Virtualization on MSI B450?

Go to solution Solved by elmork023,
On 9/24/2019 at 7:21 PM, Enigma01 said:

This Forum helped me a bit but thought id share my findings just in case you didn't figure it out. I have an MSI B450 Thomahawk Motherboard and had to enable the Virtual Machine setting  as well. Took me an hour but finally got it and thought id share to save other folks the time. Instructions below

- Boot in to Bios using "Delete" Key

- Select "Overclocking"

- Go to "OC Explore Mode" and turn that to "Expert"

- Scroll down to "CPU Features"

-Select "SVM Mode" and "Enable"

-Save and Exit

Aaannnddd Presto! Virtualization Turned on! Boop!

And like the others before me. Registered just to say how awesome you are for finding that and saving us all time. I never even would've thought to look under overclocking.

I (finally) got my Ryzen setup complete about a week ago, rocking an R5 2600x on an MSI B450 mobo. 

I've been trying to set up an Ubuntu VM on my machine using VirtualBox. However, I keep getting an error that "AMD-V" is not enabled (I assume that means virtualization in general is not enabled in my BIOS). So I took to the Google to try to find out how to enable it. But. The answers I found either 1: didn't answer the question of "how to enable virtualization on MSI B450", or 2: were for a different motherboard entirely. 

So. Does anybody here know where in the BIOS on an MSI B450 I can enable virtualization? And does this board even support virtualization?

Two years of IT experience. But at the end of the day: I dunno, I just work here Dave. 

It's not labeled as virtualization or AMD-V in the BIOS (at least on my Asus B350 board). I forget what it's called, and can't check right now. I remember that I had to look at the descriptions of all the options in the CPU section to fine one described as "enables CPU virtualization"

Primary PC: - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8G3tXv (Windows 10 Home)

HTPC: - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/KdBb4n (Windows 10 Home)
Server: Dell Precision T7500 - Dual Xeon X5660's, 44GB ECC DDR3, Dell Nvidia GTX 645 (Windows Server 2019 Standard)      

*SLI Rig* - i7-920, MSI-X58 Platinum SLI, 12GB DDR3, Dual EVGA GTX 260 Core 216 in SLI - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/GHw6vW (Windows 7 Pro)

HP DC7900 - Core 2 Duo E8400, 4GB DDR2, Nvidia GeForce 8600 GT (Windows Vista)

Compaq Presario 5000 - Pentium 4 1.7Ghz, 1.7GB SDR, PowerColor Radeon 9600 Pro (Windows XP x86 Pro)
Compaq Presario 8772 - Pentium MMX 200Mhz, 48MB PC66, 6GB Quantum HDD, "8GB" HP SATA SSD adapted to IDE (Windows 98 SE)

Asus M32AD - Intel i3-4170, 8GB DDR3, 250GB Seagate 2.5" HDD (converting to SSD soon), EVGA GeForce GTS 250, OEM 350W PSU (Windows 10 Core)

*Haswell Tower* https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3vw6vW (Windows 10 Home)

*ITX Box* - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/r36s6R (Windows 10 Education)

Dell Dimension XPS B800 - Pentium 3 800Mhz, RDRAM

In progress projects:

*Skylake Tower* - Pentium G4400, Asus H110

*Trash Can* - AMD A4-6300

*GPU Test Bench*

*Pfsense router* - Pentium G3220, Asrock H97m Pro A4, 4GB DDR3

9 minutes ago, TheFriendlyHacker said:

So. Does anybody here know where in the BIOS on an MSI B450 I can enable virtualization? And does this board even support virtualization?

All modern boards support virtualization, even horrible crap-budget ones. The option is there somewhere, just gotta look more carefully for it. If you can find screenshots of all the BIOS-settings, I can point it out for you.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

For me, it's under Advanced - OC - CPU features. I have an MSI B450 Mortar.

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

• 6 months later...

This Forum helped me a bit but thought id share my findings just in case you didn't figure it out. I have an MSI B450 Thomahawk Motherboard and had to enable the Virtual Machine setting  as well. Took me an hour but finally got it and thought id share to save other folks the time. Instructions below

- Select "Overclocking"

-Save and Exit

• 3 months later...
On 9/25/2019 at 2:21 AM, Enigma01 said:

- Select "Overclocking"

-Save and Exit

I registered here just to say thank you! They really complicated that one, lol. This should be pinned as the best answer tbh :)

• 2 months later...

- Select "Overclocking"

-Save and Exit

Dude you just saved me from a possibly large hassle by taking 5 minutes to write this post. thank you so much.

• 2 weeks later...

- Select "Overclocking"

-Save and Exit

Like most of the guys here, I just registered to say thank you! 

On 9/25/2019 at 5:51 AM, Enigma01 said:

- Select "Overclocking"

-Save and Exit

thanks a lot bro !

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/24/2019 at 7:21 PM, Enigma01 said:

- Select "Overclocking"

-Save and Exit

And like the others before me. Registered just to say how awesome you are for finding that and saving us all time. I never even would've thought to look under overclocking.

• 4 weeks later...

- Select "Overclocking"

-Save and Exit

Like the others , registered to say thank you ♥️♥️♥️

• 5 months later...

Same as above. Registered just to say how thankful I was.

On 9/25/2019 at 6:21 AM, Enigma01 said:

- Select "Overclocking"

-Save and Exit

spacer.png

• 4 weeks later...

- Select "Overclocking"

-Save and Exit

Hello, like the others. I registered just to say thank you 😊 

• 3 weeks later...

- Select "Overclocking"

-Save and Exit

i am using msi b450 pro vdh-max with ryzen 5 3600. bro can u locate the fast boot option in the bios as i am unable to locate it :( my pc takes more than 30 seconds to boot up and this irritates me. Even my old B75 with i3 boot ups in 10 seconds. * Don't mind my English , its my secondary language * Thank you :) .

On 24/9/2019 at 19:21, Enigma01 said:

Este foro me ayudó un poco, pero pensé en compartir mis hallazgos en caso de que no lo hayas descubierto. Tengo una placa base MSI B450 Thomahawk y también tuve que habilitar la configuración de la máquina virtual. Me tomó una hora, pero finalmente lo conseguí y pensé en compartir para ahorrar tiempo a otras personas. Instrucciones a continuación

- Arranque en Bios usando la tecla "Eliminar"

- Seleccione "Overclocking"

- Vaya al "Modo de exploración de OC" y conviértalo en "Experto"

- Desplácese hacia abajo hasta "Funciones de la CPU"

-Seleccione "Modo SVM" y "Habilitar"

-Guardar y Salir

Aaannnddd ¡Presto! ¡Virtualización activada! ¡Boop!

Vengo a dejar mis humildes gracias al igual que todos, me evitaste un gran caos🙌🏾

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/25/2019 at 3:21 AM, Enigma01 said:

- Select "Overclocking"

-Save and Exit

Registered just to say thank you :) been trying to fix this problem for like 2 months now

• 3 weeks later...

- Select "Overclocking"

-Save and Exit

Had to say thank you for this answer. So I registered. and liked this post.

• 1 month later...

- Select "Overclocking"

-Save and Exit

Registered 4 answer! Thanks so much ❤

• 3 months later...
On 9/25/2019 at 1:21 AM, Enigma01 said:

- Select "Overclocking"

-Save and Exit

Thank you!!!

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/24/2019 at 9:21 PM, Enigma01 said:

- Select "Overclocking"

-Save and Exit

More than one year later and this answer keeps saving lives and making people suscribe to this forum just to say thanks. Thank you very much man!

• 3 months later...

I wanted to add this still applies to the MSI b550 boards. Thank you so much. Couldn't find what I was doing wrong. 

• 1 month later...

- Select "Overclocking"

-Save and Exit

and me too , I registered to say Thank you sooooooooo much

• 1 year later...

- Select "Overclocking"

-Save and Exit

I'm so happy you wrote that comment, otherways i wouyld not have found out, how to enable the virtualiziation. Thanks! 🙂

• 5 months later...
On 5/6/2020 at 7:38 PM, elmork023 said:

Registered after swimming thru old bios videos on YouTube ofc linus forums were the right place to look ty everyone