1080p build which gpu better value?

Galion
Go to solution Solved by Maximusfoximus,

I personally would go with the 1070 for three main reasons: driver maturity, video memory size, and ray tracing quality of 2060.

In terms of driver maturity, the 1070 has many years and many game launches since its release and those games run extremely well on the pascal architecture. Many games were specifically built with pascal in mind and Nvidia has has several years to perfect drivers for those chips.

Even though the Rtx 2060 may have faster video memory overall, in my experience in video memory it’s quantity over quality. Games, especially AAA ones, devour that memory with high resolution textures and it should give you more breathing room as future games release more complex textures in the future. 

If if you watched Linus’s review of the 2060, it is not that much faster than the 1070 and your paying for that “ray tracing” that, as Linus had said, really doesn’t make sense on a mid teir gpu like the 2060 as you would have to drop to like 720p low to use it. 

Overall it it is ultimately the description of raw speed over raw compute power, but based on those three reasons and the fact that modern games are still using rasterization anyway, the 1070 seems like a good bet, plus it’s a while 100 dollars cheaper and that is nothing to scoff at. The dual fans will also give it a boost speed advantage.

Intel 8400 build

Zotac RTX 2060 AMP 6gb or Zotac GTX 1070 8gb twin fan 

Zotac RTX 2060 AMP 6gb - $349.00

Zotac GTX 1070 8gb twin fan $279.00

Which has a better value? 

Best Value Build List

Budget 1080p System (RGB) https://pcpartpicker.com/list/7v2Lmq - (this build comes with two free games with the RX 570) 

What games are you playing and what is your target FPS?

One game will need a 2060 to get 60fps  and another game could do 100+ with a card half the cost.

I play Rocket league and Skyrim so I have an RX580 that serves both very well and was quite cheap.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

5 minutes ago, NineEyeRon said:

What games are you playing and what is your target FPS?

One game will need a 2060 to get 60fps  and another game could do 100+ with a card half the cost.

I play Rocket league and Skyrim so I have an RX580 that serves both very well and was quite cheap.

The only 3 games I had to copy were:

Battlefield 1,dirt rally and rocket league 

Best Value Build List

Budget 1080p System (RGB) https://pcpartpicker.com/list/7v2Lmq - (this build comes with two free games with the RX 570) 

35 minutes ago, Galion said:

Why the 8400?

If you're only gaming at 1080p 60hz buy an RX 580

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

I personally would go with the 1070 for three main reasons: driver maturity, video memory size, and ray tracing quality of 2060.

In terms of driver maturity, the 1070 has many years and many game launches since its release and those games run extremely well on the pascal architecture. Many games were specifically built with pascal in mind and Nvidia has has several years to perfect drivers for those chips.

Even though the Rtx 2060 may have faster video memory overall, in my experience in video memory it’s quantity over quality. Games, especially AAA ones, devour that memory with high resolution textures and it should give you more breathing room as future games release more complex textures in the future. 

If if you watched Linus’s review of the 2060, it is not that much faster than the 1070 and your paying for that “ray tracing” that, as Linus had said, really doesn’t make sense on a mid teir gpu like the 2060 as you would have to drop to like 720p low to use it. 

Overall it it is ultimately the description of raw speed over raw compute power, but based on those three reasons and the fact that modern games are still using rasterization anyway, the 1070 seems like a good bet, plus it’s a while 100 dollars cheaper and that is nothing to scoff at. The dual fans will also give it a boost speed advantage.

9 minutes ago, Maximusfoximus said:

Thanks 

Best Value Build List

3 hours ago, Streetguru said:

Why the 8400?

If you're only gaming at 1080p 60hz buy an RX 580

i5s are the best for the average gamer, I have an i5 8600 and it’s superb. 

I built my rig to upgrade to 1440p for the games I play, anything over an i5 8600 seemed a waste of money I could use to save up for a 1440p monitor and a card to drive it.

I am looking at second hand 1080s or even the ti version as have no need for ray tracing in this rig.

1 minute ago, NineEyeRon said:

i5s are the best for the average gamer,

I wouldn't buy it exactly just for the gaming performance.

In the US you can get a Ryzen 7 1700 8 core for $169, vs the $199 of the i5 8400 to keep your options open as far as what your PC can do.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

In the US you can get a Ryzen 7 1700 8 core for $169, vs the $199 of the i5 8400 to keep your options open as far as what your PC can do.

For me the single thread performance of intels are always worth the extra cost. It this isn’t intel vs AMD as IMO you choose which is best for your needs or wants then compere within them. Comparing AMD this to Intel that is usually pointless.

A bit like comparing a Delivery truck to a Sports car for performance. They both do the things they do well. When buying you decide up front if your buying a truck or a car.

Just now, NineEyeRon said:

But the like actual difference at the end is going to be like 15-20 fps at most, when you're already over 100fps, and at higher resolution that difference will shrink.

Except the i5 loses the ability to do things like OBS recording, or any multi-threaded workload compared to the 8 cores/16 threads on the R7 1700.

And depending on the game an overclock i3 8350K can be faster than the i5 8400.

The difference here is between the faster 8700K even. and it's not too huge.

Spoiler

13 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

But the like actual difference at the end is going to be like 15-20 fps at most, when you're already over 100fps, and at higher resolution that difference will shrink.

Except the i5 loses the ability to do things like OBS recording, or any multi-threaded workload compared to the 8 cores/16 threads on the R7 1700.

And depending on the game an overclock i3 8350K can be faster than the i5 8400.

The difference here is between the faster 8700K even. and it's not too huge.

All very true but I’m a dad in my late 30s who mostly plays older games, some CPU intensive. Buy the equipment for your use case and not for what it “can” do.

Unless your an enthusiast or have a big enough budget.

1 hour ago, Streetguru said:

1 hour ago, NineEyeRon said:

For me the single thread performance of intels are always worth the extra cost. It this isn’t intel vs AMD as IMO you choose which is best for your needs or wants then compere within them. Comparing AMD this to Intel that is usually pointless.

A bit like comparing a Delivery truck to a Sports car for performance. They both do the things they do well. When buying you decide up front if your buying a truck or a car.

Thank you both of you but the kid wants intel who am I to argue, and he's 10 years old my guess he ain't doing any multi thread work just gaming either way thanks guys. 

Best Value Build List

2 minutes ago, Galion said:

Thank you both of you but the kid wants intel who am I to argue, and he's 10 years old my guess he ain't doing any multi thread work just gaming either way thanks guys. 

If that's the case I'd just get him a $400 R3 2200G PC that's likely good enough assuming all he's going to play is  fortnite.

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Streetguru said:

If that's the case I'd just get him a $400 R3 2200G PC that's likely good enough assuming all he's going to play is  fortnite.

Believe me this 10year old plays more then fortnight lol

Gta v, Assassin creed, Battlefield, and many more. 

Best Value Build List

9 minutes ago, Galion said:

Believe me this 10year old plays more then fortnight lol

Gta v, Assassin creed, Battlefield, and many more. 

Then I refer back to RX 570/580 likely being good enough and under $200

Spoiler