Good upgrade for my 4790

benjiven

I have stuttering in all games and I frankly just want to get rid of the rest of my components. I can sell them and upgrade, but obviously it's rather expensive having to do a full update of RAM and Mobo.

What would be a worthwhile upgrade fro my 4790. I am thinking an 8700k would suffice for my 1070?

4 minutes ago, benjiven said:

stuttering in all games

Really? I would get more modern titles having trouble but the majority of games should do decently well.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Could it be a VRAM and system RAM size issue? GamersNexus talked about that a little. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

35 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Really? I would get more modern titles having trouble but the majority of games should do decently well.

I don't know what it is, maybe its just a specific combination of my components, but the stuttering is pretty much always there and I've done nearly everything to fix it, including replacing components.

I want to move to the next socket

34 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Could it be a VRAM and system RAM size issue? GamersNexus talked about that a little. 

I have 16gb ram so I doubt its that, maybe the speed at 1600mhz is affecting it.

2 minutes ago, benjiven said:

I don't know what it is, maybe its just a specific combination of my components, but the stuttering is pretty much always there and I've done nearly everything to fix it, including replacing components.

I want to move to the next socket

It's good to double check. It sucks to upgrade but then the problem was more fundamental so it still happens. You've of course checked task manager for 100% CPU usage right?

Also, I've made a build with a 1070 and 4790s, so same GPU and worse CPU, which didn't have these issues, so it would also help to know what titles you're having issues with just to be sure.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

47 minutes ago, benjiven said:

I have stuttering in all games and I frankly just want to get rid of the rest of my components. I can sell them and upgrade, but obviously it's rather expensive having to do a full update of RAM and Mobo.

What would be a worthwhile upgrade fro my 4790. I am thinking an 8700k would suffice for my 1070?

I wouldnt go for less than 8700. 4790 is still a super decent cpu, i use its Xeon equivalent and have 0 issues paired with 1070 Ti. 

1 minute ago, fasauceome said:

It's good to double check. It sucks to upgrade but then the problem was more fundamental so it still happens. You've of course checked task manager for 100% CPU usage right?

Also, I've made a build with a 1070 and 4790s, so same GPU and worse CPU, which didn't have these issues, so it would also help to know what titles you're having issues with just to be sure.

Yeah for sure. I have replaced the Mobo, Ram, SSD (twice), Psu. I have re-installed windows multiple times, tried different versions etc.

My only good guess is that my old mobo was doing something bad to the cpu and when I upgraded to a 4790 it caused issues in the chip that transferred onto my new Mobo.

I have checked CPU usage etc, it doesn't always happen when it hits 100%.

3 minutes ago, benjiven said:

have checked CPU usage etc, it doesn't always happen when it hits 100%.

Ah ok, so do you mean to say CPU usage usually is at or around 100%?

Primary PC:

Just now, fasauceome said:

Ah ok, so do you mean to say CPU usage usually is at or around 100%?

Yeah since I play at 144hz I usually push it higher with 100% usage, but having tried to put strain on the gpu lowering setting so it isnt at 100% I still get in game stuttering.

The stutter can be measured moving back and forth looking at a stationary object. It shouldn't judder every now and then but it does. I remember testing this before and not having this issue. 

3 minutes ago, benjiven said:

Yeah since I play at 144hz I usually push it higher with 100% usage, but having tried to put strain on the gpu lowering setting so it isnt at 100% I still get in game stuttering.

Ok, I made sure to ask because many people will assume a CPU bottleneck without checking usage. Yep, 144Hz is tough for old haswell to keep up with. One common misconception, putting more strain on the graphics card doesn't intrinsically put less on the CPU, and with your target of 144Hz, the CPU is doing all the work it can regardless of graphics settings.

An i7 8700 and a nice B360 or H370 board is a good replacement, or even an i5 8600 as you gain 2 cores even though you lose hyperthreading. Or you can get a K sku of either CPU and a Z series board in case you wanted to overclock.

Primary PC:

1 minute ago, fasauceome said:

Ok, I made sure to ask because many people will assume a CPU bottleneck without checking usage. Yep, 144Hz is tough for old haswell to keep up with. One common misconception, putting more strain on the graphics card doesn't intrinsically put less on the CPU, and with your target of 144Hz, the CPU is doing all the work it can regardless of graphics settings.

An i7 8700 and a nice B360 or H370 board is a good replacement, or even an i5 8600 as you gain 2 cores even though you lose hyperthreading. Or you can get a K sku of either CPU and a Z series board in case you wanted to overclock.

That's what I was thinking. Do you thin Ryzen 3000 will be better to wait for?

15 minutes ago, benjiven said:

That's what I was thinking. Do you thin Ryzen 3000 will be better to wait for?

Overall yes, not just because of its own supposed performance but also the fact that it will force Intel prices to drop because of how competitive it will be.

Primary PC: