Ongoing audio crackling

toxic_egg

Hello,

I thought it would be about time I solved this issue, once and for all. I've been having audio crackling issues on my computer for a very long time now, and no Windows or driver updates seem to fix it. 

The crackling seems to happen randomly, but will also happen more when my CPU usage goes up. It seems as though on some days, it happens more, but on other days, there's hardly any. 

I've run LatencyMon a few times, and it says my PC can handle real-time audio.

My headphones are a Razer Kraken Mobile that I've had for almost 3 years.

If anyone has any advice, please reply. This issue has been a burden for too long now.

i7 6700k, GTX 1080, Crucial MX 300, Maximus VII Hero, WD Blue, 16 GB RAM

6 minutes ago, KING OF THE DIRTY DANS said:

I already have my headphones plugged into my speakers, as shown here.

Should I still get the adapter, or maybe consider new speakers?

IMG_3290.HEIC

Most speakers have garbage headphone jacks

Just get the adapter, and use the speakers when desired

i7 6700k, GTX 1080, Crucial MX 300, Maximus VII Hero, WD Blue, 16 GB RAM

@toxic_egg Don't use the crappy splitters, they are just awful. Plug them directly into your case/mobo

I make intelligent lights do cool things

6 minutes ago, YaBoiWill said:

@toxic_egg Don't use the crappy splitters, they are just awful. Plug them directly into your case/mobo

I should mention that I was having audio crackling issues before I got my speakers, when I was plugging them into my case.

8 hours ago, toxic_egg said:

Hello,

I thought it would be about time I solved this issue, once and for all. I've been having audio crackling issues on my computer for a very long time now, and no Windows or driver updates seem to fix it. 

The crackling seems to happen randomly, but will also happen more when my CPU usage goes up. It seems as though on some days, it happens more, but on other days, there's hardly any. 

I've run LatencyMon a few times, and it says my PC can handle real-time audio.

My headphones are a Razer Kraken Mobile that I've had for almost 3 years.

If anyone has any advice, please reply. This issue has been a burden for too long now.

Could you post a recording of the sound? It could by any one of a number of issues, and being able to hear it could help diagnose the problem. If it is tied to CPU usage, it's likely a buffer size issue. Here are some things to try which may help if the issue is performance related.

Clean the connector. You can use a contact cleaner (Deoxit D5 is the best IMO) or isopropanol on the cable end, then while it is slightly wet repeatedly insert and unplug the connector to clean the inside of the jack. Obviously this should be done with the system off using as little fluid as possible, and give it a minute to evaporate before powering back on.

Increase the audio buffer size if your hardware has the option. Usually, only USB/Thunderbolt/PCI devices let you change this. 

Decrease the sample rate and/or bit depth (in most cases, anything better than 48KHz 16-bit is indistinguishable.) This can be done in the Sound Control Panel > Properties > Advanced