Nvidia’s Laughing All the Way to the Bank - GTX 1660 Review

1 hour ago, DrMacintosh said:

"power efficiency" doesnt sell cards and most people hate Nvidias handling of software. 

The 1660 just isn't that impressive, and that's ok. Nvidia isn't going anywhere. Well, at least not until Intel comes into the game. 

Well this depends, if we are talking about this part market you are correct there are very few workloads where 10, 20, or even 50 watts would have much of an impact. Although as we move towards the 1650 every watt will decide the success or failure of the card, honestly at this point I believe that the 1660's and 1660 ti's primary goal is to bridge the market between the 1650 and 2060 where Nvidia currently is king, and will be king, as when it comes down to the budget cards that you can throw into old corporate machines and small form factor rigs, every single watt matters.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

I think logically, AMD's best move is to just remove themselves from the GPU market for a year or two and come back with a new design altogether.

Nvidia are really far ahead of them with their performance per watt, it is insane that a GTX 1080 consumes less power than an RX 590.

I really feel before doing these value comparisons there needs to be a discussion of what prices and relative performance numbers are used. He verbally says that the 590 wins out because it is more expensive, but has better performance, but I'd like to know what the relative performance numbers used were. Most other sources claim the 1660 to be right around 10% faster than the 590 on average which then makes everything in this video seem very far off, but clearly LTT just had the 590 coming out as probably at least 10% faster than the 1660 which is a huge swing the other direction. Hell depending on what price was used it could even have been more than 10%. Also because the 590 price dropped down to 220$ now the entire video is actually kind of useless because its unknown what price or performance were used to get the value numbers so they can't be adjusted for price changes by viewers later down the road.

EVGA is using the 1x HDB fan design in their base 1660 model while Gigabyte/Zotac are using 2x sleeve bearing? design for the same price. Does anyone know how the 1x HDB fan compares to the 2x sleeve bearing fan designs in terms of heat and noise?

22 minutes ago, jjfishtank said:

EVGA is using the 1x HDB fan design in their base 1660 model while Gigabyte/Zotac are using 2x sleeve bearing? design for the same price. Does anyone know how the 1x HDB fan compares to the 2x sleeve bearing fan designs in terms of heat and noise?

The big benefit of HDBs is more that they are quieter and more reliable. The EVGA cards may still cool about as well though because they are using a thicker heatsink and from the results people have been showing the single fan EVGA cools plenty well. I'd definitely pick a card with HDB or DBB fans over one with sleeve bearings unless there was some huge price or feature difference though just because the fan should last longer. I actually don't think EVGA has gotten enough praise for using good fans even on their MSRP cards.

On 3/18/2019 at 3:33 AM, ybriK said:

Those relative graphs are so bad.

They are great, you can pick the graphs you are interested in and pause on them, the value graphs are very informative, they tell you the ratio of value to the price of build, it's very simple, yet effective concept.