Budget build for a friend

Metro_boomin

His budget for the hardware is $400 (Dont pay attention to the monitor) 

I already have a 2200G and a 1tb WD blue I’m giving him. Any recommendations?

Metro on the beat.

But in all seriousness.  I would also look on offerup/facebook marketplace for certain things considering he's already going to be using (assuming) used equipment from you.

Also, the monitor you said to ignore, I would get that on offerup as well.  For that price you can get an older 60hz 32-40" TV.  ijs.

I would (and have) get a video card from offerup/facebook marketplace for cheaper & then upgrade his PSU a little to a 550W just for that padding.  Or, risk it for the biscuit and get him a combo case that comes with a PSU.  They do work well in my experiences, I would just upgrade asap...  Should lower his budget range by a bit which increases headroom for better or additional parts.

I have personally found a 1060 6gb for sale for 130 near me on offerup (but im in LA).. can lower it to 120.  Always test before buying..  on your rig doing what you would naturally do with it (gaming assuming).

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

1 minute ago, Zanakinz said:

Metro on the beat.

But in all seriousness.  I would also look on offerup/facebook marketplace for certain things considering he's already going to be using (assuming) used equipment from you.

Also, the monitor you said to ignore, I would get that on offerup as well.  For that price you can get an older 60hz 32-40" TV.  ijs.

I would (and have) get a video card from offerup/facebook marketplace for cheaper & then upgrade his PSU a little to a 550W just for that padding.  Or, risk it for the biscuit and get him a combo case that comes with a PSU.  They do work well in my experiences, I would just upgrade asap...  Should lower his budget range by a bit which increases headroom for better or additional parts.

Thank you for being the first person to recognize my username??? I’ll look on offerup for some deals on gpus and maybe power supply’s, but he’s already got a tv which I said he should use untill he can afford a better monitor but oh well??

2 minutes ago, Slottr said:

This but 2x4GB RAM instead. Some new games actually care about dual vs single channel memory. Notably Battlefield V but many others do too.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

4 minutes ago, Slottr said:

I would dual-channel the ram at minimum.  Replace the case with something that has a battery as I stated before.  

4 minutes ago, Slottr said:

Great mobo reccomendation I didn’t notice that one, and the rx 580 is a good idea I’ll add those and try to fit them to the list

2 minutes ago, BobVonBob said:

This but 2x4GB RAM instead. Some new games actually care about dual vs single channel memory. Notably Battlefield V but many others do too.

Yeah I was going to use dual channel just because I heard single channel hurts gaming performance

Just now, Zanakinz said:

I would dual-channel the ram at minimum.  Replace the case with something that has a battery as I stated before.  

1 minute ago, BobVonBob said:

Reasoning behind this was because the board only supports two dimms, seeing as 16gb of ddr4 at 3000mhz is fairly expensive, this leaves leeway for an upgrade to 16gb at 3000mhz- which can easily be done for only 20$ over budget if they want.

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

Just now, Metro_boomin said:

Yeah I was going to use dual channel just because I heard single channel hurts gaming performance

It CAN from what i've seen.  But I don't think its always going to have a negative effect.  

1 minute ago, Slottr said:

Reasoning behind this was because the board only supports two dimms, seeing as 16gb of ddr4 at 3000mhz is fairly expensive, this leaves leeway for an upgrade to 16gb at 3000mhz- which can easily be done for only 20$ over budget if they want.

Yeah you're 100% correct.  I still suggest getting a case+psu bundle temporarily to get that dual-channel.

Oh that’s a good point

Just now, Zanakinz said:

Yeah you're 100% correct.  I still suggest getting a case+psu bundle temporarily to get that dual-channel.

Thats a pretty bad idea.

By no means is the unit I put in the list great, but its 100 times better than any cheap unit a manufacturer will bundle with a case.

3 minutes ago, Slottr said:

The asrock b450m has 4 visible dimm slots is there something I’m missing?

Thats a pretty bad idea.

By no means is the unit I put in the list great, but its 100 times better than any cheap unit a manufacturer will bundle with a case.

Yeah tbh if it’s not from someone reprutible or at LEAST 80+ bronze I’m not using it for someone else’s build. I don’t want to be responsible for someone’s house burning down lmao

Just now, Metro_boomin said:

The asrock b450m has 4 visible dimm slots is there something I’m missing?

I'm tripping, you're right.

Yeah so get 8gb dual channel. Make sure its 2666mhz or higher. 3000 optimally 

Thats a pretty bad idea.

What would be your reasoning?  Using the cheap PSU may not be the best, but as a temporary starter for say two-weeks until paycheck to buy a better one would not be a bad idea.  I have personally used a cheapo for a month and a half and had 0 issues ever.  You'll know if you have an issue right away & you can easily RMA if you so choose to do so.

updated list so far. Might buy a gpu used on eBay or craigslist but where I live there’s basically nothing near but which is surprising because I live near Austin

Just now, Zanakinz said:

What would be your reasoning?  Using the cheap PSU may not be the best, but as a temporary starter for say two-weeks until paycheck to buy a better one would not be a bad idea.  I have personally used a cheapo for a month and a half and had 0 issues ever.  You'll know if you have an issue right away & you can easily RMA if you so choose to do so.

Why would you waste money on a shitty case and a shitty power supply if you intend on replacing it within two weeks? Its not worth the fire risk or risk of losing the components you just bought.

I'm tripping, you're right.

Yeah so get 8gb dual channel. Make sure its 2666mhz or higher. 3000 optimally 

Yeah good point I forgot to make sure they were fast enough for ryzen

Just now, Slottr said:

Why would you waste money on a shitty case and a shitty power supply if you intend on replacing it within two weeks? Its not worth the fire risk or risk of losing the components you just bought.

For two reasons:

1. It may not be a shitty case as beauty is subjective to the person.

2. Its not guarenteed a fire-risk or even a risk at all.  Most of these parts are probably made in china.  You know these apple iPhones that most people seem to have..  Made in china.  Just because its a cheapo does not in any way shape or form mean you are going to have a fire risk or have a risk of losing your components.

3 minutes ago, Metro_boomin said:

updated list so far. Might buy a gpu used on eBay or craigslist but where I live there’s basically nothing near but which is surprising because I live near Austin

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/hGfmP6/raidmax-vortex-v4-atx-mid-tower-case-w450w-power-supply-atx-404wup

I am unsure how to link pcpartpickers but look at that.  It's nice looking to me, psu is probably good for maybe a month before you should start looking for an upgrade.

I wouldn't buy a used GPU on Ebay but locally.

3 minutes ago, Zanakinz said:

Sorry G but this is a soft no for me. If I find something that’s a good case that also has a good power supply. I’m completley willing to spend a little of my own money for a nice looking case. Probably just because I’m an artist and I’m too focused on the AsThEtIc but I want it to at least be somewhat attractive. And not prone to fire.

3 minutes ago, Metro_boomin said:

I’m completley willing to spend a little of my own money for a nice looking case

exactly,

And your friend or you may find the case I just linked to be a nice looking case.  I wouldn't even worry about it being a fire risk personally.

You have to also remember, this is a budget build.  If you want to be elitest go and get ASUS ROG gear.  I'm giving suggestions for someone who would be on a budget and could pack the most power right away out the box.  You can easily replace a PSU, this fire hazard nonsense is uncommon in my testing.

13 minutes ago, Zanakinz said:

2. Its not guarenteed a fire-risk or even a risk at all.  Most of these parts are probably made in china.  You know these apple iPhones that most people seem to have..  Made in china.  Just because its a cheapo does not in any way shape or form mean you are going to have a fire risk or have a risk of losing your components.

I don't understand how that is an argument? 

Sure iPhones come from china, but they're made with quality controlled parts that won't blow up on customers. Stop being arrogant and spend time to learn facts, and stop spitting out this ignorance to other users.