Reasons for a Warranty Replacement of a Laptop

piemadd

Hello all, I am currently working on a project for engineering, and we have to research how companies operate. With this project, we have to make a product, and an accompanying manual and warranty. Generally, what would have to go wrong with a laptop for just a part replacement, and what would need to happen in the case of a full laptop replacement. Thanks for your help!

Also, if you were wondering, my 'product' is just a small laptop powered by a rasberry pi.

i like trains 🙂

Batteries are the most common component to be replaced besides displays in my opinion. If the display dies though it's usually due to user neglegence and thus not covered by warranty but batteries are different. Things that would call for a full laptop replacement would be motherboard failure, especially if the CPU is soldered directly to the motherboard.

In general I believe most laptop manufacturers don't do parts replacements currently, or at least they don't expose the customer to parts replacements. Often manufacturers will do a full replacement, usually while swapping over the drive(s), and then repair the laptop on their own time to be resold as refurbished units or go on to become new replacement units.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

I work at a large store which is Platinum partner with HP. For consumer (pavilion,...) and business (probook/elitebook/...) we can fully test the laptop and order the same part that broke down. Most of the time, it is a hard drive or motherboard. Any part is possible however. One thing to note, is that when someone wants to claim warranty on a faulty laptop, it has to be in "normal use condition", which basically means, no damage by either opening themselves (warranty stickers), broken screen, scratches or dents which can lead to the defect. When we send smartphones back to a repair center, we can get a price of we don't notice a crack in the screen or rear glass for example. They will point any defect to that crack in glass/screen or bit of falling damage and not repair it under warranty.

TL;DR warranty is very complex and the manufacturer will most likely notice damage and not fix it under warranty, if you have to send the laptop/etc back. MSI is a very tough one on that which can even say a laptop is dead with water damage for having one tiny dried up drop of sweat on a key on the keyboard (this has happened to us)

Edit: reasons for warranty:

Not booting, no screen, no backlight, HP diagnostics or Dell diagnostics test fails on a component, not charging, dead battery, ... Anything is possible as long as it's an internal hardware component, broken keyboard keys aren't covered under warranty for example.