Gtx 980 and 500w PSU

-Hayden-

I was planning to start a budget build but I wanted to start out simple. So i chose a core i3-8100 and a GTX 980 as my config.  I was wondering if my 80+ PSU ( 500w Bronze) could handle a GTX 980 and a Core i3-8100 (Non-overclocked GPU). 

As long as it's a good quality unit, go for it.

In terms of wattage it's fine, what's your PSU model?

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

The 980 uses about 150-160 watts at load. So for your build (if you just have ram, cpu, gpu, ssd, mb) is going to be about 350-400watts at load. Plenty of overhead with a 500watt 50+ PSU. That being said, you may hear the PSU fans being within 100watts of the PSU's limit.  

5 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Yeah this is important. There are plenty of garbage PSU's out there that claim 80 Plus certification. 

Here is some info from Wikipedia:

There have been instances where companies claim or imply that their supplies are 80 Plus when they have not been certified, and in some cases do not meet the requirements.[6] When a company resells an OEM power supply under a new name it must be certified under the new name and company, even if the OEM supply is certified.[6] In some instances, a reseller has claimed a higher wattage than the supply can deliver – in which case, the reseller's supply would not meet 80 Plus requirements.[6] The 80 Plus website has a list of all certified supplies, so it is possible to confirm that a supply really meets the requirements.[4]

Just now, jmack said:

Yeah this is important. There are plenty of garbage PSU's out there that claim 80 Plus certification. 

The Thermaltake TR2 is a perfect example of this. It's a complete firecracker yet it has 80+ Bronze certification.

The list below provides a pretty good amount of info about the quality of certain PSUs, I highly recommend everyone to take a look at it:

My advice to OP is NEVER judge a PSU by its 80+ certification.

38 minutes ago, -Hayden- said:

I was wondering if my 80+ PSU ( 500w Bronze) could handle a GTX 980 and a Core i3-8100 (Non-overclocked GPU). 

80+ is not a brand.

What is the make/model of your PSU?

500W is enough wattage for that system. As long as your PSU is of decent quality it will be fine.

Have you already purchased the i3 8100? Do you already have the motherboard for it? If not there might be other options that are better value. What's your budget for the build?

32 minutes ago, jmack said:

The 980 uses about 150-160 watts at load. So for your build (if you just have ram, cpu, gpu, ssd, mb) is going to be about 350-400watts at load.

You're right about the GTX980 consumption, but an i3 8100 (and SSD, RAM, etc) isn't going to add an additional 200-250 watts on top of that.
Probably closer to 250W total for a system like that.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

4 hours ago, -Hayden- said:

I was planning to start a budget build but I wanted to start out simple. So i chose a core i3-8100 and a GTX 980 as my config.

Condolences.

Already bought it or just in the planning phase??

4 hours ago, -Hayden- said:

I was wondering if my 80+ PSU ( 500w Bronze) could handle a GTX 980 and a Core i3-8100 (Non-overclocked GPU). 

Probably not as most "500W" PSU are shit.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

4 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

Condolences.

Already bought it or just in the planning phase??

Probably not as most "500W" PSU are shit.

Planning phase

8 hours ago, Spotty said:

500W is enough wattage for that system. As long as your PSU is of decent quality it will be fine.

Have you already purchased the i3 8100? Do you already have the motherboard for it? If not there might be other options that are better value. What's your budget for the build?

You're right about the GTX980 consumption, but an i3 8100 (and SSD, RAM, etc) isn't going to add an additional 200-250 watts on top of that.
Probably closer to 250W total for a system like that.

Bought Motherboard but need to purchase the core i3-8100. And my budget is around $800

8 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

80+ is not a brand.

What is the make/model of your PSU?

EVGA 500w B1

9 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

EVGA 500w B1

35 minutes ago, -Hayden- said:

Planning phase

Then you can dodge the bullet and tell us where you are from (Country), what you want to spend and we might be able to figure out the best thing for you for the price.

24 minutes ago, -Hayden- said:

EVGA 500w B1

Its really not a good unit.

What is available in your region?
Bitrfenix Formula for example??

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

4 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

Then you can dodge the bullet and tell us where you are from (Country), what you want to spend and we might be able to figure out the best thing for you for the price.

Its really not a good unit.

What is available in your region?
Bitrfenix Formula for example??

Anything on Amazon that is under $55

1 minute ago, -Hayden- said:

Anything on Amazon that is under $55

I bought the PSU a while back.