Looking for a QUIET Workstation for $2050

Go to solution Solved by jerubedo,

Here's what I came up with:

So let me break this down for you. From a being quiet perspective:

- The H150i is one of the most quiet coolers on the market at 33.1db(A). That is using it's "quiet" profile, which it's optimized to use and still cools as well as top air coolers using that profile. It uses magnetic levetation fans for maximum silence. It also supports the fans turning off when the CPU is idle, making it completely silent at idle. You're going to want to front mount this to the R6 tower I have in the build, removing the noisier fans from the front.

- The extra fan I have is for the rear of the case. Again, it's an ML fan, so it's very quiet. Replace the default rear fan with this.

- The power supply is 1200w, WAY more than you need. The reason for that is because this particular power supply has a fan that does not spin up until 40% load is reached, which is a load you will never hit on these parts, meaning the fan will never spin up and it'll be completely silent in operation.

- The video card is a triple fan design, for better cooling while remaining quieter than dual and single fan designs. This will still be the loudest part in the whole system at load, but should be bearable.

Performance-wise:

- The 9900K has leading performance in Premiere Pro CC. It's not THE top CPU for it, but it's close.

- The GTX 1660 Ti is a excellent pairing for Premiere Pro. You COULD go higher than this, but it starts to have a diminishing return.

- 32GB of RAM, which is the recommended amount from Adobe for 4K video editing.

-1TB NVME 3D TLC 600TBW endurance M.2 SSD. Basically this thing is fast and durable. I paired it with a 3TB enterprise HDD, which again is reliable and is great for storing large videos.

That's about it. Let me know if you have any questions!

So how are you going to cool cpu? No fans and 200W load? 600rpm psu fan makes no difference when the system is under load.

2 minutes ago, FinalFantasyBros said:

I've asked for as quiet as possible. I can still hear a fan at 500 RPM. I want no noise if possible, and it sounds like using the 1200w PSU makes that possible. So that's my plan now. I've done some digging too and I found a video from JayzTwoCents where he used a 1200w PSU in a low powered system and he verified it never kicked on. The fanless options look interesting as well but it seems they will be hotter since they are under more load. So I'd rather just get the higher one...

you think a psu produces much heat?

no

if you want a quiet system i suggest the following

don't get a 300 watt cpu, passive cool everything in a big box and only then it'll never have to kick in

if you want something reasonable, i suggest a big watercooler, a good psu on level that it should be, not a 1200 watt, but just a good 600+ watt like the formula, hxi, or dark power.

13 minutes ago, jerubedo said:

draws no more than 430w OVERCLOCKED

and this system can pull 300 on the cpu already...

1 minute ago, thinwalrus said:

So how are you going to cool cpu? No fans and 200W load? 600rpm psu fan makes no difference when the system is under load.

200? it's even close to 300 from what I've seen

15 minutes ago, jerubedo said:

It's more about the heat at 80% load and no fan to cool it.

9900k + RTX 2060 can't even push a 600w unit to 80% load, it's more around 66% (400w in stress test, Premiere probably can't hit that either). Besides, what does higher temperature do to a PSU that's designed to handle even worse situations?

he whole point is that it doesn't matter. The system I built draws no more than 430w OVERCLOCKED, so the fan would never kick on, period. no fan = 100% silent.

so use a PSU that doesnt have a fan to kick on?

And what exactly is wrong with 92% efficiency?? 

More heat from a semi-fanless PSU that is working fanless compared to a completely fanless one = semi-fanless runs hotter.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

4 minutes ago, FinalFantasyBros said:

I've asked for as quiet as possible. I can still hear a fan at 500 RPM.

There are fans and there are fans.

The good ones don't have any noticable motor/bearing noise at all.

Its really hard to hear them.

While other fans you can hear from like 50m away even at 350rpm.

And I have them both...

A good fan like Noctua aren't noticable at 500rpm...

I want no noise if possible, and it sounds like using the 1200w PSU makes that possible.

No, that's wrong. 

You want a QUIET PSU, not a high wattage one.

See the Links.

I've done some digging too and I found a video from JayzTwoCents where he used a 1200w PSU in a low powered system and he verified it never kicked on.

He ain't no expert in PSU.

Tweakpc.de is.

They MEASURED the Fan RPM.

And I've heard some of them.

The Bitfenix is OK, not great.

