Gaming CPU Build

HulkyThicc

So, I keep ending up in an "argument" with a friend about Intel or AMD for gaming, but it's getting me nowhere. He keeps saying that Intel is dog shoit, and AMD is the place to be for gaming or just overall performance, yet he's given me no solid evidence of this claim, other than Linus says it's better, and that he's tested it himself (my friend) before. So, with that in mind, I went onto YouTube as you do, and looked up AMD vs Intel (mainly in gaming), and I see an absolute clear winner; Intel. I keep seeing it beat AMD with a difference of FPS of 5+, 10+, or even 20+. Now, for overall performance like opening programs, editing, etc. I haven't looked this up yet as I'm hoping I can get a clear answer here. I'm going to be getting my PC in 2 days, and it's going to be a $1,700, and would really, REALLLY not want to make a mistake, and have to wait another year to fix it. If you see this, and have any sort of knowledge on my question, please let me know. Thanks!

it depends

amd is focussed on more cores at a lower clockspeed, intel on less with a higher clock speed

amds integrated graphics are better, but intel has some advantage in optimization.

they all have their strong and weak points

btw, if you need help with that build, just let me know

It mainly depends on how you're going to use your computer.

What are you mainly going to do with your computer (gaming, streaming, editing ...) ?

What is your price range for the CPU only ?

Your friend needs a reality check. Intel has always had superior single core performance with Ryzen usually beating them out in overall core count, price to performance and multi core speeds. Ryzen is great for overall productivity to chip into that prosumer space on a budget that is usually guarded by high priced CPU's. The Ryzen 2700x is only 300$ USD for example, with 8 cores and 16 threads on a 12nm process. Though, in gaming Ryzen will be outperformed in CERTAIN instances because of it's much lower single core perf. In benchmarks of CPU bound titles like AC Odyssey, an i5 8600k will be pinned at 90-100% usage with higher FPS than the Ryzen 7 2700x when it's only at 59% usage. The reason this happens is because games simply don't require that many cores or threads so you're left with significantly higher multi core speeds and a ton of headroom at a lower cost than an i7, yet it falters in single core perf where it counts in games.

The Louvre

Lian-Li PC-O11 DW   |   ZOTAC RTX 2080   |   Core i5 9600k   |   SeaSonic FOCUS Plus 650W Platinum   |   MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon  |  2x16Gb TRIDENT Z ROYAL  |   2xSX8200 240Gb NVME SSD's  |   1x Seagate Firecuda 1TB   |   EVGA Closed Loop Cooler 280mm   |   1x MSI MPG27C Monitor

2 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

it depends

amd is focussed on more cores at a lower clockspeed, intel on less with a higher clock speed

amds integrated graphics are better, but intel has some advantage in optimization.

they all have their strong and weak points

btw, if you need help with that build, just let me know

problem is, basically none of the ryzen chips have igpus except for the 2200g and a Ryzen 5? I could be wrong here.

The Louvre

Lian-Li PC-O11 DW   |   ZOTAC RTX 2080   |   Core i5 9600k   |   SeaSonic FOCUS Plus 650W Platinum   |   MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon  |  2x16Gb TRIDENT Z ROYAL  |   2xSX8200 240Gb NVME SSD's  |   1x Seagate Firecuda 1TB   |   EVGA Closed Loop Cooler 280mm   |   1x MSI MPG27C Monitor

1 minute ago, CharminUltraStrong said:

problem is, basically none of the ryzen chips have igpus except for the 2200g and a Ryzen 5? I could be wrong here.

and some althlons

they've been ahead in that part even in the am3 time

I'm mainly 60-80% of the time game on it. I'll say normally around 60% as I use my computer for other stuff like watching YouTube, watching movies, etc. Here's my part list if you guys want to change it for best gaming performance, without making my computer an absolute potato when trying to open a simple application or something lol. Don't bully me as I'm not the best with PC parts: 

Just now, LukeSavenije said:

and some althlons

they've been ahead in that case even in the am3 time

that's why intel finally caved after saying "wE WoULd neVeR sOuRCe oUr igPuS fRoM coMpeTitTiOn

The Louvre

3 minutes ago, CharminUltraStrong said:

that's why intel finally caved after saying "wE WoULd neVeR sOuRCe oUr igPuS fRoM coMpeTitTiOn

pretty much

but let's not start a flamewar here

5 minutes ago, HulkyThicc said:

I'm mainly 60-80% of the time game on it. I'll say normally around 60% as I use my computer for other stuff like watching YouTube, watching movies, etc. Here's my part list if you guys want to change it for best gaming performance, without making my computer an absolute potato when trying to open a simple application or something lol. Don't bully me as I'm not the best with PC parts: 

I can change a lot there

random question, where is your gpu?

