RAM Overclock, Need verification

Go to solution Solved by Domrockt,

Ram overclock brings the minimum FPS up, thats allways nice.

@OP yes Your Kit will be stable at 3000mhz with a bit luck you wont need to change the timings. Just bring the ram voltige to 1.35v 

Set all Timings to Auto und let it Settle a few reboots. When it Boots to Windows go Back to uefi and Try your stock Timings. That should do. 

Yes it would be nice if you Post some CPU Z Screenshots the RAM Tabs are very interesting.

I built my PC in late December just past, I have a Ryzen 2600 at 3.8 stable. I was wondering if my ram; (Ripjaws 4 2x8gb CL15 @2400Mhz) being overclocked to 3000Mhz with CL16 is a stable setup or not.

I understand there are silicon lotteries with these things, after testing I found no hiccups (yet). I also understand that Ryzen is a ram-speed-hungry cpu so I do have a belief that this is needed. 

What I would like to ask you is to flag anything you might see here because this is my very first time overclocking RAM ever.

I also am wondering what issues I should really be looking out for here because a lot of websites and guides can try and scare you with the "Cons of Overclocking" and all that bs. I'm gonna assume that because of the massive heatsinks on these things and ram generally not heating upto their rated tdp, I could actually have this headroom.

I can post a cpuZ/hwmonitor screenshot or something from home after work so if that can help you guys analyze it better that'd be great. Thank you for taking time.

Use something like memtest86 to test your memory and see if it crashes or spits our errors. If not, you can settle for your current OC or try to push it further (either tightening timings or frequency increase). Be careful about voltage though, I wouldn't push your ram too far as it can actually get quite hot. Look up whats safe on your set of ram and motherboard to be sure.

9 minutes ago, Phas3L0ck said:

Why do so many people overclock their RAM? Just whyyyyyy?

Why not? You clearly don't know much about ram overclocking, especially on Ryzen. You can attain a substantial benefit by overclocking, whether it be in games or professional work. Battlefield 5 is a personal example for me with my Ryzen 1700. Bringing my memory from stock to 3000mhz gave me quite the FPS boost. On Intel RAM speeds don't much matter, not the case with AMD.

QUOTE ME IF YOU WANT A REPLY!

PC #1

Ryzen 7 3700x@4.4ghz (All core) | MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon | Crucial Ballistix 2x16gb (OC 3600mhz)

MSI GTX 1080 8gb | SoundBlaster ZXR | Corsair HX850

Samsung 960 256gb | Samsung 860 1gb | Samsung 850 500gb

HGST 4tb, HGST 2tb | Seagate 2tb | Seagate 2tb

Custom CPU/GPU water loop

PC #2

Ryzen 7 1700@3.8ghz (All core) | Aorus AX370 Gaming K5 | Vengeance LED 3200mhz 2x8gb

Sapphire R9 290x 4gb | Asus Xonar DS | Corsair RM650

Samsung 850 128gb | Intel 240gb | Seagate 2tb

Corsair H80iGT AIO

Laptop

Core i7 6700HQ | Samsung 2400mhz 2x8gb DDR4

GTX 1060M 3gb | FiiO E10k DAC

Samsung 950 256gb | Sandisk Ultra 2tb SSD

4 minutes ago, BigDamn said:

Why not? You clearly don't know much about ram overclocking, especially on Ryzen. You can attain a substantial benefit by overclocking, whether it be in games or professional work. Battlefield 5 is a personal example for me with my Ryzen 1700. Bringing my memory from stock to 3000mhz gave me quite the FPS boost. On Intel RAM speeds don't much matter, not the case with AMD.

Dang, people must love AMD for OC and such... I don't really get why, but I never cared to since Intel gave me everything I need. The closest I ever got to an AMD system was an old HP 6005 with a dual core 3GHz CPU.

But for real, it's RAM for god's sake, isn't it fast enough?

36 minutes ago, BigDamn said:

Use something like memtest86 to test your memory and see if it crashes or spits our errors. If not, you can settle for your current OC or try to push it further (either tightening timings or frequency increase). Be careful about voltage though, I wouldn't push your ram too far as it can actually get quite hot. Look up whats safe on your set of ram and motherboard to be sure.

Hey this sounds good. I'll use memtest at home and see how it goes. I havent actually done anything to the CAS timings or Voltage because I'm too inexperienced.

One of the biggest concerns I had was data accuracy, whether overclocking can affect that or not. Sounds like its not out of the possibilities yeah? So I wouldn't push it too hard.

I also noticed that I was setting up a computer for my office and I got them an 8700k and a 3000Mhz kit. I then found out the cpu only supports upto 2666Mhz. So I'm swapping and now I'll have a stock 3000Mhz kit which I'll push to 3600-ish and see. Definitely an improvement. 

Could anyone recommend me any good article/video/website where they explain ram OC in depth? I've only gotten confused by the numerous videos I've looked up where they talk abotu unnecessary things like which die its using and something about BCLK or something and other stuff like that. Or they would be irrelevant to me as an AMD user.

43 minutes ago, Phas3L0ck said:

Dang, people must love AMD for OC and such... I don't really get why, but I never cared to since Intel gave me everything I need. The closest I ever got to an AMD system was an old HP 6005 with a dual core 3GHz CPU.

Here's the thing, AMD saves you a lot of money compared to Intel, and it lets you work at it to get more performance (if you choose). Its not a bad thing to want more performance for your money right?

