nice USB Audio interfaces. It also gives you the opportunity to use XLR mic inputs. 

Their pre-amps are amazing. I have a Scarlett 2i2 pushing my Sennheiser HD215's very well. 

the 6xx love a good amp but an amp is useless without a good source.

some great DACS for around $100 or less are < topping d10, topping d30, grace design sdac from massdrop, and a shciit modi.

some great amps for a round $100 are : jds atom and monoprice liquid spark.  many people can't tell a difference between the 2 in terms of sound but they both sound bettter than the magni 3. I am not a audio phole so Im in the camp that I cant tell the difference but many audiophiles with more sensitive ears than I can.  the atom has the best numbers in measurements but is built the worse the liquid spark the liquid spark is built very well and feels great to handle.  

1 hour ago, TopHatTom said:

You could look at Schiit Audio if you want to go for the higher end. Otherwise, Focusrite had some really nice USB Audio interfaces. It also gives you the opportunity to use XLR mic inputs. 

Their pre-amps are amazing. I have a Scarlett 2i2 pushing my Sennheiser HD215's very well. 

Would a Scarlet solo work as well? I don't have need for 2 inputs. Would I just plug the unit in using USB and then it would as my mic input and audio output?

i7-7700 | Asrock H270M-ITX | Fractal Design Core 500 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti | 850 EVO 500GB | 850 EVO 250GB | WD CavGreen 2TB

EVGA SuperNOVA 550W | Steel Series Elite Prism | Final mouse 2015 | WASD Keyboards V2 (MX Blue) | Acer Predator 1440p 144Hz

6 hours ago, DebatED Nothing said:

Would a Scarlet solo work as well? I don't have need for 2 inputs. Would I just plug the unit in using USB and then it would as my mic input and audio output?

Yeah, a solo would be more than fine. I use mine for multiple inputs but I can imagine you wouldn't need it.

Yes they pretty much just replace any audio being controlled by your computer. (External DAC/ ADC) 

They also have the ability to fade between headphones and a monitor out. 

You could also look at similar products. That being said, I haven't used them personally, so I can't vouch for their quality.

10 hours ago, DebatED Nothing said:

Recently decided my audio set up needed a bit of love, so I'm looking at getting some of the massdrop HD6XXs. My motherboard's sound-card isn't great, so I was thinking it would make sense to combine this purchase with getting some kind of desk top DAC. I can't use an in-pc sound-card as the case I have is too small to accommodate one. Ideally the card would have 2 3.5mm or 1/4 inch outputs (for the headphones and some speakers I have) and a mic input (either 1/4inch or 3.5mm would be fine)

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

7 hours ago, rice guru said:

the 6xx love a good amp but an amp is useless without a good source.

some great DACS for around $100 or less are < topping d10, topping d30, grace design sdac from massdrop, and a shciit modi.

some great amps for a round $100 are : jds atom and monoprice liquid spark.  many people can't tell a difference between the 2 in terms of sound but they both sound bettter than the magni 3. I am not a audio phole so Im in the camp that I cant tell the difference but many audiophiles with more sensitive ears than I can.  the atom has the best numbers in measurements but is built the worse the liquid spark the liquid spark is built very well and feels great to handle.  

As mentioned, JDS Labs Atom. I'd choose the JDS Atom over the Liquid Spark being that it is basically the same price and is cleaner.

I think you could use a Schiit Fulla if you want to combine amp and DAC into one unit.

Crimson Panda

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/g6T8QV

AKG K712 PRO

OL DAC
Magni 3

22 minutes ago, food158 said:

As mentioned, JDS Labs Atom. I'd choose the JDS Atom over the Liquid Spark being that it is basically the same price and is cleaner.

I think you could use a Schiit Fulla if you want to combine amp and DAC into one unit.

yep the general consensus among the community is if you care about build go for liquid spark, if you care about sound and numbers go for atom , and never go for magni unless you really need the power or you found it for cheap.