Enough for upgrade to 2060?

SafeStrafe

Hi im upgrading to a 2060 from a 1060 3gb i play @1080p 144hz, i have a i7 6700 8 gb ram 1tb hardrive and a 120gb ssd, will the psu i have now be okay?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00H33SFJU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Current PC and Peripherals

CPU: i7 6700

CPU cooler: Cryorig H7

GPU: Evga RTX 2070

Memory: 16gb Corsair RGB

HDD: 1tb WD blue

SSD: 120gb Kingston

Headphones: Hyper x Cloud

Keyboard: Logitech g810

Mouse: Logitech g502

Monitor: Aoc 60hz

Other tech I own

iPhone 8

Edifier Prisma

Amazon echo dot

Apple Airpods

Go Pro Hero 7

I wouldn't run it on an EVGA W1, they're not exactly great quality units. I'd personally ditch the W1 and see if you could squeeze for a grey-label CX550M at least.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

The wattage amount is enough, but everything else about the PSU is no good. Bargain bin offering, could stand to be replace. If you get that 2060, you should consider some of the nicer budget options like the Corsair CX450M. They go on sale decently often, and are usually close to $45. 

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, TheSLSAMG said:

I wouldn't run it on an EVGA W1, they're not exactly great quality units. I'd personally ditch the W1 and see if you could squeeze for a grey-label CX550M at least.

something like this? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CX550M-CP-9020102-EU-Power-Supply/dp/B019NWRUXK

Other tech I own

iPhone 8

Edifier Prisma

Amazon echo dot

Apple Airpods

Go Pro Hero 7

Just now, LukeSavenije said:

no

it's pretty bad

Yeah, maybe.

If I am not mistaken it'll run just fine, you just dont have too much overhead currently.

the GPU (speculation not actual facts) is around 200w at most.  Nothing else from the rig should pull over 250w total.  Still leaving very little but some room for surge.  Like I said I could be wrong, but I am running a 2070 with way more drives & ram then you with a 600w.

1 minute ago, fasauceome said:

The wattage amount is enough, but everything else about the PSU is no good. Bargain bin offering, could stand to be replace. If you get that 2060, you should consider some of the nicer budget options like the Corsair CX450M. They go on sale decently often, and are usually close to $45. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CP-9020102-UK-CX550M-Bronze-Certified/dp/B01C3FFLZ8/ref=sr_1_2?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1550177644&sr=1-2&keywords=corsair+cx450m this ?

Other tech I own

iPhone 8

Edifier Prisma

Amazon echo dot

Apple Airpods

Go Pro Hero 7

Just now, Zanakinz said:

Yeah, maybe.

If I am not mistaken it'll run just fine, you just dont have too much overhead currently.

the GPU (speculation not actual facts) is around 200w at most.  Nothing else from the rig should pull over 250w total.  Still leaving very little but some room for surge.  Like I said I could be wrong, but I am running a 2070 with way more drives & ram then you with a 600w.

so you want to say you want to run a 400 dollar gpu on a crappy unit?

you really shouldn't. psus arent that expensive

1 minute ago, SafeStrafe said:

This would be a better bet as well.  But 500w is also fine.  I would suggest going for the one quoted above though, if you have the funds.

2 minutes ago, SafeStrafe said:

Yes, sometimes the 450 watt unit isn't cheaper so if that's the cheapest one you've found then it's good

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just now, LukeSavenije said:

so you want to say you want to run a 400 dollar gpu on a crappy unit?

you really shouldn't. psus arent that expensive

Im saying it for the specific reason that it would be okay to do.  The wattage is fine, if he's getting that one.  But like I said above, the modular one earlier is a better choice.

1 minute ago, LukeSavenije said:

MUCH better

i actually personally use it for my rig

ok perfect is a 2060 a good upgrade? for 1080p@144hz from a 1060 3gb

Other tech I own

iPhone 8

Edifier Prisma

Amazon echo dot

Apple Airpods

Go Pro Hero 7

Just now, SafeStrafe said:

1060 3gb is tons weaker then a 2060.. plus the turing is in it.  an upgrade is always better, but is the price worth it to you?  a 1060 3gb @ 1080p should still perform fine.  But a 2060 @ 1080p will perform even better.

