Best, Cheapest USB Cables?

bmichaels556

So... I gotta' say, when it comes to USB cables, I've been through a bit of 'em all. From higher quality, more premium cables, to bottom of the barrel, 10 for $5 kind of junk. But you know what my biggest issue is? Sometimes, these cables are more similar than you might think. Or sometimes they're junk no matter how much you paid..

A good $10 cable for example, should be nice and durable, support quick/fast charging. And yet even these have been finicky. I've even found cheapo, put together with paper type of cables that DID quick charge, but stopped working after a week.

So this has always been an area of stress for me, because I'll order cables and be completely disappointed with them.. What cables have you guys been really impressed with for the price, and that lasted a good amount of time, and did a great job with Qualcomm Quick Charge, or Samsung's Fast Charging? I'm talking about Micro USB, USB C, really any brand/line of cables that are consistently high-quality, as well as affordable. Really hoping you guys can help me. Thanks! :) 

If your not in a hurry buy from Ali-Express.Sure the quality might be shit but i can get 20 usb c cables for less than the cost of shipping here

My life

Never had any issues with Sharkoon or Hema cables. 

I try to stay away from the no-name brands because they're really hit-and-miss.  I don't mind having a cheap cable that works perfectly, but I do mind the ones that short out after 2 weeks and destroy your motherboard or set your house on fire. 

2 minutes ago, Himommies said:

If your not in a hurry buy from Ali-Express.Sure the quality might be shit but i can get 20 usb c cables for less than the cost of shipping here

Hmm... Good point. Those Olaf cables any good? They look half-decent, but I need them to actually support fast charging, and not "sort of support it" and still take 2 hours to charge my phones lol

Just now, bmichaels556 said:

Hmm... Good point. Those Olaf cables any good? They look half-decent, but I need them to actually support fast charging, and not "sort of support it" and still take 2 hours to charge my phones lol

You can't tell until you buy it

My life

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vnpEXfo2HCGADdd9G2x9dMDWqENiY2kgBJUu29f_TX8/pubhtml

Just because a cable says 'USB' on it does not mean it is compliant to the spec. Spend the $ for a proven product, especially if you're going to be charging your phone with it.

Intel 11700K - Gigabyte 3080 Ti- Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Pro - Sabrent Rocket NVME - Corsair 16GB DDR4

6 minutes ago, jake9000 said:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vnpEXfo2HCGADdd9G2x9dMDWqENiY2kgBJUu29f_TX8/pubhtml

Just because a cable says 'USB' on it does not mean it is compliant to the spec. Spend the $ for a proven product, especially if you're going to be charging your phone with it.

But I mean, so long as I get it, it fast charges, and performs up to spec on speed as compared to other cables, even if it sacrifices longevity, what's the issue? Great resources, but it totally discounts diminishing returns..

In other words, a $40 cable may only be 20% more durable long-term, but costs 100% more than a $20 cable... 

Intel 11700K - Gigabyte 3080 Ti- Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Pro - Sabrent Rocket NVME - Corsair 16GB DDR4

I only trust anker cables. I've had Apple OEM wires over heat and almost catch fire. Ive been using only anker products for years with no issues. 

I hate the thought of people trusting the cheapest Chinese companies that spit out cables for ridiculously cheap with no tolerances and trust that they don't catch fire. 

I've taken many anker and other brands cables/devices apart and can highly vouch anker is the best. I wouldn't cheap out on cables. I had one last over two years with everyday use until it ended getting shredded by a bunny, so they aren't nom proof from rabbits. 

And regarding the above posted video, I feel like any voltage being put through the cable would be fault by the power delivery device...? Cables don't just magically pull power. 

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

Generally a cable will always present a 5V current and the device can negotiate a higher draw with it. In this case, the cable was misconfigured and would just retain the laptop's settings after being unplugged. Not all devices negotiate, some just expect a 5V current and relies on basic bitch resistors to get the current down to the levels desired. This means that the laptop voltage being presented would damage a phone.

So no, it isn't magic. USB-C cables have chips in them which provide the functionality, which is an opportunity for the manufacutrer to screw up. Anker recalled the cable after that video was released.

You may also enjoy this post by the author, in which a particular cable took down his pixel chromebook and two power delivery analyzers.

https://www.amazon.com/review/R2XDBFUD9CTN2R/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm

41 minutes ago, jake9000 said:

Gotcha... So for some reason, the cable "thinks" its plugging into a laptop again after plugging into one, and will certainly fry your phone. But isn't that more of an issue with the cable itself, rather than non-compliant cables generally? I don't know much about the cables, but I assume compliant cables will have certain "smart" features within the cable, that may or may not be present in a cheap, non-compliant cable, and that's the risk you take essentially?

But couldn't those same protections malfunction in any cable, present or not?

Nvm, hadn't seen your most recent post about it being built into the cable... Gotcha. 

28 minutes ago, jake9000 said:

So basically he reprogrammed a power supply to output 14V instead of 5V and sent it through an USB cable, anyone with some basic knowledge could do that too tbh

Plus how would you be able to overvolt a regular mobile charger to 14V? I mean you could tinker with it replacing the transformer and some diodes and resistors but that'd be the only way, or am I missing something here?

"Quick charging" consists in sending larger amounts of current through the cables and not all of them can cope with it and that's why they fail, just like any cable would fail with larger than supported currents, if you used a thin lamp cable to power a 3000W heater it'd probably overheat and melt.

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

1 minute ago, Captain Chaos said:

You may want to watch the video above your post then. 

I did, hence the last portion of my message. I'll stand with them against that, I think four years of using their products is good enough reason. 

Cables don't make any decisions, I don't know where this thought process comes from. The adapter does the voltages... 

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

1 hour ago, Himommies said:

Buy from India in $1 only.

CbnIqgE.png

they literally do in fact make decisions. It is called an e-marker. The e-marker in that anker cable above making the wrong decision, but one that is was programmed to make was the entire problem.