Noob Questions For Overclocking

Monti

Hello people of the forum. I'm here to ask how do I go about overclocking my GPU. I know that you increase the clock speeds of the card in some application. Though what is a safe way to go about overclocking my card. I have a Sapphire 7870 ghz edition and I want to get a few more frames in my games. I don't want to push the limits on the card but I would like to get as much as I'm comfortable with. I use MSI afterburner but I don't know how to stress test it when I OC it. Also if any other person has OC my brand of card can you please tell me what you OC is on the card. Thanks and have a good day/night.

Edit what is a safe max temp?

Edit 2- what are the affects of overclocking besides more heat and performance? 

CPU-- AMD FX-8320 (Stock), Motherboard-- ASUS M5A99FX PRO R 2.0, RAM-- Team 8gb 1600Mhz, GPU-- Sapphire 7870 GHz with OC Edition, Case-- NZXT Tempest 210, PSU-- Corsair CX600m, HDD, 1tb Seagate & 2tb WD External, Monitor-- Dell S2240M IPS Display, Keyboard/Mouse-- Some Logitech keyboard and some Dell mouse, Speakers-- Logitech Z533

Temp wise never go past 90 C

Well if you go for 18ghz on the core you could will fry your card

Hope I could help!

Specs: CPU: AMD FX-8320 @4.0ghz GPU: ASUS DCUII GTX 770 PSU: EVGA Supernova 750g CASE: Fractal Define R4 RAM: 8 Gigabytes ADATA 1333 Mhz MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3

Well after a little bit of playing around I managed to get 100 more mhz on my core making it 1150. I haven't tried the memory yet and didn't touch the voltage either. It only reaches 65 degrees C in stress test. I know it doesn't sound like an improvement but I think I did well. The only problem I see is that I can't see VRM temps on my card so I have no idea what temps they are reaching. Well thank you for answering my question.

CPU-- AMD FX-8320 (Stock), Motherboard-- ASUS M5A99FX PRO R 2.0, RAM-- Team 8gb 1600Mhz, GPU-- Sapphire 7870 GHz with OC Edition, Case-- NZXT Tempest 210, PSU-- Corsair CX600m, HDD, 1tb Seagate & 2tb WD External, Monitor-- Dell S2240M IPS Display, Keyboard/Mouse-- Some Logitech keyboard and some Dell mouse, Speakers-- Logitech Z533

Turns out that it wasn't stable and crashed while playing some BF3. What do I don next?

If its not stable, increase voltage by a little and run test again, keep repeating until stable.

If its not stable, increase voltage by a little and run test again, keep repeating until stable.

Update- as of looking more into how to use afterburner. I found out that changing the power limiter can help with stability. With that at 13% I have a stable 1150 mhz on core. It is a nice little 1-4 frame boost.

Edit I got it to 11%