Windows 7 On UEFI

HypnoSheep

Does anyone know how to get Windows 7 X64 to install on UEFI? Cause my Acer ES1-533's BIOS is UEFI-Only, which apparently is a issue alot of users are facing (at least according to other people online) who can't change it to Legacy. The laptop originally shipped with Win10, but as soon as it gets online or you try and install something it comes to be very very sluggish. I tried to install Windows 8.1, which actually made this PC very very fast, but I couldn't get a Graphics driver installed, So. Does anyone know how to get Windows 7 installed on UEFI? There has to be a way. Thanks everyone

Do you have some Legacy BIOS option available?

A girl who loves to love.

Just now, Aimi said:

Do you have some Legacy BIOS option available?

Nope, I can't do nothing. I read on multiple websites that other owners of these laptops are facing the same issue. 

Windows 7 supports UEFI, if installed from the original disk, not USB.

Keep in mind that many at the time of WIndows 7 release, UEFI is all new. Not all system fully supported UEFI, and Windows 7 didn't have proper UEFI support, only booting support. Only the later versions of Windows has proper, full UEFI support.

2 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Windows 7 supports UEFI, if installed from the original disk, not USB.

Keep in mind that many at the time of WIndows 7 release, UEFI is all new. Not all system fully supported UEFI, and Windows 7 didn't have proper UEFI support, only booting support. Only the later versions of Windows has proper, full UEFI support.

So, how would I go about installing it? if i can track down a original .iso and burn it.

46 minutes ago, HypnoSheep said:

So, how would I go about installing it? if i can track down a original .iso and burn it.

Boot from disk, and follow instructions.

Note that Windows 7 will take about 35min to install via disk on a powerful desktop PC. The time may be slower on your system, so be patient.

I am seeing that your laptop feature a really slow HDD, and a awfully slow CPU (Celeron N3350). This CPU is a rebranded weak Intel Atom CPU. It is slower then the Pentium Silver, another Atom rebranded CPU. Basically Atom got horrible bad rep due to its horrible performance, the CPU architecture was a complete flop for the company, to hide the bad rep that Atom has, they renamed the CPUs once they starred to kill of the CPU. This is how you have the Pentium Silver, and the Celeron N series.

So this explains why the system performance is so poor. The thing is, I don't think Windows 7 will help much. You may need to consider Windows XP to really get the system running smoothly. But of course nothing works with XP, so maybe a lean Linux a distro instead. Anyway, just something to consider if Win7 still doesn't play nice.

11 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Boot from disk, and follow instructions.

Note that Windows 7 will take about 35min to install via disk on a powerful desktop PC. The time may be slower on your system, so be patient.

I am seeing that your laptop feature a really slow HDD, and a awfully slow CPU (Celeron N3350). This CPU is a rebranded weak Intel Atom CPU. It is slower then the Pentium Silver, another Atom rebranded CPU. Basically Atom got horrible bad rep due to its horrible performance, the CPU architecture was a complete flop for the company, to hide the bad rep that Atom has, they renamed the CPUs once they starred to kill of the CPU. This is how you have the Pentium Silver, and the Celeron N series.

So this explains why the system performance is so poor. The thing is, I don't think Windows 7 will help much. You may need to consider Windows XP to really get the system running smoothly. But of course nothing works with XP, so maybe a lean Linux a distro instead. Anyway, just something to consider if Win7 still doesn't play nice.

Well, with me and my very cheap computers. I currently have another Acer laptop that had the screen cracked (that I removed) and I use it as a desktop PC now, I got Windows 7 on here, cause As Similar with the other laptop it Runs Windows 10 horribly, And Windows 7 makes this PC feel so much more new. That's why I want to try. If I don't succeed I guess I'll end up back here looking for a Linux Distro.

Nope, I just burned it to a disk. I had to disable Secure Boot, After i did that it said Windows is loading files. Now I'm stuck at Starting Windows, the hard drive or CD Drive stopped spinning, the fans also did. It wont boot at all.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/askcore/2011/05/31/installing-windows-7-on-uefi-based-computer/

Quote from it:

Note:  One of the common issues we see is that users try to install X86 version with UEFI enabled in the bios.  X86 does not support UEFI so you would have to configure the machine for Legacy boot to install X86 versions of Windows.  If you do try to install X86 version setup will run but on the 1st reboot you will get BIOS error similar to “No bootable devices –Strike F1 to retry boot, F2 for setup utility.  Press F5 to run onboard diagnostics”

So that means you MUST run a x64 version of Win7 on it, but the 2GB ram on it will not be enough for it to run properly imo. You'd need to expand / replace that to at least 4 GB ram, but with that expense, i'd consider to look for 8 gb ram for it.

(as a follow up on our convo on discord)

4 hours ago, HypnoSheep said:

Nope, I just burned it to a disk. I had to disable Secure Boot, After i did that it said Windows is loading files. Now I'm stuck at Starting Windows, the hard drive or CD Drive stopped spinning, the fans also did. It wont boot at all.

Ok I forgot to elaborate. Windows 7 does not support secure boot or any UEFI feature beside booting from one.

So you'll need to disable everything, possibly even Fast Boot, to get Windows 7 to boot. Just something that you need to keep in mind and play around.

Another thing, is that only Windows 7 64-bit supports UEFI booting so be sure your ISO is 64-bit version of Windows 7. And when you boot from disk, be sure to pick "UEFI" version, if you have the option in the Boot selection screen. So you'll have "<disk drive>" or "Legacy: <Disk Drive>" and "UEFI: <Disk Drive>" or "EFI <Disk Drive>"

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/17/2019 at 2:32 PM, GoodBytes said:

Ok I forgot to elaborate. Windows 7 does not support secure boot or any UEFI feature beside booting from one.

So you'll need to disable everything, possibly even Fast Boot, to get Windows 7 to boot. Just something that you need to keep in mind and play around.

Another thing, is that only Windows 7 64-bit supports UEFI booting so be sure your ISO is 64-bit version of Windows 7. And when you boot from disk, be sure to pick "UEFI" version, if you have the option in the Boot selection screen. So you'll have "<disk drive>" or "Legacy: <Disk Drive>" and "UEFI: <Disk Drive>" or "EFI <Disk Drive>"

I still never got it working first or last. I now try Linux with more issues. Im soon gonna throw out this laptop ugh ? . Thanks anyways.