The be quiet Pure Power is really hardly noticable.

The fanless options look interesting as well but it seems they will be hotter since they are under more load. So I'd rather just get the higher one...

so are the Semi-Fanless as no airflow is crap and heats up the stuff.

Even a 250rpm fan is a huge difference.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

3 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

You want a QUIET PSU, not a high wattage one.

But the high wattage one makes it so that my load wouldn't ever trip the fan, correct? That's all I want: fanless and cool. I mean if you're saying that the fanless 600w one is no warmer at 80% load than the 1200w one at 35% load, then OK, I guess I'll get a fanless one.

10 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

More heat from a semi-fanless PSU that is working fanless compared to a completely fanless one = semi-fanless runs hotter.

Right, but most of those fan-less ones are no higher than 80+ silver meaning they have ~86% efficiency at 80% load. So the 92% efficiency at 40% or less load works out to less heat.

Just now, FinalFantasyBros said:

But the high wattage one makes it so that my load wouldn't ever trip the fan, correct?

No, that's bullshit.

You have to look for Reviews of the unit and see how loud or not it is.

Some PSU are quiet, with or without a fan.

Some PSU are loud as hell, with or without a fan.

And some PSU have a darn loud fan.

That's all I want: fanless and cool.

That's an oxymoron. 

You can have it either cool or fanless.

Not BOTH!

I mean if you're saying that the fanless 600w one is no warmer at 80% load than the 1200w one at 35% load, then OK, I guess I'll get a fanless one.

420W vs 480W...

And also we don't know much about the heatsinks and other stuff.

So its impossible to say without actually measuring it.

3 minutes ago, jerubedo said:

Right, but most of those fan-less ones are no higher than 80+ silver meaning they have ~86% efficiency at 80% load. So the 92% efficiency at 40% or less load works out to less heat.

Where the heck do you get your information from?!
From 15 year old Computer Magazines from the Flea Market?!

There are only TWO fanless ATX units in recent years:
One Super Flower, one Seasonic.

And the Super Flower is gone already. Both were Gold.

And the Seasonic you can get right now is either Platinum or Titanium.

There is also something from smaller companys or that's not that well known like the Silverstone Nightjar SFX and the Enermax Digifanless.

But they are also PLATINUM.

1 minute ago, Stefan Payne said:

And the Seasonic you can get right now is either Platinum or Titanium.

Well THAT I was not aware of. I don't usually go for fan-less PSUs and I never have heard anything good about them. In that case I'd get behind the 600w Seasonic because then the efficiency is better than the 1200w under 40% load making it cooler.

9 minutes ago, jerubedo said:

I only put modular PSUs into builds this expensive, adding in "fanless" only leaves behind 80+ Platinum and Titanium options regardless of brand

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

13 minutes ago, FinalFantasyBros said:

But the high wattage one makes it so that my load wouldn't ever trip the fan, correct? That's all I want: fanless and cool. I mean if you're saying that the fanless 600w one is no warmer at 80% load than the 1200w one at 35% load, then OK, I guess I'll get a fanless one.

Do not buy the 1200 watt unit. Its 1 not that silent, 2 there has been better units mentioned.

3 if you want fanless, grab a fanless unit. Even if it gets a little hot, it doesnt matter as there is no fan to kick up.

11 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

No, that's bullshit.

That part is not BS. The HX1200 only turns the fan on once load exceeds 40%, so if you are under 40% load, the fan assuredly does not turn on.

Is this a troll topic? Or wtf is going on? I would like to see a cpu or gpu cooler run under 15dB on full load like these loud psu fans. Plus opening up the top of the case for 360 radiator will leak all noise out. 

Hx1200 is louder than rm750x. 

Spoiler

aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS81

aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS9V

2 minutes ago, thinwalrus said:

Is this a troll topic? Or wtf is going on? I would like to see a cpu or gpu cooler run under 15dB on full load like these loud psu fans. Plus opening up the top of the case for 360 radiator will leak all noise out. 

Hx1200 is louder than rm750x. 

Reveal hidden contents

aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS81

aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS9V

No of course it's not. I jsut want the quietest possible components. It sounds like the h150i is the quietest CPU cooler. It seems the 3 fam GPU is quieters than a single fan GPU. And it seems that a fanless or 1200w PSU is quieter.

