Is “eaburl.com” a malware? How do I remove it?

Carlos R

Using an Inspiron 14 7000

everytime I type something into the browser and press enter so as to google it, briefly, before going to the google page, this weird url “eaburl.com/?vnd=1&q=SEARCHWORD” shows up in the url field. 

I found it quite sketchy and ran a google search for it. Some very sketchy looking websites claimed it was the work of malware and suggested differing steps to take care of it. 

As this is neither my laptop nor my area of expertise, I’m turning to the community: how should I proceed?

Install Malwarebytes and do a scan. 

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

I’m a bit timid to install anything over here, but the high number of posts on your account lends you enough credibility that I think I’ll do it. 

Do you mind explaining what this program is/why you’re recommending it?

2 minutes ago, Carlos R said:

Do you mind explaining what this program is/why you’re recommending it?

It's anti-malware software.

https://www.malwarebytes.com/premium/ 

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

eaburl is a notorious virus that invades your browser and will redirect you to /eaburl pages that can fill your screen with pop ups. It runs as a taxing background process that obtains user data if I'm not mistaken. So yeah get anti malware software then delete it, you have to use an anti malware software because that's the only way you can properly purge its files. Otherwise, it will simply reinstall itself.

The Louvre

Lian-Li PC-O11 DW   |   ZOTAC RTX 2080   |   Core i5 9600k   |   SeaSonic FOCUS Plus 650W Platinum   |   MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon  |  2x16Gb TRIDENT Z ROYAL  |   2xSX8200 240Gb NVME SSD's  |   1x Seagate Firecuda 1TB   |   EVGA Closed Loop Cooler 280mm   |   1x MSI MPG27C Monitor

Well, I followed your advice and that seems to have been taken care of. No longer that weird url pops up, 13 files were “quarantined”. Fine and dandy. 

It it occurs to me that this computer hasn’t been kept... safe. 

Should an antivirus be installed? McAfee came with it, but the license has already expired. Should I look into a paid one? Or a free one? 

Is there a “best practices for newbs” I could be pointed to? As it’s not my laptop I haven’t paid too much attention to what was being done with it, but, clearly, that was a mistake. 

2 hours ago, Carlos R said:

Well, I followed your advice and that seems to have been taken care of. No longer that weird url pops up, 13 files were “quarantined”. Fine and dandy. 

It it occurs to me that this computer hasn’t been kept... safe. 

Should an antivirus be installed? McAfee came with it, but the license has already expired. Should I look into a paid one? Or a free one? 

Is there a “best practices for newbs” I could be pointed to? As it’s not my laptop I haven’t paid too much attention to what was being done with it, but, clearly, that was a mistake. 

Bit defender and malwarebytes will be the best for you, McAfee will cause you more hassle than it will do good plus they're free.

The Louvre

Lian-Li PC-O11 DW   |   ZOTAC RTX 2080   |   Core i5 9600k   |   SeaSonic FOCUS Plus 650W Platinum   |   MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon  |  2x16Gb TRIDENT Z ROYAL  |   2xSX8200 240Gb NVME SSD's  |   1x Seagate Firecuda 1TB   |   EVGA Closed Loop Cooler 280mm   |   1x MSI MPG27C Monitor