I'm getting it on Amazon. Much cheaper there as I have a budget. With my PC (including GPU) + my monitor, it's going to be $2,500. I didn't want to be pushing the $3,000 mark as this is tax money :)

3 minutes ago, HulkyThicc said:

build

imma bully

• bad SSD
  • 2 HDDs of different capacity
  • bad mobo
  • Bad (ish) PSU
  • meh case for the pricpoint
  • NO GPU

and that is about what i have to say. 

19 minutes ago, HulkyThicc said:

REALLLY not want to make a mistake, and have to wait another year to fix it. If you see this, and have any sort of knowledge on my question, please let me know. Thanks!

if you really want to be on the safe side. grab a r5 2600 and a good mobo and upgrade to a Zen 2 CPU when that comes out in Q2. because i think people will get buyers remorse once those hit the market if they spent all their capital buying a top of the line intel CPU

Just now, HulkyThicc said:

I'm getting it on Amazon. Much cheaper there as I have a budget. With my PC (including GPU) + my monitor, it's going to be $2,500. I didn't want to be pushing the $3,000 mark as this is tax money :)

you know PCP takes amazon into considiration right?

Just now, GoldenLag said:

imma bully

• bad SSD
  • bad mobo
  • Bad (ish) PSU
  • NO GPU

if you really want to be on the safe side. grab a r5 2600 and a good mobo and upgrade to a Zen 2 CPU when that comes out in Q2. because i think people will get buyers remorse once those hit the market if they spent all their capital buying a top of the line intel CPU

I mean, if you can keep the nearly exact same amount of money for the PC on that list, and not make me drop 20 FPS in a game, go ahead. I have no problem with that.

1 minute ago, GoldenLag said:

imma bully

• bad SSD
  • bad mobo
  • Bad (ish) PSU
  • NO GPU

I think we can tackle this with more info

I mean, if you can keep the nearly exact same amount of money for the PC on that list, and not make me drop 20 FPS in a game, go ahead. I have no problem with that.

why don't you have a gpu added in it?

@HulkyThicc That's a very decent build for a gaming system. Honestly, I'm a camp AMD kinda person but even I know that Intel is the best around for gaming. Sadly, not the best on your budget most of the time, but that's kinda what happens since Intel's only competition in the CPU market has been AMD and only recently has Intel began to sweat at what they're putting out with Ryzen. I want to see better from both sides. Anyway, tell your friend that they're an idgit and build your computer and smoke them in all the games. :P

I just want my PC to basically run every single game I run at it in high/very high/ultra, it very playable framerate (60-75+).

i mean. you will have lower 1080p and 1440p FPS untill you upgrade to Zen 2. but after Zen 2 you will have either the exact same or better at a lower price. depending on the skew you go for.

1 minute ago, GoldenLag said:

imma bully

• bad SSD
  • bad mobo
  • Bad (ish) PSU
  • NO GPU

A midrange i5 9600k can OC to 5.2 Ghz stable on all 6 cores and doesn't break a sweat, no buyers remorse here. Sure you can upgrade to Zen 2 but if the update to Zen is anything like the refresh or Radeon 7 GPU it will not be worth it. Plus, the z390 platform has a pretty nice upgrade path esp. as years go on and i9's get cheaper. Though with DDR5 coming out this year, looking to future proof before those boards arrive is a bit of a silly notion.

The Louvre

I just want my PC to basically run every single game I run at it in high/very high/ultra, it very playable framerate (60-75+).

what Resolution are you aiming for?

Just now, GoldenLag said:

i mean. you will have lower 1080p and 1440p FPS untill you upgrade to Zen 2. but after Zen 2 you will have either the exact same or better at a lower price. depending on the skew you go for.

What's a Zen 2? Not to savy with these here parts ?

1080P minimum, but it would be nice to have 1440p as that's going to be my new resolution.

What's a Zen 2? Not to savy with these here parts ?

AMD Ryzen's second generation Zen cores

Just now, CharminUltraStrong said:

A midrange i5 9600k can OC to 5.2 Ghz stable on all 6 cores and doesn't break a sweat, no buyers remorse here.

you know that is 6 cores 6 threads and you need to roll the silicon lottery to know if it is going to OC to 5.2.

1 minute ago, CharminUltraStrong said:

Sure you can upgrade to Zen 2 but if the update to Zen is anything like the refresh or Radeon 7 GPU it will not be worth it.

well early silicon allready ties the 9900k with what is expected to be the midrange Ryzen 5 with 12 cores more or less confirmed and 16 cores is what mobo vendors are anticipating. so i think its worth it

2 minutes ago, CharminUltraStrong said:

Plus, the z390 platform has a pretty nice upgrade path esp. as years go on and i9's get cheaper.

really? Z390 doesnt really offer anything but the 9900k as an upgrade path. AM4 you have Zen 2 and Zen 2+/3.

3 minutes ago, CharminUltraStrong said:

Though with DDR5 coming out this year, looking to future proof before those boards arrive is a bit of a silly notion.

i mean DDR5 comes out doesnt mean it will be adopted. intel might use it for their next gen, but it seems to be another coffelake refresh before then. AM4 seems to stick with DDR4 untill 2021.