Can't change mic quality

monjessenstein

Hey everyone, lately in discord my friends noted that my mic sounds like utter trash. Since it's a Blue Snowball I know that it's not amazing, but shouldn't be as terrible as they were describing. After going into my sound settings, going to my mic device properties, clicking additional device properties, and then in advanced I found a setting to adjust the default format, which was apparantly on "telephone quality". However this is where my problems arise. After changing the sound quality setting to anything else I get a message saying: "The device is being used by another application. If you continue, that application may stop working. Do you want to continue?" Even after clicking yes the window closes, and going back into the settings it shows that nothing was changed. I've already shut down discord and other programmes that could use my mic, but I'm still getting the message. Any and all help is appreciated.

11 minutes ago, monjessenstein said:

Hey everyone, lately in discord my friends noted that my mic sounds like utter trash. Since it's a Blue Snowball I know that it's not amazing, but shouldn't be as terrible as they were describing. After going into my sound settings, going to my mic device properties, clicking additional device properties, and then in advanced I found a setting to adjust the default format, which was apparantly on "telephone quality". However this is where my problems arise. After changing the sound quality setting to anything else I get a message saying: "The device is being used by another application. If you continue, that application may stop working. Do you want to continue?" Even after clicking yes the window closes, and going back into the settings it shows that nothing was changed. I've already shut down discord and other programmes that could use my mic, but I'm still getting the message. Any and all help is appreciated.

Im going to assume your using Windows 10 ?  If so just go to sound properties and take off the 2 checks for allow application to take full control, and the other one, untick them apply and now see if you can change the settings properly.  Let us know a bit more about your system specs so we can help you better.  Thanks

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

Just now, Turtle Rig said:

Im going to assume your using Windows 10 ?  If so just go to sound properties and take off the 2 checks for allow application to take full control, and the other one, untick them apply and now see if you can change the settings properly.  Let us know a bit more about your system specs so we can help you better.  Thanks

Hey thanks for the response. I've already read that somehwere, yet sadly those settings also don't save when I change them (aka uncheck them). I am using windows 10. I have a ryzen 1600 cpu, b350 asus board and the mic (blue snowball) is plugged directly into it via usb, and using the onboard audio (no soundcard). If there's anything more you need to know just ask.

3 minutes ago, monjessenstein said:

Hey thanks for the response. I've already read that somehwere, yet sadly those settings also don't save when I change them (aka uncheck them). I am using windows 10. I have a ryzen 1600 cpu, b350 asus board and the mic (blue snowball) is plugged directly into it via usb, and using the onboard audio (no soundcard). If there's anything more you need to know just ask.

Thank you.  It is a driver issue at this point.  Does that mic just plug into usb and work or do you install drivers for it ?  If you install drivers then install the latest ones and if you have already then downgrade to older olders and that could fix your problem.  It is a Winblows 10 thing tangling with drivers.

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

Just now, Turtle Rig said:

Thank you.  It is a driver issue at this point.  Does that mic just plug into usb and work or do you install drivers for it ?  If you install drivers then install the latest ones and if you have already then downgrade to older olders and that could fix your problem.  It is a Winblows 10 thing tangling with drivers.

Nah it's got no drivers, full on plug and play type.

4 minutes ago, monjessenstein said:

Nah it's got no drivers, full on plug and play type.

I see ;  Try a different USB port like 2.0 or 3.0 try both see if doing that allows you to change the quality settings of the mic... This is def a WInblows issue and not the mic I can tell you that much.

2 hours ago, Turtle Rig said:

I see ;  Try a different USB port like 2.0 or 3.0 try both see if doing that allows you to change the quality settings of the mic... This is def a WInblows issue and not the mic I can tell you that much.

Hey sorry for the late response. I figured how to fix it, I had to go to the sound control panel first, then select my mic, and then I aws able to edit it. Thanks for your help!