Can an hdmi cable go on and off.

golfamndurpa

Hello guys i have problems connecting my pc to hdtv via hdmi (vga works fine)

Its been weeks now and its driving me mad.  

So basically i wonder can a hdmi cable work perfectly fine 2-3 hours straight than just stop for unknown time. Sometime later maybe after days even, it works again for 3-4 hours. Sometimes it starts disconnecting and reconecting (screen goes black and than it appears again) like 20 times in a minute.

I aways thought hdmi is a digital signal it either works or it does not. But in this case the cable is 10meters long and a noname brand so maybe ita possible?

I have looked at everything else as the cause of the problem (videocard, defective hdmi ports, tried with multiple adapters, tried a different psu, many different drivers and a clean winsows install.)

Have you tried a shorter cable? HDMI is fussy, and has a distance limitation of around 10 meters using a passive cable. I would suggest first trying a different cable, if the issue persists, then reduce the length and the issue will likely resolve itself. If you still need to go 10 meters, you might do well to look for what is called an active cable, which amplifies the signal and helps mitigate issues such as this one.

I have not tried another cable since im not sure the cable is the problem, but i will try.

What would an active cable mean? Do i need a device to boost the signal with it?