People can either do this or opt for Intel and sit tight and be satisfied from the get go. That's generally the case with them and its fine if that's you. They're both very valid options especially since AMD's Ryzen.

There are tangible and substancial performance increases when you overclock your ram on a ryzen cpu. More importantly there are people out there who enjoy doing these things like OC'ing ram to get performance because its not entirely about the performance but its also about the personal experience of having done such things, they can bring a great sense of achievement and satisfaction when you succeed. I hope you got a bit more perspective out of this. You should also look up some charts on performance differences of ram speed on a Ryzen chip to see it for yoruself.

3 minutes ago, Casual Cube said:

Here's the thing, AMD saves you a lot of money compared to Intel, and it lets you work at it to get more performance (if you choose). Its not a bad thing to want more performance for your money right?

People can either do this or opt for Intel and sit tight and be satisfied from the get go. That's generally the case with them and its fine if that's you. They're both very valid options especially since AMD's Ryzen.

There are tangible and substancial performance increases when you overclock your ram on a ryzen cpu. More importantly there are people out there who enjoy doing these things like OC'ing ram to get performance because its not entirely about the performance but its also about the personal experience of having done such things, they can bring a great sense of achievement and satisfaction when you succeed. I hope you got a bit more perspective out of this. You should also look up some charts on performance differences of ram speed on a Ryzen chip to see it for yoruself.

I guess it all comes down to culture then... all I ever cared about is the bottom line.

And with my recent shift in focus to servers, I'm acclimating to Xeon CPUs and require stability more than anything.

But I get what you mean-- people go crazy pushing their "efficiency" BS just for fun trying to get out more than they put in. Been there. Done that. Didn't work.

@OP yes Your Kit will be stable at 3000mhz with a bit luck you wont need to change the timings. Just bring the ram voltige to 1.35v 

Set all Timings to Auto und let it Settle a few reboots. When it Boots to Windows go Back to uefi and Try your stock Timings. That should do. 

Yes it would be nice if you Post some CPU Z Screenshots the RAM Tabs are very interesting.

Edited by Domrockt

CPU

Intel  i9 13900k

Motherboard

Asrock Z790 Taichi

RAM

Kingston Fury Beast DDR5 RGB 32GB 6000MHZ

GPU

MSI GeForce RTX 4090 GAMING TRIO 24G 

Storage

Samsung SSD 980 PRO 1TB 
Unraid NAS 10Gbit about 50TB HDD's, i713700k 64GB DDR5 crucial @ 5800Mhz 

Win11 Workstation

3 minutes ago, Domrockt said:

Do you know anything about Ram being happier at even timings rather than odd? I was told even though my kit is advertised at 15, it defaults to 16 because it more stable

Yes ram Works at best with even Timings but we are talking for the main Timings BUT they will do allmost the same with a ratio like this 

The default Settings are "safe" Trained you can allways Try one Settings Lower with no problemlo. Just give Them their Volts.

15 15 15 Auto Auto 

15 16 16 Auto Auto 

15 17 17 Auto Auto 

16 16 16 Auto auto

16 17 17 Auto auto

16 18 18 Auto Auto 

And so on

But 3000mhz should be stable at 

15 15 15

15 16 16

15 17 17

16 16 16 

Just Try it out.

The nice thing with ram they have clear Walls.

A Timing Boots or it Doesnt, when it Boots just use memtest for stability.

Does it Boot? Yes! 

Fine does it no failures with memtest? Yes!

Stable RAM.

CPU

Intel  i9 13900k

Motherboard

Asrock Z790 Taichi

RAM

Kingston Fury Beast DDR5 RGB 32GB 6000MHZ

GPU

MSI GeForce RTX 4090 GAMING TRIO 24G 

Storage

Samsung SSD 980 PRO 1TB 
Unraid NAS 10Gbit about 50TB HDD's, i713700k 64GB DDR5 crucial @ 5800Mhz 

Win11 Workstation

4 hours ago, Phas3L0ck said:

Is it fast enough for you? If yes, great! If not, overclock it! Do what works best for you, but don't criticize the OP for deciding to overclock ram. It is well documented that higher memory bandwidth benefits Ryzen systems, if you don't want to take advantage of that, that is your prerogative.

People love AMD for value. I sold an i7 4790k for $350 and purchased a Ryzen 1700 for $300 when it was new. Overclocked it and the performance is FAR better than my Intel. I consider overclocking ability to be an added value, AMD does it for free, Intel makes you pay extra on an already overpriced CPU.

QUOTE ME IF YOU WANT A REPLY!

PC #1

Ryzen 7 3700x@4.4ghz (All core) | MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon | Crucial Ballistix 2x16gb (OC 3600mhz)

MSI GTX 1080 8gb | SoundBlaster ZXR | Corsair HX850

Samsung 960 256gb | Samsung 860 1gb | Samsung 850 500gb

HGST 4tb, HGST 2tb | Seagate 2tb | Seagate 2tb

Custom CPU/GPU water loop

PC #2

Ryzen 7 1700@3.8ghz (All core) | Aorus AX370 Gaming K5 | Vengeance LED 3200mhz 2x8gb

Sapphire R9 290x 4gb | Asus Xonar DS | Corsair RM650

Samsung 850 128gb | Intel 240gb | Seagate 2tb

Corsair H80iGT AIO

Laptop

Core i7 6700HQ | Samsung 2400mhz 2x8gb DDR4

GTX 1060M 3gb | FiiO E10k DAC

Samsung 950 256gb | Sandisk Ultra 2tb SSD