A cheep way to record my old PC

arcade_portal32

Hey guys, I have another question lol. I want to record footage on one of my old PC's to do a "How To" video on YouTube.

I'm am just trying to figure out a way to record stuff without putting major strain the PC with already micro sized amounts of power compared to today's standards.

An Elgato is really expensive to just to record a few videos, as I am a PC Player so normally I use the nVidia recorder; but that won't help me in this case.

What is a cheep way to record decent video on a low powered device like this, or low hardware use software that's comptable.

Here is the specs of the PC I want to record

a running "turn of the century" eggshell white Dell Dimensions L1000R

Pentium III Coppermine 1Ghz

EVGA GeForce 6200 with 256MB of DDR2 VRAM

256MB RAM for PC

Dual 40GB Boot Hard Drives

1TB USB 3.0 External Drive

Corsair Strafe RGB Gaming Keyboard

Corsair M65 Mouse

Yes all that is working off and fully running on only one of the two USB 1.0 Ports with help of a USB Bus.

The PC is running with nVidia Drivers at 1920x1080p at 60FPS with both WinXP and Windows 7

I have a few rough ideas, but do you guys have any as well? :P Just curious of what you guys come up with lol!

Edit: HD Recording does not have to be an option but would be nice lol

Film it with your phone

There's plenty of Elgato-esque knockoffs on Amazon which are way cheaper. Might be a reasonable alternative.

Or why not use something like OBS to record and then just export it to another PC to edit?

DAEDALUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 - 1600 @ 3.7Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Turbo Black Edition // Motherboard: Asus RoG Strix B350-F Gaming // Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1060 Windforce 6GB GDDR5 // Memory: 2 x 8GB DDR4 Corsair LPX Vengeance 3000Mhz // Storage: WD Green - 250GB M.2 SATA SSD (Boot Drive and Programs), SanDisk Ultra II 120GB (GTA V), WD Elements 1TB External Drive (Steam Library) // Power Supply: Cooler Master Silent Pro 700W // Case: BeQuiet Silentbase 600 with SilentWings Mk.2 Internal Fans // Peripherals: VicTop Mechanical Gaming Keyboard & VicTsing 7200 DPI Wired Gaming Mouse

PROMETHEUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: Intel Core i5-3470 @ 3.2Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master 212 EVO // Motherboard: Foxconn 2ABF // Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5450 (For Diagnostic Testing Only) // Memory: 2 x 4GB DDR3 Mushkin Memory // Storage: 10TB of Various Storage Drives // Power Supply: Corsair 600W // Case: Bitfenix Nova Midi Tower - Black

SpeedTest Results - Having Trouble Finding a Decent PSU? - Check the PSU Tier List!

If you don't have to record it at HD resolution, there are many USB capture devices that are much cheaper than an elgato. Otherwise a good camera with proper setup(tripod, lighting etc.) can be used to record a screen and actually get good results.

11 minutes ago, Ezzy-525 said:

There's plenty of Elgato-esque knockoffs on Amazon which are way cheaper. Might be a reasonable alternative.

Or why not use something like OBS to record and then just export it to another PC to edit?

OBS doesn't work on Windows XP however it "may" run when I have it in Windows 7, but alot of what I want to record is using Windows XP. Alot of modern software obviously have a few issues running on a PC that is basically considered Retro/Vintage hardware now lol, but I am making my "How To" videos on what you can still do with this kind of hardware.

Edit: I forgot to say the EVGA 6200 has DVI out, VGA  out, & S-Video out. It's currently running using a DVI to HDMI converter for the screen

18 hours ago, arcade_portal32 said:

OBS doesn't work on Windows XP however it "may" run when I have it in Windows 7, but alot of what I want to record is using Windows XP. Alot of modern software obviously have a few issues running on a PC that is basically considered Retro/Vintage hardware now lol, but I am making my "How To" videos on what you can still do with this kind of hardware.

Edit: I forgot to say the EVGA 6200 has DVI out, VGA  out, & S-Video out. It's currently running using a DVI to HDMI converter for the screen

I wasn't aware that OBS was only for Vista onwards.

Does it have to be that specific PC to do your how-to videos? I might be overengineering the solution here but what about an XP VM on a new machine and then record the VM window?

DAEDALUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 - 1600 @ 3.7Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Turbo Black Edition // Motherboard: Asus RoG Strix B350-F Gaming // Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1060 Windforce 6GB GDDR5 // Memory: 2 x 8GB DDR4 Corsair LPX Vengeance 3000Mhz // Storage: WD Green - 250GB M.2 SATA SSD (Boot Drive and Programs), SanDisk Ultra II 120GB (GTA V), WD Elements 1TB External Drive (Steam Library) // Power Supply: Cooler Master Silent Pro 700W // Case: BeQuiet Silentbase 600 with SilentWings Mk.2 Internal Fans // Peripherals: VicTop Mechanical Gaming Keyboard & VicTsing 7200 DPI Wired Gaming Mouse

PROMETHEUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: Intel Core i5-3470 @ 3.2Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master 212 EVO // Motherboard: Foxconn 2ABF // Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5450 (For Diagnostic Testing Only) // Memory: 2 x 4GB DDR3 Mushkin Memory // Storage: 10TB of Various Storage Drives // Power Supply: Corsair 600W // Case: Bitfenix Nova Midi Tower - Black

SpeedTest Results - Having Trouble Finding a Decent PSU? - Check the PSU Tier List!

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

Best would be to use capture card and another PC to encode. But I would say using phone or another camera is more valid option than you might think. Thats how many tech-tubers still record BIOS and other screens they can't record directly.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv