Can’t decide which cooler

So I want to add a cooler either an air cooler like the Noctua D15, but I was considering an AIO but I would love to know any input on which one  you all have experience with or just input all together with. I was looking at quite a few different ones like the Corsair h100i or like the NZXT X52 or any others that y’all like??

Itll be going in an NZXT H500 case to cool off a Ryzen 5 2600 with a 2070 that I plan to OC a bit.

price is somewhat irrelevant but I was thinking around 100$-150$.

Pros with air coolers are: 

1. Cheaper
  2. Last forever (just replace a fan if it dies)
  3. Probably quieter in most scenarios (No pump noise)
  4. IMO they look a lot sleeker
  5. Draw less power

The only real pro I see with liquid coolers is the "wow" factor. Non-tech people find liquid cooling super cool. Some people argue that they look better.

I run a Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4. $90 on Amazon

~Air Cooling Advocate~

2600? Thermaltake contac silent 12. You're just wasting money with anything better. The contac silent 12 is proven to handle a 2600 at 1.4V while being relatively quiet and keeping temps under the 85C threshold. Even with a beefy air cooler like the D15 or an AIO you're seeing exactly zero performance increase due to the voltage curve / wall (going over 1.4V is dangerous to the lifetime of the 2600). 

Just now, Votivee said:

I run a Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4. $90 on Amazon

Overkill, unnecessary for the 2600. A contac silent 12 or CRYORIG m9a will achieve the *exact* same performance with acceptable temps while being just as quiet.

I would personally use an air cooler for a Ryzen 5 2600 it will be more consistent  you don't have to worry about a pump dying, something I'm currently going through, if you're OC you should go with an AIO though I had a corsair one before I switched to Threadripper and I had absolutely no problems I 100% recommend their AIOs. but that Noctua cooler you mentioned is going to be super reliable and will get you some great temps without the need for additional fans or finding the space for a radiator, also make sure you check RAM height and case size before getting a large tower cooler like that

Just now, hello_there_123 said:

Overkill, unnecessary for the 2600. A contac silent 12 or CRYORIG m9a will achieve the *exact* same performance with acceptable temps while being just as quiet.

Agreed. Was just responding to the part of the post where he asked what we use/have experience with:

7 minutes ago, Clockworkz said:

I would love to know any input on which one  you all have experience with or just input all together with.

~Air Cooling Advocate~

2 minutes ago, Home said:

I would personally use an air cooler for a Ryzen 5 2600 it will be more consistent  you don't have to worry about a pump dying, something I'm currently going through, if you're OC you should go with an AIO though I had a corsair one before I switched to Threadripper and I had absolutely no problems I 100% recommend their AIOs. but that Noctua cooler you mentioned is going to be super reliable and will get you some great temps without the need for additional fans or finding the space for a radiator, also make sure you check RAM height and case size before getting a large tower cooler like that

A 2600 isn't a threadripper. You wouldn't use a D15 or an AIO on a 2600 for the same reason you wouldn't use an AIO on a Pentium 4.

20 minutes ago, Clockworkz said:

So I want to add a cooler either an air cooler like the Noctua D15, but I was considering an AIO but I would love to know any input on which one  you all have experience with or just input all together with. I was looking at quite a few different ones like the Corsair h100i or like the NZXT X52 or any others that y’all like??

Itll be going in an NZXT H500 case to cool off a Ryzen 5 2600 with a 2070 that I plan to OC a bit.

price is somewhat irrelevant but I was thinking around 100$-150$.

You can easily get the same OC with a Noctua DH-15 compraed to a AIO.  So long as you have some nice airflow in the case and hot air pushing out.  Also with the Noctua the fan noise are very low.  I would suggest going with a Be Quiet Dark or a Evo 212 or a Noctua DH-15 ..... The noctua DH-15 will give you the best performance and low fan speed noise.  Dont forget even if you run AIO you still have fans to keep it cool which can be noisey.

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

2 minutes ago, Turtle Rig said:

The noctua DH-15 will give you the best performance and low fan speed noise. 

It actually won't. It'll get the same performance as a $20 cooler (the Thermaltake Contac Silent 12) due to the voltage curve and the fact that increasing voltage above 1.4v will decrease the 2600's lifetime immensely. The Contac Silent 12 will also be relatively quiet in its operation.

Ok cool. I got the case from my buddy who had it laying around and he put the upgraded fans in the case from NZXT instead of the stock lower quality ones that the case comes with. So I’m sure that the 4 in the case are providing excellent airflow. I am mainly wanting to get a better cooler to stray away from any future thermal throttling that may occur down the road from OCing.

So I’ll look into the dark rock along with the D15.

I have the Corsair vengeance RGB ram in the board now, so with the noctua some of you said to measure the height?? Do I need to measure something for the dark rock or the silent 12?

10 minutes ago, hello_there_123 said:

It actually won't. It'll get the same performance as a $20 cooler (the Thermaltake Contac Silent 12) due to the voltage curve and the fact that increasing voltage above 1.4v will decrease the 2600's lifetime immensely. The Contac Silent 12 will also be relatively quiet in its operation.

So the max OC on the 2600 is 1.4?

1 minute ago, Clockworkz said:

So the max OC on the 2600 is 1.4?

1.4V is the limit quoted most oftenly as when you push the 2600 higher than 1.4V, the lifetime decreases exponentially. This usually corresponds with a frequency of 4.2 GHz, 4.1 GHz for lottery losers (this is not actually that rare) and 4.3 GHz for lottery winners (although this is exceedingly rare). 

24 minutes ago, hello_there_123 said:

1.4V is the limit quoted most oftenly as when you push the 2600 higher than 1.4V, the lifetime decreases exponentially. This usually corresponds with a frequency of 4.2 GHz, 4.1 GHz for lottery losers (this is not actually that rare) and 4.3 GHz for lottery winners (although this is exceedingly rare). 

You talking about Sandy Bridge right ?  They are still releveant if OCed up to 4.4Ghz .....

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

Just now, Turtle Rig said:

You talking about Sandy Bridge right ?  They are still releveant if OCed up to 4.4Ghz .....

Ryzen 5 2600, not i7-2600.

2 minutes ago, hello_there_123 said:

Ryzen 5 2600, not i7-2600.

Ooops that is what I sorta thought.  My bad sorry.

2 hours ago, hello_there_123 said:

Air cooler performance is measured by CPU temperature, not by CPU clockspeed

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

7 hours ago, Quadriplegic said:

Air cooler performance is measured by CPU temperature, not by CPU clockspeed

Real life impact is measured by CPU clockspeed, not by CPU temperature. 

Who cares if a CPU is running at 80C or 60C as long as the clockspeed is the same and it's under the 85C threshold?