Turn off/Disable HDD

Accelerator19981

my quastion:
Im looking for a way to completly disable the hdd when I dont need it. I tried to do that by using the device manager/ partition management but there is no such option. I also went to the Bios settings but I have a very basic Laptop Bios and there is also no option to control hard drives...

Full text:

I have a msi gaming Laptop with nvme and hard drive. Windows 10 and all programs are installed on the Nvme and I use the 1TB HDD for games/movies etc.
Since Im currently studing at the college I usually use my laptop for writing Projects and browsering the internet.
The "Problem" I have is that the hdd keep spinning which is annoying for me while studying and waste my battery when im outside.
Things I tried:
 I went to the power Option and set the hdd to turn off after 1 min, which kinda worked but apperntly alot of things could trigger the hdd to spin like openning windows explorer, so what I did is locking the hdd partition with bitlock and that helped too. Now opening windows explorer doesn`t trigger it anymore.
But windows still decide randomaly to turn on the hdd especailly when I go afk for copule of minutes.
any help is appreciated! ❤️

Turning an HDD on and off is bad for its lifespan.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

3 minutes ago, Accelerator19981 said:

my quastion:
Im looking for a way to completly disable the hdd when I dont need it. I tried to do that by using the device manager/ partition management but there is no such option. I also went to the Bios settings but I have a very basic Laptop Bios and there is also no option to control hard drives...

Set how long your Hard Drive stays on before it turns off in your preferred Power Plan by going into Advanced settings and setting "Turn off hard disk after".

If it still stays on forever then there's something using it, either a program or maybe a monitoring program that forces the hard drive to stay on to monitor it.

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

1 minute ago, syn2112 said:

Set how long your Hard Drive stays on before it turns off in your preferred Power Plan by going into Advanced settings and setting "Turn off hard disk after".

If it still stays on forever then there's something using it, either a program or maybe a monitoring program that forces the hard drive to stay on to monitor it.

for example opening Task Manager spins up my hard drive to monitor it.

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

Can you sata ports be setup as hot swap? If so you can do safely remove device this should park the drive. It will disconnect the drive letter until you restart or search for devices in device manager. Also you could take the drive out and put in an external enclosure and only connect it when you need it.

Internet Connection

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X @ 4.3Ghz | Asus Prime X470-Pro | Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (4 x 8GB) DDR-4 3000Mhz OC'd @ 3400Mhz 16-20-20-38 |

EVGA RTX 2070 8GB XC Gaming OC @ 2145Mhz Boosted/ 1925Mhz Memory | WD SN750 500GB M.2 NVME | Gigabye 240GB SSD | 
XSPC EX 360mm | Corsair XC7 RGB CPU WB | EK-Vector RTX 2080 | Alphacool Eisbecher D5 150mm Plexi | XSPC Fittings | XSPC FLX Clear 7/16" ID, 5/8" OD |
Corsair LL120 x6 | Corsair RM750x White 2018 | Corsair Commander Pro | Corsair Obsidian 500D RGB SE | Corsair RGB LED Lighting PRO Expansion |
Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2 | Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless 18,000DPI | Acer 32" 4K 60Hz HDR600 Cert. ET322QK CBMIIPZX |

Passmark Score

3dmark Score

PC Parts Picker Link to Build

Network

Netgear LBR20 LTE Router | Verizon Unlimited Prepaid Hotspot Plan

HP 2530-48G-PoEP Switch

Rasberry Pi 4 Running Pihole

Linksys Velop 3 Mesh Wifi AP's

16 hours ago, Enderman said:

Turning an HDD on and off is bad for its lifespan.

Wait really? isn't it supposed to make the lifespan longer since Im using it less?

7 minutes ago, Accelerator19981 said:

Wait really? isn't it supposed to make the lifespan longer since Im using it less?

No.

A lot of the wear on an HDD is the spin up/down cycles.

It is better to have it left on or off for long periods of time.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020