Wich fans for P300

RobinHtk

Hi! Since i've had an upgrade from a GTX 1060 to a RTX 2060, I've noticed that my case cooling might be need to be improved, in order to reduce the max temperatures of my new xc gaming from EVGA. It reaches 77°C in full load after like 10mins, and this is with a pretty aggressive fan curve.

My config is

CPU Ryzen 5 2600X

Motherboard MSI B450M Mortar Titanium

RAM : 16Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200Mhz

GPU : EVGA RTX2060 XC gaming

Case : Phanteks Eclipse P300

PSU : Cooler Master MasterWatt 650

Monitor : Asus VS229

Cooling Arctic Freezer 33 / 4 PureWings 2 for the case (2 intake, 2 outtake)

Sound : Wood system from Genius and a good headset

Since my case is the Eclipse P300 from Phanteks, the front panel is pretty restrictive as for airflow, since it only have openings on top and bottom of the front, both are filtered (but the filter do not stop too much of the airflow)

I recently did put a 4th 120mm fan in exhaust position because i thought the exhaust of hot air was taking too long after a stress on the gpu. Balancing the airflow is not that easy.

By the way, someone advised me to put 2 SP140 from Corsair in the front as intakes, would it improve the cooling? Knowing that, actually it is 2 of my 120 Pure Wings 2 pwm from be quiet (i love that brand and took 4 of em, but i'm feeling like the airflow is a bit weak).

EDIT: I can add pictures if you do not know this case or to give you a better vision of my situation :)

Edited by RobinHtk

Sorry in advance for my pictures quality !

Here is my cooling setup

20190302_150727.thumb.jpg.576833ae1604f3cd759f2f0c0b841a91.jpg

And in this spoiler is the reason why i think i should buy static pressure fans. I searched a little about this and apparently ML140 are good in static pressure, but they might kill my silent-ish setup xD

Spoiler

20190302_150655.thumb.jpg.35ed4df07e177403759605a75ab89ce8.jpg

Get some Noctua NF-P12 Reduxes. Very reliable, quiet, and pretty good static pressure.

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

Thanks, every internet topics or tech reviews seems to indicate that Noctua are the king of efficient cooling. But since i have only 2 120mm or 2 140mm spot on the front, shouldn't i take 140mm ones to maximize my intake?

Those Noctua NF-P14s Redux-1500 PWM seems to be the same that the ones you advised me to pick, just bigger.

1 hour ago, RobinHtk said:

Thanks, every internet topics or tech reviews seems to indicate that Noctua are the king of efficient cooling. But since i have only 2 120mm or 2 140mm spot on the front, shouldn't i take 140mm ones to maximize my intake?

Those Noctua NF-P14s Redux-1500 PWM seems to be the same that the ones you advised me to pick, just bigger.

Yeah,the bigger the fan,at less speed will it have to run to move same amount of air as its 120mm equivalent.

Cheaper to sell old case and buy a better than buying Noctua fans. Just get Arctic p12/p14 for 6/7€ x2.

42 minutes ago, thinwalrus said:

Cheaper to sell old case and buy a better than buying Noctua fans. Just get Arctic p12/p14 for 6/7€ x2.

Well, at 30€ /34 USD, i can get 2 ML140 from corsair or 2 NF6P14s Redux 1500 rpm from Noctua.

A case that is good for airflow and that i would choose is the Meshify C (My condo is geared in white, and i want the case to fit that theme) and it is 100€/113 USD here in France. So i could buy something like 4 industrial ppc noctuas at that price, i get your point :). My Be quiet Pure Wings 2 make a good job providing airflow anyway, it is just sad to know that i could win easily some degrees by providing more pressure from the intakes, since they are blocked by that stupid front panel xD

Well, just received my Noctuas NF-P14s redux 1500 and did put them in the front of my case.

I do not have time yet to test different situations and all, but at 700-ish rpm mu GPU dropped from 34/33°C to 30/31°C at idle. The two 120 PureWings 2 were always at 1085rpm minimum.

I suspect that the cool air was directly sucked by my CPU cooler and my gpu couldn't really enjoy it, with more strenght in the airflow, it seems to be able to feed the gpu in fresh air.

Tomorrow, i'll test different games and stress test to see if it actually helped.

On 3/3/2019 at 5:03 AM, RobinHtk said:

shouldn't i take 140mm ones to maximize my intake?

The P300 blocks off much of a 140mm fan so I'm not entirely sure if it would actually be better than 120mm's with good static pressure.

I had pretty good results with 120mm Xtraflos in the P300.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Still, it worked for me :) However, is this what you are talking about ? 

Spoiler

20190308_094157.thumb.jpg.dd4a010cdf45b6d8f18c2550474e22b9.jpg

Well, i may be loosing some of it, but the pressure really helps my system, the gpu was really in need of cool air managing to get to it's fan.

It maybe wasn't necessary to take the 140mm ones i'll admit. 

At 700 rpm they are way cooler than the 120 mm that i had previously, the total system didn't change much but the gpu is actually at 28°C on idle instead of 33°.

EDIT: By the way, i still have to see how high in rpm i can set them for the idle without too much noise being generated. The gain is real for me, and even if the way it is built is cutting like 10% of the 140mm fans, i already see results. Those Xtraflos fans seems to be fine tho, the airflow must be really strong.