[TS228A] Windows cannot access \\NAS

Amdixer

Hello all,

I have just purchased my new TS228A NAS. I have inserted the drives, gone through the whole setup and everything seems to be working just fine. There is however one problem. I can not access the NAS on my windows computer through file explorer. In order to give you an idea of what I have tried and what I can and cannot do, see below:

What I can do:

1. I can see and use the NAS on my macbook through Finder.

2. I can see the NAS, both the 'storage' and the 'computer' in the network screen of windows explorer. The storage device takes me to the administration page just fine.

3. I can access the NAS through its ip address in chrome to do admin tasks.

What I can not do:

1. Use the NAS with windows file explorer, it tells me that 'windows cannot access \\NAS'

2. Use the NAS with the IP address in file explorer. (same result as above)

What I have tried:

I have been googling for over 2 hrs now and I have tried:

1. Use SMB v1. Apparently lots of people were having issues with this, so I have re enabled SMB v1 in windows 10 and put the WS-Discovery on the NAS on SMB 1 to SMB3.

2. Put windows in the same workgroup. As far as I know this shouldn't matter since I'm running the NAS as a standalone server, but I have done so anyway.

3. Added the login credentials to the credentials manager in windows.

4. Enable local master browser in QNAP (didn't do anything) (disabled it afterwards)

5. Double check the network and sharing settings, it is now fully enabled for all network types. Didnt help.

6. Set network type to private. Didnt help.

None of these seem to work. My macbook can correctly identify the NAS as having 5 folders (some standard ones and one that I made). However I can not even get to this folder structure on windows. When I previously set up a NAS at work I could easily see the main folders and when I tried to open them it would then ask me for credentials.

image.png.3d25aa2c06b48bbcee963acc44f2498e.png

The windows "October update" (I think it was, the one that got massive delays and deleted files and shit) broke NAS access through file explorer to be fixed later. Had the same issue with mine, ended up finally swapping over to my NAS with a Web interface

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 minute ago, Amdixer said:

Of course the moment you make a forum post about it you solve it...

I found this site:

https://www.kapilarya.com/the-network-path-was-not-found-0x80070035-windows-10

My TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper service was disabled. After enabling it it works. Hope someone reads this and is helped by it :)

Glad you got it working... haven't seen that particular problem before myself.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

If you had tried \\server_ip it would have worked. You were using a NetBIOS name of the server/NAS. Good fix!

22 hours ago, FitnessOgre said:

If you had tried \\server_ip it would have worked. You were using a NetBIOS name of the server/NAS. Good fix!

I did actually try that and that dit not work either. Tried the following:

\\192.168.1.x

\\192.168.1.x\

192.168.1.x (takes you to the admin page)