New programmer, language question

Hi P
1 minute ago, straight_stewie said:

Business process software ready for end user deployment at a serious business is almost never free.

As one example pulled from my list above, Intuits Quickbooks Point of Sale, one of the cheapest and easiest to get POS solutions, costs between $1200 and $1900 USD for a single license, and does not include the machine to run it on.

Would you develop seriously robust software that businesses rely on, take on all of the liability if something goes wrong and a business loses money, and then give it away for free, specifically as a tool for other people to use solely to make money? You've got to atleast try to make your arguments make sense...

I can also point out a mobile app that costs thousands for simply displaying a diamond on its screen. Let's keep on googling up outliers and exception to the rule now shouldn't we? 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

4 minutes ago, Dat Guy said:

I said "good".

You said good and paid. And I  said better and free ?

Sudo make me a sandwich 

34 minutes ago, wasab said:

I can also point out a mobile app that costs thousands for simply displaying a diamond on its screen. Let's keep on googling up outliers and exception to the rule now shouldn't we?  

Quickbooks is not the outlier. It's the most common and easily available POS solution for small brick and mortar businesses that aren't attached to a franchise. Even some franchised locations still use Quickbooks POS.

you're the one picking outliers buddy...

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

15 minutes ago, straight_stewie said:

Quickbooks is not the outlier. Like I said, it's the most common and easily available POS solution for small brick and mortar businesses that aren't attached to a franchise. Even some franchised locations still use Quickbooks POS.

you're the one picking outliers buddy...

You know what most brick and mortar use for their POS? How? Where you get that statistics from? At what place do most people use QuickBooks? USA? Canada? China? North Korea? Congo where most people have never even seen a computer? 

Most vendors provide both the hardwares, and softwares as well as support that go along with them. Customers pay all of these in a single package. They far outnumber QuickBooks model of simply charging for their softwares. You are very wrong so just give up. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

43 minutes ago, wasab said:

You are very wrong so just give up.

you are also completely ignoring the point i made earlier that a lot of "free" software still has paid developers behind it, which is the whole point of this thread. This thread is about the stuff you might work on as a developer, not "software marketing and business stratagies". Whether the average person pays for a desktop application has surprisingly very little to do with whether developers will be paid to write desktop applications. An increasing number of "free" products have alternate forms of revenue (e.g. ads) or rely on a consumer/enterprise split to ensure a constant revenue flow (e.g. slack). Just because you didn't pay for an application, doesn't mean someones not making some money somewhere with that software and paying developers to make it.

Gaming build:

CPU: i7-7700k (5.0ghz, 1.312v)

GPU(s): Asus Strix 1080ti OC (~2063mhz)

Memory: 32GB (4x8) DDR4 G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3000mhz

Motherboard: Asus Prime z270-AR

PSU: Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W

Cooler: Custom water loop (420mm rad + 360mm rad)

Case: Be quiet! Dark base pro 900 (silver)
Primary storage: Samsung 960 evo m.2 SSD (500gb)

Secondary storage: Samsung 850 evo SSD (250gb)

Server build:

OS: Ubuntu server 16.04 LTS (though will probably upgrade to 17.04 for better ryzen support)

CPU: Ryzen R7 1700x

Memory: Ballistix Sport LT 16GB

Motherboard: Asrock B350 m4 pro

PSU: Corsair CX550M

Cooler: Cooler master hyper 212 evo

Storage: 2TB WD Red x1, 128gb OCZ SSD for OS

Case: HAF 932 adv

17 minutes ago, reniat said:

Maybe free products have alternate forms of revenue (e.g. ads) or rely on a consumer/enterprise split to ensure a constant revenue flow (e.g. slack).

No they don't. Most of these softwares are there to support or expand an existing business/Enterprise.

E.g. banks like Chase create their mobile apps to support their banking and money wiring services, not to make money off of it. 

These desktop applications themselves make little to no money at all, it is the business they are supporting that actually pay the developers and the development. It is in line with my claim that desktop app make no money and many are dying due to many companies moving the roles of these traditional desktop app into the cloud. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

9 minutes ago, wasab said:

it is the business they are supporting that actually pay the developers and the development

...so do we agree that people are still paying developers to write desktop applications?

I'm honestly not quite sure what you are arguing.

Are you saying not to learn C++/Java because desktop apps are moving to the cloud? If so:

1. There are still SO many applications that don't always need to be connected to the internet to function, and putting them in the cloud for no reason would probably not be wise.
  2. You could still apply 99% of what you know for writing desktop apps in Java/C++ to write backends for cloud services....

Are you saying everyone should learn javascript?

If so, I would point out that again, backends are a thing, and not everyone needs to write front end code. That's the same exact thinking of "Everyone should learn C". Is it bad? no, but it's also not mandatory. Even in the desktop application world, there are plenty of people who don't work on the front end side of things.

Gaming build:

CPU: i7-7700k (5.0ghz, 1.312v)

GPU(s): Asus Strix 1080ti OC (~2063mhz)

Memory: 32GB (4x8) DDR4 G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3000mhz

Motherboard: Asus Prime z270-AR

PSU: Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W

Cooler: Custom water loop (420mm rad + 360mm rad)

Case: Be quiet! Dark base pro 900 (silver)
Primary storage: Samsung 960 evo m.2 SSD (500gb)

Secondary storage: Samsung 850 evo SSD (250gb)

Server build:

OS: Ubuntu server 16.04 LTS (though will probably upgrade to 17.04 for better ryzen support)

CPU: Ryzen R7 1700x

Memory: Ballistix Sport LT 16GB

Motherboard: Asrock B350 m4 pro

PSU: Corsair CX550M

Cooler: Cooler master hyper 212 evo

Storage: 2TB WD Red x1, 128gb OCZ SSD for OS

Case: HAF 932 adv