Problems attaching Raijintek Cooler to Dell 1155 Board - Backplates?

Jay Deah

I've got a PC i'm rebuilding into a new case to sell on based on a Dell Optiplex system, for years its been running it's standard Dell CPU cooler, but i think it will sell better with a better looking cooler as its going into a case with a transparent panel.

So, i did some research and bout a Raijntek CPU Cooler, as it's suitable for stock speeds and... well... its the cheapest thing with a light on it, and kids are all about the flashy lights :)

Anyway, so go to fit it and the bracket that the cooler attaches to wont fit into the board mounting holes, theyre too small. These holes are threaded for the dell CPU cooler. If i remove the backplate (which i cant really do as the socket cover will just fall off) then the holes fit fine, so that makes me think a standard LGA1155 board runs a different backplate and this dell one is customised.

Anyone got any idea what i need to do to solve this? Am i right about the backplate differences? If so can i just get myself a standard LGA1155 backplate? and if so what does one look like as all ive found on the internet are custom ones for waterblocks etc! Remember my goal is to sell the PC which is only worth a few hundred, so spending another 40 on a CPU cooler isnt economical.

here are some pics:

board/socket. you can see the holes where the dell cooler mounts

image.png.9ffbb3a29ebf085bf0c0c0018b325fa8.png

stock dell cooler:

image.png.d025c0d805571ed4d82680df3546268f.png

stock dell backplate:

image.png.aed69856c05aafdb1baed52b75487523.png

new cooler, showing the peg that clips to the board (the clear peg goes thru the hole and then that black peg gets pushed inside it so spread it and secure it.)

image.png.76a8bcf63ac51b85f81b77a5fd43310e.png

Dell (along with most other OEMs) attaches a backplate to their boards to screw the cooler into. And by "attaches", I mean, "glues the f**ker down." The backplate can be removed if you really want to by heating it with a hairdryer until the glue softens and you can gently, very gently like you're about to show a lady her first time only even more gently pry the backplate off with a wooden or plastic tool.

Realistically, though, it's easier to just get a cooler that uses those standard screw holes. If the board uses typical PWM fan headers, you can always replace the stock cooler's fan with something more colorful.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

so i removed the backplate with ease, guess that adhesive went bad over the years. the problem was with no backplate there's nothing to secure the retention bracket to, so clearly i need to replace the backplate with "something else" and its unclear to me what that is!

as for the fan... it doesnt use a standard PWM connector, but ive got an adapter Dell5pin->PWM so thats fine... i did consider replacing the fan as its just a standard 80mm fan, thing is i couldn't find any 80mm PWM LED Fans. and this thing was <£10 so it seems ideal for what i'm trying to do

Had the similar issue when mounting my Antec C40 to Lenovo OEM motherboard 2 years back. I could remove the backplate but then holes were too wide for plastic clips to grab onto it. I just heated them up, made them wider and thats it,and yeah, you should get a backplate like that one on the picture. 

been searching the internet and cannot find where i get a standard backplate!

yeah i could chop down my one, but i'm worried if i do that i'm screwed if i have a problem and need to put stock cooler back on.

4 minutes ago, Jay Deah said:

been searching the internet and cannot find where i get a standard backplate!

yeah i could chop down my one, but i'm worried if i do that i'm screwed if i have a problem and need to put stock cooler back on.

Maybe go to some refurbishers or get a faulty motherboard for cheap. 

ive ordered some M3 nuts. i think this should be ok to use on the back and hold in the retention arm i cant imagine it causing any worrysome stress on the board