gtx 1080, i5 8600k underperforming

Ktmrider17

i've known about this problem for a couple of months now, i've tried everything i can think of to fix this, and after playing the Division 2 beta, i'm fed up. on the all low preset at 1080p i average around 30-40 frames. my gpu sits at 99% usage at 54c roughly, cpu roughly around 40% usage at around 50c. I don't know whether it hardware or software that is holding my pc back, if you help, I would greatly appreciate it.

This is my rig:

Gigabyte gtx 1080

I5 8600k 3.6Ghz

cryorig h7 cooler

ROG z370-h mobo

16gb corsair vengeance 2400Mhz(2x8Gb)

1tb wd blue hdd

corsair RM650x psu

Can you give us full system spec?

Main system: Ryzen 7 7800X3D / Asus ROG Strix B650E / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 32GB 6000Mhz / Powercolor RX 7900 XTX Red Devil/ EVGA 750W GQ / NZXT H5 Flow

11 minutes ago, PopsicleHustler said:

Can you give us full system spec?

i edited the post

5 minutes ago, Ktmrider17 said:

i edited the post

Was it underperforming from the start, or it just begin to happen out of nowhere?

Main system: Ryzen 7 7800X3D / Asus ROG Strix B650E / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 32GB 6000Mhz / Powercolor RX 7900 XTX Red Devil/ EVGA 750W GQ / NZXT H5 Flow

Just now, PopsicleHustler said:

Was it underperforming from the start, or it just begin to happen out of nowhere?

from the very beginning

Just now, Ktmrider17 said:

from the very beginning

Is RAM installed correctly and with enabled XMP?

Just now, PopsicleHustler said:

Is RAM installed correctly and with enabled XMP?

ram is installed correctly but i set my bios to default awhile ago

2 minutes ago, Ktmrider17 said:

ram is installed correctly but i set my bios to default awhile ago

Is the system registering all 16 gigs of it? And try enabling XMP, who knows what could happen.

EDIT Have you tried overclocking the CPU? You should be able to get 4.7-4.8GHZ easily.

2 minutes ago, PopsicleHustler said:

Is the system registering all 16 gigs of it? And try enabling XMP, who knows what could happen.

EDIT Have you tried overclocking the CPU? You should be able to get 4.7-4.8GHZ easily.

yeah, the pc registers the ram. And i have used xmp and overclocked to around that frequency, and it didnt seem that it did much ill try again.

3 minutes ago, Ktmrider17 said:

yeah, the pc registers the ram. And i have used xmp and overclocked to around that frequency, and it didnt seem that it did much ill try again.

Try doing a few Cinebench runs. You should be getting around 1000 points for the CPU test.

13 minutes ago, PopsicleHustler said:

Try doing a few Cinebench runs. You should be getting around 1000 points for the CPU test.

my cpu score was 1089 overclocked to 4.7 Ghz

being that it is a beta, my guess is it could be a poor optimization issue cause the low frames. 

Does it perform well on other games that would rule out a gpu issue? 

Just now, cheek_b52 said:

being that it is a beta, my guess is it could be a poor optimization issue cause the low frames. 

Does it perform well on other games that would rule out a gpu issue? 

No, it runs like trash on every other game as well.

13 minutes ago, Ktmrider17 said:

my cpu score was 1089 overclocked to 4.7 Ghz

I'm lost here. CPU works as intended in Cinebench, nothing is throttling, RAM is working properly, yet when it comes to gaming, CPU only loads up to 40%? Are you sure its a GTX1080 you have in your system and not some 1050? Because that is only reasonable explanation I would have for this situation.

4 minutes ago, PopsicleHustler said:

I'm lost here. CPU works as intended in Cinebench, nothing is throttling, RAM is working properly, yet when it comes to gaming, CPU only loads up to 40%? Are you sure its a GTX1080 you have in your system and not some 1050? Because that is only reasonable explanation I would have for this situation.

it is 100% a gtx 1080, one thing though, i loaded into gpu-z and it didnt recognize that the card was ddr5, it just said unknown. I dont know if that helps any though...

