Helios 300 ph315-51: SSD NVME upgrade.

Arvy

As the title says, I want to upgrade my helios 300 with a NVME SSD of 500gb capacity. My choices go to Samsung 970 evo or the WD Black NVME (2018 or the newer sn750 2019 version).

Since I'm totally new to SSDs and this king of technology, I'd like to know if these 2 ssds are gonna heat up too much in my laptop (I don't have any heating issues right now, max temps 70C CPU, 65 GPU in demanding games), and if so, which one would heat up less.

I know these ssds tend to heat up quickly but every test I saw online was a heavy stress test, which isn't a normal use (I'll use the ssd mainly for light premiere work, mathlab and gaming).

Cheers.

3 minutes ago, Arvy said:

As the title says, I want to upgrade my helios 300 with a NVME SSD of 500gb capacity. My choices go to Samsung 970 evo or the WD Black NVME (2018 or the newer sn750 2019 version).

Since I'm totally new to SSDs and this king of technology, I'd like to know if these 2 ssds are gonna heat up too much in my laptop (I don't have any heating issues right now, max temps 70C CPU, 65 GPU in demanding games), and if so, which one would heat up less.

I know these ssds tend to heat up quickly but every test I saw online was a heavy stress test, which isn't a normal use (I'll use the ssd mainly for light premiere work, mathlab and gaming).

Cheers.

no

Why must NVMe SSD, most ppl will be fine with a good SATA SSD

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

7 minutes ago, GeneXiS_X said:

Maybe he has a SATA HDD, and store games on it, and his laptop has a spare NVMe port

51 minutes ago, 0x4B4353 said:

Maybe he has a SATA HDD, and store games on it, and his laptop has a spare NVMe port

M.2 SATA

59 minutes ago, GeneXiS_X said:

most ppl will be fine with a good SATA SSD

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

9 hours ago, GeneXiS_X said:

M.2 SATA 

It is mainly the reason. I have a SATA m. 2 + 1tb hdd 5400rpm right now. 

I just want the nvme for simulation work in matlab and light premiere rendering (I know it probably wouldn't change much, but I want a nvme just for my geek desire Ahah). 

I was thinking about changing my hdd also (5400 rpm is kinda slow, plus it has head parking enabled all the time, it makes my pc stutter.. I can disabled it with crystal disk but it goes to default on after evert logout or shutdown). Would you recommend a better and faster 1tb hdd also? Is 5400 hybrid better than 7200? (something like firecuda). 

Sorry for all the questions, but I really want the best for my moneys :D) 

On 2/24/2019 at 11:03 AM, GeneXiS_X said:

After this comment of yours, and a little bit of research online, I decided against nvme ssd...it's really pointless for my kind of use, even the most demanding thing I will do, will not be impacted by the faster nvme standard. Thank you kind sir, you just made me make a better choice, buying a 1Tb Crucial Mx500 for the same money as a 500gb nvme (and replacing my HDD which will become an external backup drive).
Thank you :D

On 2/25/2019 at 4:56 AM, Arvy said:

Is 5400 hybrid better than 7200?

Slightly better, but SSD is miles better

Desktop specs:

Spoiler