wadsdd

TheOneAndOnlyBRother
1 minute ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

It's hard to recommend something if we don't know what's in your area, because not every ISP is available in your area.

La/ Long beach

2 minutes ago, ThatOneGingie said:

La/ Long beach

This is still vague. ISP availability can differ by neighborhood. Like I have Spectrum and AT&T in my neighborhood, but literally in a neighborhood that's a 5 minute drive away, their availability is a mix between AT&T, Comcast, and I believe Cox.

And since I'm sure you don't want to give that up, you're just going to have to do some research yourself and come back with who's in your area.

What I would do is Google Broadband providers (your area here), load the web page of every local provider, put in the address, and see what they offer. It's going to differ based on your address, which I don't advise sharing.  ?

Already having a cable provider, that really only leaves a possible fiber option, AT&T or Verizon being the big ones, and possibly a smaller vendor.  You won't likely have a lot of options.

I have a similar question as the OP, but with a twist.

I too live in California, in my case with parents.  I'm hoping, depending on my job situation, to move to my own place in the next several months to a year or 2.  (I started an IT internship last week -

Spoiler

imaging Windows 10 installs onto a bunch of computers for a sizeable company, but it would barely cover rent for a cheap place, with pretty much nothing left over.  So, I'd need a better job before I move.  Ideally I'd buy a basic house, but I need to save up $ and I don't really have anything saved yet.)

Our current ISP at home is Cox - 100Mbps down, 10Mbps up, 1 TB/month cap ($10 each extra 50GB), for I think $75 or $80/month.  Cox Gigablast and AT&T Fiber are both unavailable at my parents' house near Rancho San Diego, CA.

I would like to find an ISP that does gigabit up and down, no monthly caps, and that doesn't restrict running servers & things like that, for the $80/month I believe TechDeals is paying for AT&T Fiber in TX.

I plan to stay near San Diego county, CA, or maybe western Riverside county, for the foreseeable future.  I drew an approximate border on Google Maps showing the general area where I'd be looking.

1272663811_Screenshot(1)-2019-03-04-ideasplacestomovecheckforgigabitfiber.thumb.png.59e193df575eabe0de39c2f9f138c847.png

I'd prefer to move to a less urban, more rural area, although low-density suburban would be okay as well.

22 hours ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

This is still vague. ISP availability can differ by neighborhood. Like I have Spectrum and AT&T in my neighborhood, but literally in a neighborhood that's a 5 minute drive away, their availability is a mix between AT&T, Comcast, and I believe Cox.

And since I'm sure you don't want to give that up, you're just going to have to do some research yourself and come back with who's in your area.

21 hours ago, Chett_Manly said:

What I would do is Google Broadband providers (your area here), load the web page of every local provider, put in the address, and see what they offer. It's going to differ based on your address, which I don't advise sharing.  ?

Already having a cable provider, that really only leaves a possible fiber option, AT&T or Verizon being the big ones, and possibly a smaller vendor.  You won't likely have a lot of options.

My issue is, among other things, that I won't even know the REGION / neighborhood / town I'll be moving to, until I know that I will have gigabit uncapped fiber wherever I happen to move.  (There are other factors as well, but access to good internet is a big one for me.)

So how would one go about finding where fiber is available, if you don't know if that's where you're moving, and the availability of fiber is almost a requirement to even consider the area?

Searching each address over a 50 or so mile radius is totally impractical.

1 minute ago, PianoPlayer88Key said:

My issue is, among other things, that I won't even know the REGION / neighborhood / town I'll be moving to, until I know that I will have gigabit uncapped fiber wherever I happen to move.  (There are other factors as well, but access to good internet is a big one for me.)

So how would one go about finding where fiber is available, if you don't know if that's where you're moving, and the availability of fiber is almost a requirement to even consider the area?

Unfortunately outside of someone doing the work for you, ISPs only say if they're available and what service they offer if you provide them a nearly complete address. They're that precise about availability of service. You should have an idea of who you want to work for and where their office is before you even start looking for a place to live.

And since you're in San Diego, I can tell you that there are some apartment complexes in Mira Mesa right off the 15 next to the Best Buy that have AT&T fiber because the complex was proudly advertising it.

13 minutes ago, PianoPlayer88Key said:

So my Battle Plan for this would be:

1. Look at AT&T coverage maps for Gigabit. Since that is probably your best bet cost/performance wise.

2. Look at apartment complexes/houses in those areas.

3. Nail down an address for a place you like, or very close to it. Try it in the ATT Service locator.

4. Call AT&T and get a voice confirmation if the locator says yes. Don't blindly trust the online widget. As I learned trying to get 2 gig fiber from Comcast.

5. Make sure whatever local cable company has gigabit there as well. So you have a back up plan in case of shoddy service.