Are RTX 2070 cards still failing?

sonic77

So my GTX 780 just died last night and I was looking around for a new card, but I've been reading about RTX 2070 to 2080 TI cards failing after less than a month. I haven't been able to find any consistent reports that it was mainly early production cards that are failing or if it's something that's mostly fixed by now because I've seen reports for both. I found one 2070 that is on sale with a rebate, but I'm worried that if I take that chance, it will start getting artifacts and crash. I'm not really sure what to do now... I have a 1440p G-Sync Monitor so I have to buy an NVidia card and I don't have another card that I can use as a replacement. I don't upgrade my components very often so I want something that will last. Does anyone know if the 2060 is facing similar issues? Should I be worried about the 2070 failing? Thanks in advance for any assistance.

1 minute ago, sonic77 said:

So my GTX 780 just died last night

what was your method for determining that the gpu died and not the system

I've had a gigabyte windforce rtx2070 for a few months without problems. Even if it fails, which probably wont happen, it will have warranty (as long as there is no user abuse)

If you're formally an engineer, avoid responsibility. That's what senior engineers get paid for.

1 hour ago, emosun said:

what was your method for determining that the gpu died and not the system

The screen started showing artifacts, crashed and failed to boot. I removed the card from the system and rebooted. It had some trouble initially but worked after using startup repair and system restore from a restore point on the 20th. I used DDU from safe mode to uninstall all drivers in case it was driver related. The PC ran completely fine using integrated graphics, no errors at all. I then reinstalled the graphics card and when I booted the system it displayed large green rectangles on the bios screen (as it did before) but booted successfully. At the windows sign-in and past, the screen was full of discolored pixels that shifted around based on what was displayed. I tried reinstalling GeForce experience and reinstalled the latest driver, but nothing changed. So I ran DDU again and removed the card. The PC is currently running without issue right now using integrated graphics on my i7.

7 minutes ago, sonic77 said:

The screen started showing artifacts, crashed and failed to boot. I removed the card from the system and rebooted. It had some trouble initially but worked after using startup repair and system restore from a restore point on the 20th. I used DDU from safe mode to uninstall all drivers in case it was driver related. The PC ran completely fine using integrated graphics, no errors at all. I then reinstalled the graphics card and when I booted the system it displayed large green rectangles on the bios screen (as it did before) but booted successfully. At the windows sign-in and past, the screen was full of discolored pixels that shifted around based on what was displayed. I tried reinstalling GeForce experience and reinstalled the latest driver, but nothing changed. So I ran DDU again and removed the card. The PC is currently running without issue right now using integrated graphics on my i7.

Dead GPU definitely.

The RTX GPUs do not fail anymore

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

My MSI RTX 2070 Armor has been rock solid since I bought it almost a month ago. Great overclocker, too. The issues only happened with Micron memory and those cards should be out of the system by now. Mine at least came with Samsung memory. Maybe you could get a bad one if you'd buy the crappiest, blower style RTX 2070 which sat on the shelf for months cause nobody else wanted it, or you have really bad luck and in that case you could go through warranty to get a good one. Just don't buy used.

CPU: AMD R5 5600x | Mainboard: MSI MAG B550m Mortar Wifi | RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix 3200 Rev E | GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Armor | Case: Xigmatek Aquila | PSU: Corsair RM650i | SSDs: Crucial BX300 120GB | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB | Crucial m500 120GB | HDDs: 2x Seagate Barracuda 4TB | CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2 | Casefans: Bitfenix Spectre LED red 200mm (Intake), Bequiet Pure Wings 2 140mm (Exhaust) | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit

My Gigabyte 2070 works perfectly never had an issue, if you do have problems you can always refund or RMA. Theres no point worrying about a card dying or artifacting its possible with every graphics card.

(◣_◢) Ryzen 5 3600,   Aorus X370 K7,   XPG 16GB 3200,   Gigabyte 2070 Windforce Corsair RM650x,   LG 32GK650F-B 31.5" 144Hz QHD FreeSync VA,   Kingston 120GB SSD,   Samsung 1TB 860 QVO,   2TB HDD,   Fractal Design Meshify C,   Corsair K63 Wireless,   Corsair Gaming M65 PRO,   Audio Technica ATH M50x,   Windows 10 ProCorsair H100x 240mm.  (◣_◢)

(◣_◢) Ryzen 5 1600,   Noctua NH-L12S,   Gigabyte GTX 1060 6G,   ASUS Prime B350 Plus,   HyperX Fury 8GB DDR4 (2666MHz - 1.3v),   SilverStone ET550-B,   Kingston 120GB SSD 2TB HDD,   Cougar MX330,   Windows 10 Pro.  (◣_◢)

Okay, thanks guys! I'll keep everything in mind.

• 8 months later...
On 2/27/2019 at 8:28 AM, sonic77 said:

So my GTX 780 just died last night and I was looking around for a new card, but I've been reading about RTX 2070 to 2080 TI cards failing after less than a month. I haven't been able to find any consistent reports that it was mainly early production cards that are failing or if it's something that's mostly fixed by now because I've seen reports for both. I found one 2070 that is on sale with a rebate, but I'm worried that if I take that chance, it will start getting artifacts and crash. I'm not really sure what to do now... I have a 1440p G-Sync Monitor so I have to buy an NVidia card and I don't have another card that I can use as a replacement. I don't upgrade my components very often so I want something that will last. Does anyone know if the 2060 is facing similar issues? Should I be worried about the 2070 failing? Thanks in advance for any assistance.

I recently purchased an rtx 2070 super and within less than 2 days of it being installed in my pc, artefacts began appearing and certain games won’t even launch