4 minutes ago, Ktmrider17 said:

it is 100% a gtx 1080, one thing though, i loaded into gpu-z and it didnt recognize that the card was ddr5, it just said unknown. I dont know if that helps any though...

Its should be GDDR5X

3 minutes ago, PopsicleHustler said:

Its should be GDDR5X

yeah. it says "Memory Type:UNKNOWN" i dont know why

4 minutes ago, Ktmrider17 said:

yeah. it says "Memory Type:UNKNOWN" i dont know why

Where did you get the card? New or Used?

1 minute ago, PopsicleHustler said:

Where did you get the card? New or Used?

i got it used from Gigabyte on amazon, for around 540 usd

DDU your graphics drivers and reinstall and go from there. 

I have/had a simliar setup 8600k at 5.2ghz and founders 1080 and runs most things quite well at 1440p

47 minutes ago, cheek_b52 said:

DDU your graphics drivers and reinstall and go from there. 

I have/had a simliar setup 8600k at 5.2ghz and founders 1080 and runs most things quite well at 1440p

i just did it twice to be sure, and nothing happened. its making me think that its hardware, not software.

6 hours ago, Ktmrider17 said:

i just did it twice to be sure, and nothing happened. its making me think that its hardware, not software.

try the superposition benchmark/passmarkbenchmark and see how you preform versus other people with your video card.you might need to contact your card manufacture and take use of the warranty.

sorry for my English have a grate weekend

my current home setup:cpu:amd ryzen 2700 // cpu cooler :aigo 120mm aio // mobo:gigabyte ab350-gaming 3 // ram:crosair vengance 8*4 // gpu:amd rx 5700 //

tower:antec p8 // psu:antec HCG 650w.

my current work setup: cpu:intel xeon x5675 // cpu cooler :generic 6 copper pipe // mobo: x58 lga 1366 chines motherboard // ram: 32GB ecc // gpu:amd r7 260x //                    

psu:antec 550w.

my current home server setup:cpu:intel xeon x5690 // cpu cooler :aigo 120mm aio // mobo: x58 lga 1366 chines motherboard // ram:crucial 8*2 // gpu:amd rx 580 //

tower:antec p110 silent // psu:antec HCG 850w.

11 hours ago, aBattleBorn said:

try the superposition benchmark/passmarkbenchmark and see how you preform versus other people with your video card.you might need to contact your card manufacture and take use of the warranty.

sorry for my English have a grate weekend

well i ran that superstition benchmark on 1080p medium settings, and i got around 2300, i looked at the leaderboard for my specs, and with the same parts he scored 12000 higher than me.

Superposition_Benchmark_v1.0_2289_1551570582.png

8 hours ago, Ktmrider17 said:

well i ran that superstition benchmark on 1080p medium settings, and i got around 2300, i looked at the leaderboard for my specs, and with the same parts he scored 12000 higher than me.

Superposition_Benchmark_v1.0_2289_1551570582.png

dude my rx580 which is medium level gpu equvilent to the gtx1060 get around 8300 on stock speed.

you should go ahead and use the warranty.

if you really want to find out why it is happning run the benchmark with msi afterburner open in the background and check if your gpu undervolting/underclocking it self.

sorry for my English.

my current home setup:cpu:amd ryzen 2700 // cpu cooler :aigo 120mm aio // mobo:gigabyte ab350-gaming 3 // ram:crosair vengance 8*4 // gpu:amd rx 5700 //

tower:antec p8 // psu:antec HCG 650w.

my current work setup: cpu:intel xeon x5675 // cpu cooler :generic 6 copper pipe // mobo: x58 lga 1366 chines motherboard // ram: 32GB ecc // gpu:amd r7 260x //                    

psu:antec 550w.

my current home server setup:cpu:intel xeon x5690 // cpu cooler :aigo 120mm aio // mobo: x58 lga 1366 chines motherboard // ram:crucial 8*2 // gpu:amd rx 580 //

tower:antec p110 silent // psu:antec HCG 850w.