2 in 1 laptops in 2019

Go to solution Solved by inund8,

I can't really go higher than 1400 CAD (1100ish USD?)

I'm not a fan of removable keyboards, especially since they tend to be smaller. Also, the reason I want the USB C charging is so that I can use a portable USB battery, but can they actually do that?

As far as usage goes, its generally productivity use, but I do need it to run solidworks (doesn't have to run it well.) But that's secondary to the battery life, since I 90% of screen time on my laptop is displaying PDF's and watching youtube, facebook etc

Hey all!

I'm looking for advice on laptops.  I'm replacing my old af lenovo yoga 13 from 2012, since multiple things are failing.

I kinda just want to know what you guys think are the best options for 2 in 1s are so far?

I keep looking at the dell xps 13's but they are more than I paid for my old one, but I don't see that there is much more value in terms of performance, but I definitely want that USB C charging and their stylus storage.

EDIT: my wife has an older MS surface tablet, but I never really competed with my lenovo, keyboard is too small and janky, and its a bit anemic in terms of performance. How does the surface book compare?

I'm not a fan of removable keyboards, especially since they tend to be smaller. Also, the reason I want the USB C charging is so that I can use a portable USB battery, but can they actually do that?

As far as usage goes, its generally productivity use, but I do need it to run solidworks (doesn't have to run it well.) But that's secondary to the battery life, since I 90% of screen time on my laptop is displaying PDF's and watching youtube, facebook etc

4 minutes ago, inund8 said:

https://www.amazon.ca/Huawei-MateBook-Signature-Edn-Laptop/dp/B07MK3SP9R/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?keywords=huawei+matebook+13&qid=1551045796&s=gateway&sr=8-3

Here is a rather good laptop. 

Note it doesnt have a 360 degree hinge and stop at around 120 degrees. 

Do you want a 360 degree hinge to use as a tablet or just the touch Display?

1 minute ago, GoldenLag said:

https://www.amazon.ca/Huawei-MateBook-Signature-Edn-Laptop/dp/B07MK3SP9R/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?keywords=huawei+matebook+13&qid=1551045796&s=gateway&sr=8-3

Here is a rather good laptop. 

Note it doesnt have a 360 degree hinge and stop at around 120 degrees. 

Do you want a 360 degree hinge to use as a tablet or just the touch Display?

If it has some redeeming quality, like its cheaper or has better battery. Is this any better than a dell xps 2 in 1 (lmao just looked up the prices on that, its 1600+ CAD, did they jack up their prices for the new stuff?)

1 minute ago, inund8 said:

If it has some redeeming quality, like its cheaper or has better battery. Is this any better than a dell xps 2 in 1 (lmao just looked up the prices on that, its 1600+ CAD, did they jack up their prices for the new stuff?)

That laptop is essentially the step down version of one of the top 3 laptops. 

Idk hownit treats a stylus however and no 360 degree hinge is something.

Batterylife im unshure of, but from what i know its sits roughly where all thin and lights are at. 

You might have to consider the Surface Pro 6 for better stylus support or look at the HP x360 with the 2500u (x360 is quite cheap and the surface needs to buy a keyboard seperatly)

I had a look. The Huawei Matebook 13 does not support and active stylus like the surface pen. It does do passive pens like any other touchscreen.

it seems like the main selling point on the huawei is the 2k display, which isn't important to me. 1080p is fine :)

7 minutes ago, inund8 said:

it seems like the main selling point on the huawei is the 2k display, which isn't important to me. 1080p is fine :)

Not really. Its a 3:2 aspect ratio screen for productivity and good colors.

That and overall buildquality with and excellent trackpad.

9 minutes ago, inund8 said:

Refurbs will be cheaper yes. Id suggest the 13 inch version over the 15 inch, but that is in the end up to you. 

12 hours ago, inund8 said:

Any preference on weight, battery life and display size? Is USB C charging a must to you? Mind low sRGB display and non-upgradable RAM?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128