Valve helped Oculus with the Crystal Cove VR headset

qwertywarrior

http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/valve-helped-oculus-with-the-crystal-cove-vr-headset-1216080

Though Valve has its own virtual realtiy tech that it has been demoing, the company worked with Oculus on the Crystal Cove VR headset, which was showcased at CES 2014.

Michael Abrash, who heads Valve's R&D department, led a panel at Steam Dev Days on virtual reality and revealed that Valve had collaborated with Oculus on the tracking features of Crystal Cove.

Specifically, the tracking feature uses markers, sensors and a camera to track the position of the user's head and body.

VR superteam

While some who have tried Valve is saying that its VR prototype tech is much better than that of the Crystal Cove, Valve isn't trying to compete with Oculus' VR offering by any means.

A slide from Abrash's talk, taken by Steam Dev Days attendee Dave Oshry, shows that Valve is planning to continue developing a strong relationship with Oculus on the VR front.

With this is mind, it is more likely that Valve will continue to work on the R&D behind VR, while relying on a strong collaboration with Oculus to drive marketable VR wearables.

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Wow.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Wow.

much wow indeed

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

so now i can play on my steam box and use my oculus rift at the same time...

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

so now i can play on my steam box and use my oculus rift at the same time...

ehh ?

u could always use oculus rift  on steam  and some steam games

they are just saying that they are making a VR thats better than the Oculus

This is exciting. Can't wait to see Valve's approach.

| 5820k+EK supremacy nickel+acetal white 4.5Ghz | X99 Deluxe | Enthoo Luxe | 2x gtx780+komod NV full cover block | Corsair AX1200i | WD blue 500gb |

Kingston V300 120gb | Samsung 840 Evo 500gb| Bitspower D5 vario+Res combo | primochill advanced LRT tubing (Solid White) |

| Alphacool Nexxos MONSTA dual 120mm Black Ice nemesis GTX360 triple 120mm | Noctua NF-F12 X4 | Bitspower true silver 1/2ID 3/4 OD compressions (various angles) |

Valve helped more. Those that have bared eyes upon the Valve prototype have said it is the future. it probably has 4k panels for each eye and it pure perfection. valve has actually given Oculus all the prototypes and are helping them develop they Rift.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

Kinda makes sense that the Valve one is better than the Oculus version, Oculus has a specific price point to hit, whereas Valve has no intention of selling there prototype so they can use whatever parts they see fit.

Certainly interesting, would be nice to see a direct comparison between the two as most of the stuff I've read was from a single dev who had not yet tried Crystal Cove.

CPU: 6700k GPU: Zotac RTX 2070 S RAM: 16GB 3200MHz  SSD: 2x1TB M.2  Case: DAN Case A4

Much luv, Valve. <3

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx