Does CPU bottneck cause stuttering 100% of the time?

benjiven

I cant seem to get information about whether or not CPU being the bottneck in certain game, for example for wanted to play at high fps at 1080p;will cause stuttering ALL the time

Surely in CSGO and other games that push fps to the limit the Cpu is always the bottleneck I don't see complaints of stuttering.

I had huge issues with stuttering on an i5 4590 so I switched to a i7 4790 and still stutter at 1080p, even when not hitting 100% usage. Having changed all of my hardware, I'm just asking whether or not my Cpu is way too under powered for 

Just now, benjiven said:

I cant seem to get information about whether or not CPU being the bottneck in certain game, for example for wanted to play at high fps at 1080p;will cause stuttering ALL the time

Surely in CSGO and other games that push fps to the limit the Cpu is always the bottleneck I don't see complaints of stuttering.

I had huge issues with stuttering on an i5 4590 so I switched to a i7 4790 and still stutter at 1080p, even when not hitting 100% usage.

To see if we can fix this problem the easiest thing and first thing to try is this.

Run DDU "Display Driver Uninstaller" in safe mode and clean and restart.  Come back to normal mode and install latest graphics drivers.

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

Also make sure page file is disabled and you have 16GB of ram and a SSD to boot.

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

Stuttering isn't always caused by a CPU bottleneck, even though CPU Bottlenecks usually cause stuttering.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Here are a few things that have fixed stuttering for me:

• reinstall the game
  • reinstall the graphics driver with DDU
  • Make sure Vsync is off
  • Turn Gsync or Freesync off (these have caused stuttering in some of my games.)
  • Limit the frame rate 
  • If you have an Nvidia card turn on Fast Sync*
    • This is a form of vertical sync that is meant for esports titles that have ridiculous frame rates (i.e. 300+) Only use this on games where your minimum FPS is greater than your monitors native refresh rate. 

Stuttering is usually caused by the CPU being overloaded by game asset streaming.  In games like CS:GO the CPU is being overloaded by the render thread, which just caps FPS.

13 minutes ago, Turtle Rig said:

To see if we can fix this problem the easiest thing and first thing to try is this.

Run DDU "Display Driver Uninstaller" in safe mode and clean and restart.  Come back to normal mode and install latest graphics drivers.

I have done that with numerous windows installations

14 minutes ago, Turtle Rig said:

Also make sure page file is disabled and you have 16GB of ram and a SSD to boot.

do NOT disable pagefile...

MSI GX660 + i7 920XM @ 2.8GHz + GTX 970M + Samsung SSD 830 256GB

Just now, Sorenson said:

Here are a few things that have fixed stuttering for me:

• reinstall the game
  • reinstall the graphics driver with DDU
  • Make sure Vsync is off
  • Turn Gsync or Freesync off (these have caused stuttering in some of my games.)
  • Limit the frame rate 
  • If you have an Nvidia card turn on Fast Sync*
    • This is a form of vertical sync that is meant for esports titles that have ridiculous frame rates (i.e. 300+) Only use this on games where your minimum FPS is greater than your monitors native refresh rate. 

Done all of those. Don't really want to limit fps

1 minute ago, Neftex said:

do NOT disable pagefile...

Agree.

Disabling pagefile can cause real problems with 32-bit programs.

5 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

Stuttering is usually caused by the CPU being overloaded by game asset streaming.  In games like CS:GO the CPU is just being overloaded by the render thread, which just caps FPS.

It happens in all titles.

Are you running the game off of a hard drive? This caused stuttering in League for me. 

15 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Stuttering isn't always caused by a CPU bottleneck, even though CPU Bottlenecks usually cause stuttering.

Why would it do that only some of the time on some systems. I used to max my i5 4590 all the time and not get stuttering like this on things like siege.

1 minute ago, Sorenson said:

Are you running the game off of a hard drive? This caused stuttering in League for me. 

Have now tried numerous drives and SSD's

22 minutes ago, Sorenson said:

If you have an extra drive try a fresh install of windows. 

I have done that too many times to count

It sounds like you have a hardware issue then. I would check your graphics card and ram. 

1 hour ago, Sorenson said:

It sounds like you have a hardware issue then. I would check your graphics card and ram. 

The gtx 1070 was a replacement from a 970, and I have recently updated to a i7 4790. I had stuttering in pubg beforehand, but never in rainbow and now everything does it. All of my hardware seems fine during testing, but it still stutters.

I had stuttering on my I5 6500 on PUBG, which I resolved by increasing the graphics quality (reducing the load on the cpu). Did you do a clean install when you replaced the i5 with the i7? Also make sure you have the most up to date microcode and other drivers for your motherboard from the manufacturer. 

23 minutes ago, Sorenson said:

I had stuttering on my I5 6500 on PUBG, which I resolved by increasing the graphics quality (reducing the load on the cpu). Did you do a clean install when you replaced the i5 with the i7? Also make sure you have the most up to date microcode and other drivers for your motherboard from the manufacturer. 

Microcode, you mean chip set drivers? You should be able to play high fps without getting stuttering, otherwise what would be the point of no Fps cap?

I did a clean install and replaced the motherboard.

Just now, benjiven said:

Microcode, you mean chip set drivers? You should be able to play high fps without getting stuttering, otherwise what would be the point of no Fps cap?

At a certain point your CPU can be overwhelmed by the amount of frames you are outputting, which is one form of a CPU bottleneck. This can result in stuttering because your frame rate will drop, which will be especially noticeable if you have Vsync on. To alleviate this kind of stuttering you want to increase your graphics setting, making the game more demanding on your GPU, which will give you a higher fps. You can test this by running a game and looking at hardware monitor or MSI afterburner. If you see that your GPU usage is low, but your CPU usage is really high then it is a CPU bottleneck. Also, as far as i'm aware, there is no benefit for having a frame rate higher than what your monitor can display. I.E. for a 144hz monitor, there would be no difference between limiting the game to 144fps and leaving the frame rate unlocked. You should try limiting the frame rate and see if it helps. 

5 minutes ago, Sorenson said:

At a certain point your CPU can be overwhelmed by the amount of frames you are outputting, which is one form of a CPU bottleneck. This can result in stuttering because your frame rate will drop, which will be especially noticeable if you have Vsync on. To alleviate this kind of stuttering you want to increase your graphics setting, making the game more demanding on your GPU, which will give you a higher fps. You can test this by running a game and looking at hardware monitor or MSI afterburner. If you see that your GPU usage is low, but your CPU usage is really high then it is a CPU bottleneck. Also, as far as i'm aware, there is no benefit for having a frame rate higher than what your monitor can display. I.E. for a 144hz monitor, there would be no difference between limiting the game to 144fps and leaving the frame rate unlocked. You should try limiting the frame rate and see if it helps. 

But I used to max out my i5 4590 lots on Siege, get zero stuttering and now having upgraded it stutters there too, regardless of settings. So it used to bottneck without that much stuttering but now it does.

You also say i will get higher fps if I put more pressure on the GPU?

Just now, benjiven said:

But I used to max out my i5 4590 lots on Siege, get zero stuttering and now having upgraded it stutters there too, regardless of settings. So it used to bottneck without that much stuttering but now it does.

YOu also say i will get higher fps if I put more pressure on the GPU?

If you have a cpu bottleneck turning up your settings will increase your FPS. This is because the CPU will be maxed out, but your GPU will only be running at like 60%. It sounds counterintuitive, but when I increased my settings in PUBG I went from 50~ fps to 70~.

PUBG was the only game I experienced stuttering on before eventually upgrading. The game stutters because it is resource intensive as its poorly optimized. If you did not have issues on your i5 but do now that you're using an i7, then there is a problem with the i7. 

The best advice i can give you is see if there is something you can fix with the i7 (like its over heating so putting a better cpu cooler on it) or swapping out the cpu to verify that it is a cpu issue. other than that I wouldn't know how to fix your issue. 

5 hours ago, Sorenson said:

If you have a cpu bottleneck turning up your settings will increase your FPS. This is because the CPU will be maxed out, but your GPU will only be running at like 60%. It sounds counterintuitive, but when I increased my settings in PUBG I went from 50~ fps to 70~.

PUBG was the only game I experienced stuttering on before eventually upgrading. The game stutters because it is resource intensive as its poorly optimized. If you did not have issues on your i5 but do now that you're using an i7, then there is a problem with the i7. 

The best advice i can give you is see if there is something you can fix with the i7 (like its over heating so putting a better cpu cooler on it) or swapping out the cpu to verify that it is a cpu issue. other than that I wouldn't know how to fix your issue. 

Max graphics the problem is exactly the same, I tried on lowest and it is the same also. The i7 benches just fine, I don't see any thermal issue with it either.

Sometimes it was a constant stutter. Others when ever I would ads or move the mouse fast. Then some maps were worse then others and it would be intermittent. 

Never acted the same in all of my games between the 3 cpu’s I was using at the time. 

Had to retire the 4790k to older games that it could actually handle on 1440p. Or mod the somewhat newer game I play so it only sits at 80% now. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz