Which TN Panel? This IPS Worth It?

ch3w2oy

So I've decided to get a 1440p 144hz TN panel to game on and Keep my 4k screen for work. My original plan was to sell my 4k and get an IPS 1440p 144hz screen but it appears that I can get a TN and keep the 4k for the same price the IPS would cost me.. Unless someone can tell me why I shouldn't get a TN? 

I made a post about this Acer Nitro VG1, which I really would like to get as it would allow me to get an IPS display and keep my 4k. I can't find enough information on this display though and it's 1ms (VRB), which doesn't work with freesync enabled anyway and is pointless and I would never use it anyway as the brightness is also compromised. I've found a few places that either say the G2G is 4ms or 8ms, and so I'm afraid to try it as the whole reason of this purchase is for esports gaming like CSGO and Apex. I think if it was the 4ms that would be fine.

Clearification: I do not need the best input lag. I would still sacrifice a little bit for a better display. 

If anyone can share whether or not that Nitro monitor is worth trying, please do so. I would buy it in a flash if I knew I was getting decent input lag but I can't figure it out..

Otherwise, I'm thinking about getting this Dell 1440 155hz TN. Is this worth getting?

I know this monitor is more expensive due to g sync, but is the display better?  Acer Predator XB271HU Abmiprz. Or is the Dell better? Both seem to have decent reviews.

I have an offer with someone for my 4k + $250 for the Acer Predator 1440p 144hz G-Sync IPS display. Just do that? 

My sig is inaccurate and I have a 9700k + RTX 2080 now. So I don't care if it's G-Sync or Freesync as either are both valid options.

Ryzen 3800X + MEG ACE w/ Radeon VII + 3733 c14 Trident Z RGB in a Custom Loop powered by Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium
PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | My Build

I've found I much prefer not-TN panels for just about every use recently since the better color makes things look a lot nicer. But, if you are just gaming on it there is no super compelling reason to go for an IPS or VA panel over TN, and in fact the faster pixel response times makes the TN panel arguably superior, minus the color and viewing angle compromises.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

12 minutes ago, ch3w2oy said:

I have an offer with someone for my 4k + $250 for the Acer Predator 1440p 144hz G-Sync IPS display. Just do that? 

My sig is inaccurate and I have a 9700k + RTX 2080 now. So I don't care if it's G-Sync or Freesync as either are both valid options.

Yes i would do that for sure...i use the predator myself for gaming and it's OUTSTANDING...250$ is nothing...give him that crap 4K piece of trash of yours and tell him a huge thanks.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

6 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

Yes i would do that for sure...i use the predator myself for gaming and it's OUTSTANDING...250$ is nothing...give him that crap 4K piece of trash of yours and tell him a huge thanks.

Haha. I really should shouldn't I? No compromises.

Ryzen 3800X + MEG ACE w/ Radeon VII + 3733 c14 Trident Z RGB in a Custom Loop powered by Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium

@i_build_nanosuits

Does the xf270hu and the one you have use the same display? I remember doing a Google search the other day and I saw you commented about it in January.. I just bought one from Micro Center because the dude I was trading tried giving me the TN panel LOL. 

9 hours ago, ch3w2oy said:

@i_build_nanosuits

Does the xf270hu and the one you have use the same display? I remember doing a Google search the other day and I saw you commented about it in January.. I just bought one from Micro Center because the dude I was trading tried giving me the TN panel LOL. 

Yes it's exactly the same panel but with Freesync instead of Gsync.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Understand that manufactuer specified response times are meaningless. There is no industry wide standard for it, the figures listed are always incorrect.

There are no LCD monitors out, even TN, that can achieve 1ms 100% transition speeds.. none.

The best you can hope for is about 4ms, and that limits you do TN only. However your only going to be able to find out what the actual real response time is from reviewers that test for it.

Understand also that since ur limited to TN , dont expect good dark image performance, color gamut & accuracy, uniformity, or viewing angles. TN's only redeeming feature is its faster pixel response vs IPS and VA. Even the most expensive 'gaming' models will perform poorly in these areas.

Also keep an eye on advertised refresh rates. A Panel that has a 100% pixel transtion reponse time of higher than 7ms wont be able to keep up with 144 refresh.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |