UnRaid and Threadripper 2990wx

So I am setting this AMD TR 2990wx 32 cores and 64 threads with 128GB RAM, using MSI x399 MEG Creation Mobo, I am using unpaid, it runs fine for two windows 10 VM machines for gaming, but when I add a 3rd vm for gaming performance drops significantly to a point where the 3rd VM is not actually playable. Each machine has a dedicated SSD drive. My question is  : am I asking too much from this setup ? or can it run 3 or 4 dedicated VMs, yeah I also have dedicated video cards for each VM and all high end. I would appreciate any expert advice here, do I need different processors ?

Thanks

How many cores are you assigning to each VM? Which cores are you assigning to them?

In theory you should be able to run 3 virtual machines well enough, there may be something you haven't accounted for like core topology or pcie lanes. Does the performance go down on all VMs when you add the third one, or just on that one?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

The problem with the TR2970WX and 2990WX is that two of the four dies don't have direct access to the memory channels. VM wise, you can run many, just not gaming VMs.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

I am assigning 8 cores for each VM, 32GB ram and all of them get a drop but one specific VM gets to an unplayable performance, its on the 3rd PCIe bus which is 16x

15 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

The problem with the TR2970WX and 2990WX is that two of the four dies don't have direct access to the memory channels. VM wise, you can run many, just not gaming VMs.

so can I run 3 VMs on two dies then ? if so can you help me know which one it ? I can assign 4 cores each, thanks

2 hours ago, fakh said:

so can I run 3 VMs on two dies then ? if so can you help me know which one it ? I can assign 4 cores each, thanks

I'm not sure if you can pick certain cores as I don't use Unraid, but there's probably some info online which cores are on which dies.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro