HELP! my r9 390 strix goes to 95c whenever i do anything slightly graphical

Couny

Hello! SO yesterday I clean out my pc with compressed air after a few years of dust build up. I tried to take off the front panel of my gpu but that did not work so i put all the screws back in but 2 that i could not get back in. Those screws only held the plastic frame to 1 half of the gpu that is it. When i went back to turn my pc on whenever i tried to watch a twitch stream my graphics card would hit 95c instantly and the fans would get really loud. The issue is the back plate of the graphics card is not hot AT ALL. I'm very confused because this started happening AFTER i cleaned it out with compressed air.

Can anyone help me please??

Graphics card: r9 390 strix 

i can post my other pc specs if I need to. 

21 minutes ago, Couny said:

Hello! SO yesterday I clean out my pc with compressed air after a few years of dust build up. I tried to take off the front panel of my gpu but that did not work so i put all the screws back in but 2 that i could not get back in. Those screws only held the plastic frame to 1 half of the gpu that is it. When i went back to turn my pc on whenever i tried to watch a twitch stream my graphics card would hit 95c instantly and the fans would get really loud. The issue is the back plate of the graphics card is not hot AT ALL. I'm very confused because this started happening AFTER i cleaned it out with compressed air.

Can anyone help me please??

Graphics card: r9 390 strix 

i can post my other pc specs if I need to. 

Did by any chance made a move that could have "move" the thermal paste on the gpu die ?

Replace your GPU's thermal paste.

It definitely sounds like you haven't got enough thermal paste, especially considering the fact that (from what I can gather) you opened it then reassembled the GPU without checking how much thermal paste is left on the GPU die. 

Replacing the thermal paste can make a pretty nice difference to temperatures, and if you replace the paste you might even see better temperatures than what you were getting previously.

I would personally recommend Arctic MX-4 seeing as it's non-conductive and it's generally quite good thermal paste for the money. I used it on my GTX 960, it works great.

Just now, blastreaper101 said:

Did by any chance made a move that could have "move" the thermal paste on the gpu die ?

Hmm i thought about that but i for sure never separated on moved the gpu in a way that could have messed up the thermal paste. Even when holding the gpu together with my hands (after grounding myself) and turning on twitch it still hits 95c :( 

1 minute ago, 1kv said:

Replace your GPU's thermal paste.

It definitely sounds like you haven't got enough thermal paste, especially considering the fact that (from what I can gather) you opened it then reassembled the GPU without checking how much thermal paste is left on the GPU die. 

i never even got close to the gpu processor is why im confused but it definitely sounds like a thermal paste issue which is why im confused on how that could have even happened.

Just now, Couny said:

Hmm i thought about that but i for sure never separated on moved the gpu in a way that could have messed up the thermal paste. Even when holding the gpu together with my hands (after grounding myself) and turning on twitch it still hits 95c :( 

Like 1kv said, I believe it's a thermal paste problem, since you mention your fan are still okay

1 minute ago, blastreaper101 said:

Like 1kv said, I believe it's a thermal paste problem, since you mention your fan are still okay

ok i will work on that thanks !

1 minute ago, Couny said:

i never even got close to the gpu processor is why im confused but it definitely sounds like a thermal paste issue which is why im confused on how that could have even happened.

Sometime when the card is a bit hold and we manipulate it, the thermal paste is going a bit more hard and if the "seal" break during manipulation, bad contact appears and thermal go sky rocking

4 minutes ago, Couny said:

Over time, thermal paste can start to degrade. Combined with you opening and re-assembling the GPU, it sounds to me like you need to re-apply thermal paste.

Thermal paste is pretty cheap (I recommend Arctic MX-4) and it usually takes about 45 minutes to open up the card, clean off the old thermal paste, apply the new thermal paste then put it back together.

1 minute ago, 1kv said:

Over time, thermal paste can start to degrade. Combine that with you opening and re-assembling the GPU, it sounds to me like you need to re-apply thermal paste.

Thermal paste is pretty cheap and it usually takes about 45 minutes to open up the card, clean off the old thermal paste, apply the new thermal paste then put it back together.

Thanks for the help! i will definitely go do that.

Just now, Couny said:

Thanks for the help! i will definitely go do that.

No problem, I'm glad I could help :)