Is my XTX 650W Pro Serieus good enough for a RX580?

FoxMulder2014

System:

i5 2500K
8GB RAM
old GPU,was GTX970 4GB (worked fine for 5 years)

Now I want to get a MSI RX580 8GB

Will it work? with 650W?

What if the "pins" don't match up? GTX970 had 6 pin connector, RX580 8pin

what specific model of the XFX PRO series do you have?

i need full name

edit: its XFX right?

12 minutes ago, FoxMulder2014 said:

XFX PRO650W Core Edition

it should work. its not a great PSU, but it will work. 

it should have 6+2 pin connector for the rx 580

19 minutes ago, FoxMulder2014 said:

old GPU,was GTX970 4GB (worked fine for 5 years)

oh, btw. 970-580 is more of a sidegrade and not an upgrade. with the exeption of going from 3,5GB of Vram to 4/8GB. they are simililar performance wise. the rx580 will hold up much better in newer titles

7 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

it should work. its not a great PSU, but it will work. 

it should have 6+2 pin connector for the rx 580

oh, btw. 970-580 is more of a sidegrade and not an upgrade. with the exeption of going from 3,5GB of Vram to 4/8GB. they are simililar performance wise. the rx580 will hold up much better in older titles

yeah, it does but I wasn't sure that would work

My 970 is bricked, so I need a new one. Checked some benchmarks and it scores a bit better. It's cheaper than a GTX1060 + here in the shops you get 2 games for free including Division 2 which I was already going to get. So it's a good deal for me. (Other game is either DMC 5 or RE2)

I assume my i5 2500K is going to bottleneck anyway. But I can still run games like Division 2 a medium @ 1080p

2 minutes ago, FoxMulder2014 said:

My 970 is bricked, so I need a new one. Checked some benchmarks and it scores a bit better. It's cheaper than a GTX1060 + here in the shops you get 2 games for free including Division 2 which I was already going to get. So it's a good deal for me. (Other game is either DMC 5 or RE2)

yeah, im just warning so you dont expect and increase in performance when they are very similar, but yes the rx580 is atm a much better buy than the gtx 1060. 

remember to uninstall geforce experience and DDU and then reinstall the new drivers. 

4 minutes ago, FoxMulder2014 said:

I assume my i5 2500K is going to bottleneck anyway. But I can still run games like Division 2 a medium @ 1080p

you i5 is still holding fine. its not great by any means in new titles. but its good enough for a while. 

you should look to upgrade that in the near future. either it being next year or the year after that or even this year with Zen 2.

1 minute ago, GoldenLag said:

yeah, im just warning so you dont expect and increase in performance when they are very similar, but yes the rx580 is atm a much better buy than the gtx 1060. 

remember to uninstall geforce experience and DDU and then reinstall the new drivers. 

you i5 is still holding fine. its not great by any means in new titles. but its good enough for a while. 

you should look to upgrade that in the near future. either it being next year or the year after that or even this year with Zen 2.

Yeah I know, but I had a car crash so priorities :)

I already installed the AMD Drivers. A friend loaned my his old ATI card until I get a new one. Not sure which one it is, but I runs Battlefield 4 fine, so it's not that bad. (I returned to BF4 after getting bored with BFV)

2 minutes ago, FoxMulder2014 said:

but I runs Battlefield 4 fine, so it's not that bad. (I returned to BF4 after getting bored with BFV)

i did the same except with BF1.

im gonna assume the card he lent you is an hd 7850 or hd 7950 based on what i know of budget GPUs and their performance

HD 6870, well it's good enough to get by for the coming week :)