What is the best 2080 to buy?

webguy

Hi.  I am building a new pc and I have a question about the 2080 gpu and which version of it would be the best to buy.  If price was not an issue which 2080 would you buy?  I want to be able to play resource heavy games for long periods of time like 12+ hours if I wanted and stream from the same pc and possibly use nvenc encoding which uses the gpu for encoding.  I want to be able to do all that and not have any overheating issues or have problems with the gpu not lasting very long.  I had a different post on here and it seems like the three fan ones are the best?

Which 2080 would you buy if money was not a factor?  I play fast paced competitive fps games like apex legends and pubg though I may play different games in the future.  I also will likely be streaming to twitch and capturing video for youtube.  The cpu will be an i9 9900k if that makes a difference.  I can use a case that is big enough for whichever card is recommended.  I care more about performance and longevity of the gpu than rgb or how the card looks.  I will likely be using a  27" 1440p 165hz monitor and maybe even a 240hz monitor in the future.  Thanks!

3 minutes ago, webguy said:

Hi.  I am building a new pc and I have a question about the 2080 gpu and which version of it would be the best to buy.  If price was not an issue which 2080 would you buy?  I want to be able to play resource heavy games for long periods of time like 12+ hours if I wanted and stream from the same pc and possibly use nvenc encoding which uses the gpu for encoding.  I want to be able to do all that and not have any overheating issues or have problems with the gpu not lasting very long.  I had a different post on here and it seems like the three fan ones are the best?

Which 2080 would you buy if money was not a factor?  I play fast paced competitive fps games like apex legends and pubg though I may play different games in the future.  I also will likely be streaming to twitch and capturing video for youtube.  The cpu will be an i9 9900k if that makes a difference.  I can use a case that is big enough for whichever card is recommended.  I care more about performance and longevity of the gpu than rgb or how the card looks.  I will likely be using a  27" 1440p 165hz monitor and maybe even a 240hz monitor in the future.  Thanks!

If money isn't an issue, you should just get a capture card and/or use another PC for encoding.

Well you will want a triple fan card probably or if you want a watercooled card, the options are a little more limited.

Other than that though, its really whatever you think looks the nicest. I myself got the MSI Gaming X Trio because I liked the RGB lighting more across the logo over the other brands (ASUS side RGB is boring and Gigabytes logo is ugly imo). I was initially torn though between the ASUS card and MSI card because of the ASUS RGB backplate but im happy with my final purchase.

Only thing really that I have heard negative about any of the cards is that the Gigabyte Aorus Xtreme is pretty loud compared to others.

CPU
Intel® Core i9 9900K 8 Core 16 Threads
Motherboard
ASUS® ROG Strix Z390-E
Memory (RAM)
32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB
Graphics Card
MSI RTX 2080 Gaming X Trio

1st Drive

500GB Samsung 970 EVO NVME 

2nd Drive

1TB Samsung 970 EVO NVME
3rd Hard Disk
480GB KINGSTON HYPERX 3K SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s (upto 540MB/sR | 450MB/sW)
4th Hard Disk
2TB 3.5" SEAGATE SSHD, SATA 6Gb/s 7200 RPM

5th Hard Disk
Power Supply
CORSAIR 850W RM SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET 
Processor Cooling
Corsair H150i Pr 360mm AIO

Case:

Lian Li O11 Air

6 minutes ago, averagebilly said:

If money isn't an issue, you should just get a capture card and/or use another PC for encoding.

Thank you.  I do not have an unlimited budget.  I am just saying that it seems like there is only about $150.00 difference between the lowest priced 2080 gpu and the highest priced one so with that little of a difference if the most expensive one is the best I would rather do that.  I will have a capture card and if the streaming and youtube videos work out well I will likely eventually get a second pc for streaming.

3 minutes ago, Findiculous said:

Well you will want a triple fan card probably or if you want a watercooled card, the options are a little more limited.

Other than that though, its really whatever you think looks the nicest. I myself got the MSI Gaming X Trio because I liked the RGB lighting more across the logo over the other brands (ASUS side RGB is boring and Gigabytes logo is ugly imo). I was initially torn though between the ASUS card and MSI card because of the ASUS RGB backplate but im happy with my final purchase.

Only thing really that I have heard negative about any of the cards is that the Gigabyte Aorus Xtreme is pretty loud compared to others.

Thank you.  That is helpful.  While I would not mind a really nice looking card I really want to go with the one that performs the best though if the top ones all perform the same I would pick the one that looks the best to me.  I will look into what you mentioned.  Thanks.

4 minutes ago, webguy said:

Thank you.  That is helpful.  While I would not mind a really nice looking card I really want to go with the one that performs the best though if the top ones all perform the same I would pick the one that looks the best to me.  I will look into what you mentioned.  Thanks.

NP end of the day they all function basically the same. Some have better out of the box boost clocks but in most cases you dont really see a difference.

Highest boost clock out of the box I think is the ASUS ROG Strix so if you want premium with no issue of the cost then you can get that if you like the way the colors are. 

Other reviews say the Zotac card has the nicest RGB but I wasnt sold on that one and i didnt like the back black either (though you can get custom backplates seperately online). 

https://appuals.com/best-nvidia-geforce-rtx-2080/

CPU
Intel® Core i9 9900K 8 Core 16 Threads
Motherboard
ASUS® ROG Strix Z390-E
Memory (RAM)
32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB
Graphics Card
MSI RTX 2080 Gaming X Trio

1st Drive

500GB Samsung 970 EVO NVME 

2nd Drive

1TB Samsung 970 EVO NVME
3rd Hard Disk
480GB KINGSTON HYPERX 3K SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s (upto 540MB/sR | 450MB/sW)
4th Hard Disk

5th Hard Disk
Power Supply
CORSAIR 850W RM SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET 
Processor Cooling
Corsair H150i Pr 360mm AIO

Case:

Lian Li O11 Air

8 minutes ago, webguy said:

Thank you.  I do not have an unlimited budget.  I am just saying that it seems like there is only about $150.00 difference between the lowest priced 2080 gpu and the highest priced one so with that little of a difference if the most expensive one is the best I would rather do that.  I will have a capture card and if the streaming and youtube videos work out well I will likely eventually get a second pc for streaming.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/jmHRsY/msi-geforce-rtx-2080-8gb-ventus-video-card-geforce-rtx-2080-ventus-8g

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/HT3H99/gigabyte-geforce-rtx-2080-8gb-windforce-oc-video-card-gv-n2080wf3oc-8gc

In that case, a watercooled or triple-fan card is your best option.

Customer service and value is the most important, cooling and noise only needs to be good enough, while RGB means nothing to me. I might just get an EVGA 2080 Black because it's quite cheap and cools itself decently well without shouting.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

15 hours ago, Findiculous said:

NP end of the day they all function basically the same. Some have better out of the box boost clocks but in most cases you dont really see a difference.

Highest boost clock out of the box I think is the ASUS ROG Strix so if you want premium with no issue of the cost then you can get that if you like the way the colors are. 

Other reviews say the Zotac card has the nicest RGB but I wasnt sold on that one and i didnt like the back black either (though you can get custom backplates seperately online). 

https://appuals.com/best-nvidia-geforce-rtx-2080/

Thank you for the information.  I think I may get the rog strix 2080.

15 hours ago, Jurrunio said:

Customer service and value is the most important, cooling and noise only needs to be good enough, while RGB means nothing to me. I might just get an EVGA 2080 Black because it's quite cheap and cools itself decently well without shouting.

That is a good point.  I would hope that asus would have good customer service.