3 minutes ago, Zanakinz said:

Im saying it for the specific reason that it would be okay to do.  The wattage is fine, if he's getting that one.  But like I said above, the modular one earlier is a better choice.

and I'm saying that's a stupid idea to do. and it has been fine for me isn't a excuse

3 minutes ago, SafeStrafe said:

2060 is great, but look around if you can find a vega 64 or 1070 ti somewhere for around the same price too

1 minute ago, Zanakinz said:

1060 3gb is tons weaker then a 2060.. plus the turing is in it.  an upgrade is always better, but is the price worth it to you?  a 1060 3gb @ 1080p should still perform fine.  But a 2060 @ 1080p will perform even better.

im not getting the fps i want for 144hz though

Other tech I own

iPhone 8

Edifier Prisma

Amazon echo dot

Apple Airpods

Go Pro Hero 7

1 minute ago, LukeSavenije said:

and I'm saying that's a stupid idea to do. and it has been fine for me isn't a excuse

2060 is great, but look around if you can find a vega 64 or 1070 ti somewhere for around the same price too

yeah i dont know much about amd tbh but i am considering it, i heard that games or more optimised for nvidia?

Other tech I own

iPhone 8

Edifier Prisma

Amazon echo dot

Apple Airpods

Go Pro Hero 7

Just now, SafeStrafe said:

im not getting the fps i want for 144hz though

Well from the results i've seen..  the 2060 is at least 50% better then the 1060 3gb...  Which I would say would increase FPS at least by 10(?).  I can't give too much of an educated answer as I started off with a 1060 6gb and then tried 2060(but then returned for a 2070).  You will notice a difference in power (with no ray tracing on) immediately.

1 minute ago, SafeStrafe said:

i heard that games or more optimised for nvidia?

not really, unless they use DLSS or RTX

Primary PC:

2 minutes ago, SafeStrafe said:

yeah i dont know much about amd tbh but i am considering it, i heard that games or more optimised for nvidia?

that's not true... just consider whatever you can find for the best price, but keep in mind a v64 is powerhungry

3 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

I never said anything about it being fine for me or him.  I'm just stating that it would work??  I'm not sure if i'm understanding wether you're trying to argue the point or not.  The semi-modular one listed above is better and only cost 5gbp more, but if he was to get that one for whatever reason it should work just fine is all I was trying to say.

yes ik i dont pay power bill so im ok lol, but will that psu be enough, the one u mentioned and said u have

Other tech I own

iPhone 8

Edifier Prisma

Amazon echo dot

Apple Airpods

Go Pro Hero 7

4 minutes ago, SafeStrafe said:

yes ik i dont pay power bill so im ok lol, but will that psu be enough, the one u mentioned and said u have

It's not a matter of paying the power bill :D its a matter of overloading your PSU which is super bad.  Especially if you just had a surge.

I personally would recommend nothing below 500w.  The one he listed is a good PSU to grab from what I have heard from others.

I believe I use:

https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-Bronze-Modular-Warranty-110-BQ-0600-K1/dp/B01MTJTO2O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1550178692&sr=8-1&keywords=EVGA+-+600B

which has lasted me awhile.

2 minutes ago, Zanakinz said:

its a matter of overloading your PSU which is super bad

The quality of the current PSU is in question

2 minutes ago, Zanakinz said:

I personally would recommend nothing below 500w.

Why's that? The rig won't be able to draw more than like 300 watts, maybe 350.

Primary PC:

Just now, fasauceome said:

Why's that? The rig won't be able to draw more than like 300 watts, maybe 350.

Headroom, surges, upgrades.  Having a 1200w psu is good even if you only use 300w.  PSU takes what it needs.

1 minute ago, fasauceome said:

The quality of the current PSU is in question

In that case, EVGA & ThermalTake & Corsair & Be quiet!  are all good brands.  But yes, the quality of both the PSU's are good.  Higher efficiency rating the better :)