AMD Ryzen 5 2600 vs 2600x and similar choices

NotBryson

Alright folks so I'm making or at least trying to make an AMD build around 600-700 dollars but honestly, we are trying to keep it as low as possible sooo I'm faced with some choices

1. Do I go with the AMD Ryzen 5 2600 or the AMD Ryzen 5 2600x

2. Do I go with 8GB of RAM or 16 GB of RAM and if 8 is better, than do I go 2x4 sticks or 1x8 sticks of RAM

3. Honestly, I'm confused with motherboards for this soo maybe a little help there

4. For the GPU I'm looking at an XFX - Radeon RX 580 8 GB GTS XXX ED Video Card for $189.85 is this good?

this is the build I have right now but I'm seeing if this is really the best bang for buck and maybe trying to lower the price a bit

Multiple RAM sticks are generally better for Ryzen, so 2x4gb if you only plan to ever run 8GB but go single 8GB stick if you plan to expand down the road, go with faster RAM to start with also for 5-10 bucks more you can get 3,000 Mhz RAM for Ryzen.

Also if you have a Microcenter near you they are dumping the Ryzen 5 1600's for $80 (YES EIGHTY DOLLARS) thats less then HALF THE PRICE and you'll really just be giving up a couple hundred megahertz of core speed to save a $100's.

Also I wouldn't use an A320 board on a Ryzen 5, those things have shit VRM's and are barely suitable for the R3's, again if you have a Microcenter near you and buy the R51600 you can get a combo discount and get the B350 Asus board for like $50 (but you'll need an ATX case), so you getting a better board for cheaper even factoring in paying taxes at Microcenter.

You will need a better board if going with the R5 2600/X. The A320 chipset is not really ideal as you can't overclock and most are crap anyway. They are best for lower end APU's etc.

If you have a bit more money then an SSD is worth it.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($164.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: MSI - B450M GAMING PLUS Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($79.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($84.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($59.89 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: XFX - Radeon RX 580 8 GB GTS XXX ED Video Card  ($189.85 @ Amazon) 
Case: DIYPC - MA01-G MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($25.97 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Corsair - CXM 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($43.98 @ Newegg) 
Total: $649.66
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-14 18:21 EDT-0400

1 minute ago, Daniel644 said:

Multiple RAM sticks are generally better for Ryzen, so 2x4gb if you only plan to ever run 8GB but go single 8GB stick if you plan to expand down the road, go with faster RAM to start with also for 5-10 bucks more you can get 3,000 Mhz RAM for Ryzen.

Also if you have a Microcenter near you they are dumping the Ryzen 5 1600's for $80 (YES EIGHTY DOLLARS) thats less then HALF THE PRICE and you'll really just be giving up a couple hundred megahertz of core speed to save a $100's.

Also I wouldn't use an A320 board on a Ryzen 5, those things have shit VRM's and are barely suitable for the R3's, again if you have a Microcenter near you and buy the R51600 you can get a combo discount and get the B350 Asus board for like $50, so you getting a better board for cheaper even factoring in paying taxes at Microcenter.

unfortunately there isn't a micro center in my state so that's, not an option :( do you know what motherboard i could use for this build off of like amazon or newegg

1 minute ago, lee32uk said:

You will need a better board if going with the R5 2600/X. The A320 chipset is not really ideal as you can't overclock and most are crap anyway. They are best for lower end APU's etc.

If you have a bit more money then an SSD is worth it.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($164.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: MSI - B450M GAMING PLUS Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($79.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($84.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($59.89 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: XFX - Radeon RX 580 8 GB GTS XXX ED Video Card  ($189.85 @ Amazon) 
Case: DIYPC - MA01-G MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($25.97 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Corsair - CXM 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($43.98 @ Newegg) 
Total: $649.66
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-14 18:21 EDT-0400

This actually looks pretty good thx! Also Do you think the 16 GB of RAMis worht it I pla to do some newer games and streamm most likely or will 8 GB be enough?

1 minute ago, NotBryson said:

This actually looks pretty good thx! Also Do you think the 16 GB of RAMis worht it I pla to do some newer games and streamm most likely or will 8 GB be enough?

100% would NOT do a PC build without 16GB, also wouldn't do one without an SSD, so suggest adding a 250GB SSD boot drive to the budget, those are cheap enough to keep you under $700 with his build list.

1 minute ago, Daniel644 said:

100% would NOT do a PC build without 16GB, also wouldn't do one without an SSD, so suggest adding a 250GB SSD boot drive to the budget, those are cheap enough to keep you under $700 with his build list.

Alright Will Do thx

9 minutes ago, NotBryson said:

I would stick with 16GB if it fits your budget. Also a cheap 240GB SSD like the one below for the boot drive will be a good cheap addition. You should be able to fit a few games on it as well.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/vYQG3C/team-l5-lite-3d-240gb-25-solid-state-drive-t253td240g3c101

Yeah I have been tossing around the idea of a new PC right now too, but I think I am gonna wait for zen 2 and see... or maybe I will just bite the bullet and get off my cheap @#$@ and build an 8700k system..