Network Projects Drive

I currently work for a post production company in Colorado. We are making some workflow adjustments and one of them would be transitioning from local storage of the project folder structure (.pproj and .aep files included) to one centralized server location. This way every editor has access to any project without having to transfer from computer to computer. We have 6 edit bays and this can be a hassle sometimes.

How would you tackle this problem? 

I understand there can be issues with people saving over someone else’s work. But, that's were premiere project locking could come in handy. After Effects doesn’t have this feature yet, not sure how to ensure safety of those files. Also, the network could haver a hiccup and the project could have trouble saving. We will still keep auto saves locally on each system.

I would love to hear any suggestions you guys might have.

Thank you!

Get a server, set up Active Directory, set up a file share, set up permissions fitting for your needs, set up a backup.

3 minutes ago, Acedia said:

Get a server, set up Active Directory, set up a file share, set up permissions fitting for your needs, set up a backup.

I failed to mention we are running MacOS.

2 hours ago, cbutters said:

image.png.a91fef7a388910517602e0a3b0f9bbce.png

As a dark theme user, I am unable to read your initial post. Tag me once you've updated it to use automatic colors using the editor, and I'll see if I'm able to answer your question.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

1 hour ago, kirashi said:

As a dark theme user, I am unable to read your initial post. Tag me once you've updated it to use automatic colors using the editor, and I'll see if I'm able to answer your question.

Sorry about that @kirashi! New user over here.

I currently work for a post production company in Colorado. We are making some workflow adjustments and one of them would be transitioning from local storage of the project folder structure (.pproj and .aep files included) to one centralized server location. This way every editor has access to any project without having to transfer from computer to computer. We have 6 edit bays and this can be a hassle sometimes.

How would you tackle this problem? 

I understand there can be issues with people saving over someone else’s work. But, that's were premiere project locking could come in handy. After Effects doesn’t have this feature yet, not sure how to ensure safety of those files. Also, the network could haver a hiccup and the project could have trouble saving. We will still keep auto saves locally on each system.

Thank you!

7 minutes ago, cbutters said:

Sorry about that @kirashi! New user over here.

How would you tackle this problem? 

Thank you!

No problem; thanks for fixing the text color :) Since Adobe doesn't yet have true collaboration for their applications, one solution is to assign each editor to different portions of a project, then merge the projects together afterward. This does take a lot of coordination though, so a better idea would be to have each editor assigned to a different type of editing - have a couple main editors, someone responsible for opening / ending credits, the advertising spot guy, the b-roll guy, and the "guy" guy, because you always need one of those.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

3 hours ago, cbutters said:

I failed to mention we are running MacOS.

OS X can handle Windows SMB file shares no problem, and can authenticate against Active Directory. Centralizing the storage is easy.  The workflow management is harder and not always a Software solution, sometimes its a People solution.

Home PC: Apple M1 Mini, 16gb, 1TB, 10Gig-E.  Adobe CC and Ripping things + Daily stuff.

Gaming PC: Ryzen 7 5800x, 32GB, Nvidia RTX 3080Ti stuffed into a Corsair 380T.

Asgard the FreeNAS Plex Server: AMD EPYC 7443p 24 Core, SuperMicro H12SSL-CT Mobo, 256GB DDR4 3200mhz, Norco 4224 Rack Mount. 100TB+ TrueNAS Core.

Toys:

2017 Focus RS | Frozen White | Daily Driver

1989 Pontiac TransAm | GM Triple White | Heads/Cammed LT1 + T56 swap | Suspension goodies up the wazoo. | HPDE Weekend Warrior toy.