New build/upgrade question/conserns

CorCat87

my current set up is i7-4770k and a Asus z-97 deluxe, and this is what I'm planning https://pcpartpicker.com/list/4N3VKB . My questions are other then needing my original windows key because of the motherboard swap. Are there any other issues I might run in to when changing MOBOs. Like with drivers and stuff. Also I know I have a lot of programs I installed with the motherboard, most I don't use like wifi engine and others, I just wanted to see what there were at the time. Also others that I do use like fan expert. Will they just be replaced with what ever is new, if there is anything or will I to play around and delete stuff. Also I'm useing realtek audio and I see the new motherboard used soundfx. I guess in the end will I have to do a little bit of fixing, will windows kind of handle most of it. Or am I just better going with a fresh install?

1. Don't get this Motherboard. Spending 80% of your CPU money on a Motherboard is a bit extrem. If you don't want to get an extrem Overclock a 200 $ Z390 like Taichi, Aorus Ultra or ROG Maximus XI are more than enough and will handle a decent OC.

2. You need a CPU cooler because k-series chips don't come with one. Unless you want to reuse your current one. But the 9900k is a power hungry little space heater. So maybe take some of the money you saved on the motherboard and get a Dark Rock 4 (Pro) or a D-14/ D-15

3. Depending on your Windows license (upgraded win 7/8 or bought) you can reactivate windows on another MB a limited amount of times. 

4. Nowadays Windows usually gets all the necessary drivers you need automatically. But it doesn't hurt to download the drivers from your MB manufacturer first and installing the SSD after you have done that. That way you can avoid any issue with Ethernet drivers. 

5. Changing platform like that might cause some significant driver issues. The saves bet would be a clean install. Especially audio drivers are a bit sassy and are a common cause of the feared bsod.

I would recommend saving your Data and just try the swap. If it doesn't work just make a fresh windows install. But keep a Bootable USB-Stick at hand.

3 hours ago, Manderis said:

1. Don't get this Motherboard. Spending 80% of your CPU money on a Motherboard is a bit extrem. If you don't want to get an extrem Overclock a 200 $ Z390 like Taichi, Aorus Ultra or ROG Maximus XI are more than enough and will handle a decent OC.

2. You need a CPU cooler because k-series chips don't come with one. Unless you want to reuse your current one. But the 9900k is a power hungry little space heater. So maybe take some of the money you saved on the motherboard and get a Dark Rock 4 (Pro) or a D-14/ D-15

3. Depending on your Windows license (upgraded win 7/8 or bought) you can reactivate windows on another MB a limited amount of times. 

4. Nowadays Windows usually gets all the necessary drivers you need automatically. But it doesn't hurt to download the drivers from your MB manufacturer first and installing the SSD after you have done that. That way you can avoid any issue with Ethernet drivers. 

5. Changing platform like that might cause some significant driver issues. The saves bet would be a clean install. Especially audio drivers are a bit sassy and are a common cause of the feared bsod.

I would recommend saving your Data and just try the swap. If it doesn't work just make a fresh windows install. But keep a Bootable USB-Stick at hand.

3 hours ago, lee32uk said:

I'm planning on doing a custom loop, I like the integrated VRM cooler, Also looking to buy a house next year, so this is one last irresponsible purchase so I'm going all out 

I still have my windows 7 disk(I'll get a USB CD drive) and key, I've already upgraded to 10. So if I do need Todo a fresh install. Hopefully I can still get a free update, which I see is still possible. But I probably won't be doing this till the end of the year