Router help, school

Pittman90

So I am in college and the internet we have here is kinda limited, my main issue is with my Amazon echo and other similar things, my thought was can i just buy a really cheap router and plug it into my ethernet port. Would I be able to set up my own wifi with that? I was probably going to get something like the TP-Link N300, because internet speed is not a issue for echo and things of that sort. 

So my question is can I create any wifi just from any ethernet hookup?

I'm guessing you're at the University of Miami (Even if not, most Unis have similar policies). Their acceptable use policy states:

Users must not implement their own network infrastructure. This includes, but is not limited to basic network devices such as hubs, switches, routers, network firewalls, and wireless access points.

Regarding your original statement, I'm pretty sure it's possible to use a router as a repeater.

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Designing a mITX case. Working on aluminum prototypes.

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

well i guess i shouldnt tell you where i am (im not at UM) but yes I was planning on technically breaking the rules... I just want to know if it would work 

6 minutes ago, Pittman90 said:

well i guess i shouldnt tell you where i am (im not at UM) but yes I was planning on technically breaking the rules... I just want to know if it would work 

Technically, you could setup your own Access Point that forwards DHCP to your school's router. If there is no password (on the schools network), then make the SSID the same as the School's and set the passkey to open. Although most schools use some sort of user database system, in which case, I would just make your own SSID and password. 

This way, your echo and other devices will prioritize your AP since its closer. 

Specs:

Gaming PC: i5 3570, 16GB 1600MHz, GTX 780 3GB, Transcend 128GB, WD 500GB, Seagate 500GB, Thermaltake 600W Smart, S340 w/ RGB, Windows 10 Pro

Server: Xeon E5 2650, 12GB 1600MHz ECC, 8400GS, WD 2TB + 1TB + 1TB, EVGA 500B 500W, Windows 10 Pro

Laptop: Macbook Pro Retina 2013, i7 4558U, 8GB 1600MHz, Intel Iris Pro 1.5GB, Apple 256GB NVME, Mojave

Internet: $70/month For 500/100, Actually get 525/102

12 minutes ago, newcbomb said:

Technically, you could setup your own Access Point that forwards DHCP to your school's router. If there is no password (on the schools network), then make the SSID the same as the School's and set the passkey to open. Although most schools use some sort of user database system, in which case, I would just make your own SSID and password. 

This way, your echo and other devices will prioritize your AP since its closer. 

well the school wifi has a username and password that is different for everyone but the ethernet does not (dont even know if you could) but thats why I thought about using that 

1 minute ago, Pittman90 said:

well the school wifi has a username and password that is different for everyone but the ethernet does not (dont even know if you could) but thats why I thought about using that 

Ok, in that case, make an access point with a unique name and password. Maybe even try a hidden SSID but I don't know how well it will work for your use case. 

Specs:

Gaming PC: i5 3570, 16GB 1600MHz, GTX 780 3GB, Transcend 128GB, WD 500GB, Seagate 500GB, Thermaltake 600W Smart, S340 w/ RGB, Windows 10 Pro

Server: Xeon E5 2650, 12GB 1600MHz ECC, 8400GS, WD 2TB + 1TB + 1TB, EVGA 500B 500W, Windows 10 Pro

Laptop: Macbook Pro Retina 2013, i7 4558U, 8GB 1600MHz, Intel Iris Pro 1.5GB, Apple 256GB NVME, Mojave

1 minute ago, newcbomb said:

Ok, in that case, make an access point with a unique name and password. Maybe even try a hidden SSID but I don't know how well it will work for your use case. 

how would you make a hidden SSID?

Just now, Pittman90 said:

how would you make a hidden SSID?

Some routers/access points have an option to "Broadcast SSID" just untick it. 

Specs:

15 minutes ago, newcbomb said:

Some routers/access points have an option to "Broadcast SSID" just untick it. 

ohh i see thanks 

Even having this discussion is a violation of LTTF policy. In reality, you are not trying to do anything different than anybody else has already tried and the sysadmin there isn't stupid and has probably already put stuff into place to catch/stop what you are trying to do. Chances are, when you connect your equipment into their network, their system will see that what is being connected is actually a router and shut you out. Put tetherable data on your cell phone and focus on your studies. You are paying far too much for far too little and spending your free time trying to skirt the rules is truly a waste of your time.

5 minutes ago, GuruOfNothing said:

Even having this discussion is a violation of LTTF policy. In reality, you are not trying to do anything different than anybody else has already tried and the sysadmin there isn't stupid and has probably already put stuff into place to catch/stop what you are trying to do. Chances are, when you connect your equipment into their network, their system will see that what is being connected is actually a router and shut you out. Put tetherable data on your cell phone and focus on your studies. You are paying far too much for far too little and spending your free time trying to skirt the rules is truly a waste of your time.

i mean ive already had people yell at me for having a damn toaster so im not really worried about getting in trouble, everything is a slap on the wrist 

edit: I dont think its that big of a deal since my only use for it is to get the stuff i have to work... im not trying to get around any firewalls or blocking of stuff

Jesus... so you view the risks of rule breaking by what the level of punishment is going to be? So what is the point of rules? Just something that only applies to the people that care? No wonder we have such a crime problem in our country. "I do what I want because I think the rules are stupid and shouldn't apply to me!" Stop working the f'ing system and grow up.

1 minute ago, GuruOfNothing said:

Jesus... so you view the risks of rule breaking by what the level of punishment is going to be? So what is the point of rules? Just something that only applies to the people that care? No wonder we have such a crime problem in our country. "I do what I want because I think the rules are stupid and shouldn't apply to me!" Stop working the f'ing system and grow up.

i think there is a difference between committing a real crime and having a router.... loosen up mate 

So rules are not a thing, mean nothing and just are a waste. But a "crime" is something completely different? Wow. I don't know what schools are teaching these days but you are not learning it, whatever that is.

1 minute ago, GuruOfNothing said:

So rules are not a thing, mean nothing and just are a waste. But a "crime" is something completely different? Wow. I don't know what schools are teaching these days but you are not learning it, whatever that is.

you must be fun at parties.... there is a difference in severity of different rules my guy 

We can't condone the instruction or setup of bypassing legitimate security and network restrictions on the forums.

-Locked-