Why NEVER buy custom built PC if you have no knowledge to the specs

I grabbed a friend's unwanted pc said it was bought 5~6yr ago(used for 3yrs actively as I know), for USD700~800, he couldnt remember

almost half a yr earlier, his 1tb seagate drive dead,  and couldnt post with the psu, so I just replaced that with spare, no big deal.

now I have time to look at it, specs: obviously a scam,

i5 2500 w/stock cooler

2x4gb toshiba ram (with original packing)

gigabyte h61 d2s

Fake FORSA GTX550ti 3gb turns out to be gts450, (- cannot install NV latest driver said not supported, currently on ver 388.xx auto installed by win10)

FPS 650w 80+gold psu

Cooler Master Elite 335U

1tb(dying as of now) + 500gb drive

LG cd(or dvd) drive, whatever, its not connected... 

I am sure my friend has minimal to no knowledge to pc and havent modify it since he bought it.

because the shop use to curl all the wires to shortest and just fit, its impossible to change anything without unwhine it.

other than fake gpu & over powered psu which would take ~$100 of that build, 

I found the the dying 1tb drive could be a used part. I took it apart recently and reassemble it, after tons of software fixing, defrag and stuff etc. it is finally usable. the problem is : from seagate tool it shows total written as 12PB, (1P = 1000T)

How can anyone write 12PB ? or am I just looking at it too simple

anyone have worse experience?

1 hour ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

I grabbed a friend's unwanted pc said it was bought 5~6yr ago(used for 3yrs actively as I know), for USD700~800, he couldnt remember

almost half a yr earlier, his 1tb seagate drive dead,  and couldnt post with the psu, so I just replaced that with spare, no big deal.

i5 2500 w/stock cooler

gigabyte h61 d2s

Fake FORSA GTX550ti 3gb turns out to be gts450, (- cannot install NV latest driver said not supported, currently on ver 388.xx auto installed by win10)

FPS 650w 80+gold psu

Cooler Master Elite 335U

I am sure my friend has minimal to no knowledge to pc and havent modify it since he bought it.

because the shop use to curl all the wires to shortest and just fit, its impossible to change anything without unwhine it.

I found the the dying 1tb drive could be a used part. I took it apart recently and reassemble it, after tons of software fixing, defrag and stuff etc. it is finally usable. the problem is : from seagate tool it shows total written as 12PB, (1P = 1000T)

bad friend.

How's his return policy?

Bought a virtual warranty for my virtual machine. Cost me virtually nothing!

2 hours ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

i5 2500 w/stock cooler

gigabyte h61 d2s

FPS 650w 80+gold psu

Cooler Master Elite 335U

That's not a "friend". The fact that this "mystery spec" PC was allowed to be bought before knowing the specs is equally your fault as it is his for setting it up like that.

I'd personally say it's your fault more than his.

S.K.Y.N.E.T. v4.3

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RX 6700XT |   Twin 24" Pixio PX248 Prime 1080p 144Hz Displays | 256GB Sabrent NVMe (OS) | 500GB Samsung 840 Pro #1 | 500GB Samsung 840 Pro #2 | 2TB Samsung 860 Evo1TB Western Digital NVMe | 2TB Sabrent NVMe | Intel Wireless-AC 9260

12 minutes ago, Imglidinhere said:

I'd personally say it's your fault more than his.

what have I done!? he bought a pc and got scam way before I know him lol

1 hour ago, LinusTech said:

bad friend.

whats the logic here becoming bad friend ? he is migrating and tossing everything away.