HOW is the Hx1200 louder than the rm750x IF THE FAN DOESN'T KICK ON???? I don't understand some of these arguments. The PSU won't have the fan on so how exacly is it louder than a rm750x with a fan running?

And it seems that a fanless or 1200w PSU is quieter.

The 1200w is not quiter. Fanless is quitest but non of the other PSUs will actuallt be louder than other components, so in the end it doesnt matter and you just end up wasting money.

3 minutes ago, FinalFantasyBros said:

HOW is the Hx1200 louder than the rm750x IF THE FAN DOESN'T KICK ON????

Because under full load the PSUs fan will kick on. Its temp based and not wattage based. And the PSU wont be running in 20*C room temp 90% of the time. 

5 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Because under full load the PSUs fan will kick on. Its temp based and not wattage based. And the PSU wont be running in 20*C room temp 90% of the time. 

So are you saying their advertising is wrong then?

597ac014ba50d_Corsairfan.png.1ab6f7752790aa395fd35bda0edd2d72.png

Sort of, yeah

you have to make a choice: a good fan and have it run quiet

or have it running a bit hotter and get a fanless psu

10 minutes ago, FinalFantasyBros said:

its not "wrong" per say. but that curve is based on testing in a climate controlled enviroment. dont be surprised if the fan starts turning earlier. and your system will go over the "no fan zone" regardless. making it louder than the other PSUs mentioned. 

a good PSU is fine regardless. the 1200 watt unit is a waste of money. one could almost justify the fanless PSU if you were making a fanless system, but the total system noise will be the same, this is due to the other components being louder than the PSU fan of the good PSUs that have been mentioned

tl;dr: dont buy the 1200 watt PSU, grab on of the other units mentioned, or if want a actual silent PSU, the fanless is the way to go, but id recommend getting one of the good units mentioned

4 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

its not "wrong" per say. but that curve is based on testing in a climate controlled enviroment. dont be surprised if the fan starts turning earlier. and your system will go over the "no fan zone" regardless. making it louder than the other PSUs mentioned. 

a good PSU is fine regardless. the 1200 watt unit is a waste of money. one could almost justify the fanless PSU if you were making a fanless system, but the total system noise will be the same, this is due to the other components being louder than the PSU fan of the good PSUs that have been mentioned

tl;dr: dont buy the 1200 watt PSU, grab on of the other units mentioned, or if want a actual silent PSU, the fanless is the way to go, but id recommend getting one of the good units mentioned

On this forum they say the PSU doesn't turn on the fan REGARDLESS OF TEMP until 40% load (which matches what advertising says) I know it's the AX vs the HX but from what I can tell the fans work the same way on both:

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/ax1200i-high-temperature-but-fan-not-running.1981417/

What's the story here then?

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/ax1200i-high-temperature-but-fan-not-running.1981417/

They say it's regardless of temp and that it's all based on load.

I'm lost here then, but that sounds like a broken otp to me

@jonnyGURU you design these, explain please

On this forum they say the PSU doesn't turn on the fan REGARDLESS OF TEMP until 40% load (which matches what advertising says) I know it's the AX vs the HX but from what I can tell the fans work the same way on both:

the PSU is still a waste of money that wont make your system more silent. 

your system will trip the 40% load. or the 30% showed in the slide. and the moment the fans start spinning, as mentioned, its louder than the other units mentioned. 

Just now, GoldenLag said:

the PSU is still a waste of money that wont make your system more silent. 

your system will trip the 40% load. or the 30% showed in the slide. and the moment the fans start spinning, as mentioned, its louder than the other units mentioned. 

Last question, how would it trip 40% load though? If my load is 400w (and PCPP says it's less actually) then how am I tripping it? PCPP says 380w, which is less than 40% (and less than 35%).

23 hours ago, thinwalrus said:

*snip*

*redacted*

I don't understand why this has turned into such a volitile thread. I liked the build recommended and then everyone started fighting over what seems like nitty gritty details. I want a quiet build, as my original message says. Sound is cumulative. 20db from the case fans adds to the 30db of the GPU fan, which adds to the 15db of the PSU fan, which adds to the 20db of the HDD noise. When you add all those decibles it's loud. removing a decible here ad there HELPS. I have special HDD padding just to eliminate drive noise. All I want is the most quiet parts available on the market.

Edited by wkdpaul