New PC build plans, I have a few questions.

Nobaris

Hello everyone,

I am new to the PC building world, and I am currently planning a high-end build (access it here: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/CYqWsZ). I want the best of the best, the cream of the crop as I can spend as much as I want to on a build that would last me a couple years (or more). 

A few questions about the build: 

1. Is the NZXT Kraken X72 the best AIO cooler? If anyone has any other better suggestions, feel free to tell me! ?

2. On the PCPartPicker website provided, it says that the MSI Z390 MEG Godlike motherboard would not fit into the COSMOS C700M. Is this true? I have asked a few other people on this and some said the motherboard WILL fit. (The C700M only supports ATX motherboards up to 12” x 10.7”. The Godlike is exactly that size.) On the other hand, there are people who have told me the C700M does not support E-ATX boards (the Godlike’s form factor) and might be a good option to not risk it. 

3. I can already predict people saying something on my choice of the graphics card. I just felt the MSI Gaming X Trio would be the best. Again, feel free to comment and tell me a better option. (You can do that for the RAM sticks, case fans, monitor, SSD or AIO cooler too.)

4. Any other opinions on how to make my build/monitor better? Just say it!

Important things to note:

1. Price shouldn’t be a factor! Just give me suggestions (maybe with reasons) and I will consider them. 

2. I will be using this PC 90% for gaming, 10% for working. Games I play include Overwatch, CS:GO, R6 Siege and BO4. I will also be overclocking my CPU, RAM and graphics card. Do keep that in mind. 

3. For this build I am going for maximum performance for gaming. Also, the theme for this build is a greyish stealth look on the outside, with icy white+blue RGB insides. Might look really cool. ?

4. Please do not give fanboy suggestions . For example, if you love Corsair very much, you might give me suggestions to switch out my power supply, AIO cooler or case for Corsair stuff. Unless you can give me a website with benchmark proof that it actually gives me a benefit, this is greatly unappreciated. However, do note that you NEED NOT provide benchmark proof. A past pleasant experience or theoretical idea would be nice too. 

5. I seem rich. Yes, I am. For curious people, these are my peripherals: Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum

Mouse: Logitech G502 HERO

Mousepad: Steelseries Qck Mass Large (planning to upgrade to Glorious 3XL)

Headphones: Sony WH-1000XM3 (not a gaming headset)

That’s it! If you want to answer any question, clear any queries, give any feedback or just sheer opinions, do comment down below to help me perfect this build! Thanks alot in advance!

1. The Kraken x72 is one of the best if not the best, should do you well if you aren't going a custom loop.

2. Looking at the case it should fit fine. At worst you could lose a little bit of cable management room through the rubber cable runs.

3. The card is fine. You probably wouldn't notice a difference between top end 2080ti's.

4. 9900k is overkill for just gaming but it won't hurt anything if you just want to spend extra.

I would get more storage than just your one m.2 nvme ssd. Games generally can run a bit better if they're offloaded to a secondary hard drive so that they aren't fighting the OS for the same resources. Held true back in the day but with how fast new ssd's are it may not matter, but if you've got money to spend I would get a smaller 256gb or 512gb m.2 nvme ssd for a boot drive and use that 1tb as a game drive.

Why not SLI 2080ti? You'll max out all the games you listed with extreme ease on one card, but just a thought.

Personally, I like the swiftek coolers because they are American made and because I've just had a better experience with them.

They are not a name brand, but they are a good brand.

• CPU
    i7-6850k
  • Motherboard
    MSI X99A Sli Plus
  • RAM
    32GB Crucial Ballistix LP      DDR4-2400
  • GPU                                            MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8Gb
  • Case
    Thermaltake Level 20 MT ARGB
  • Storage
    Samsung 250GB 850 pro,        WD Black 1TB, WD blue 3TB
  • PSU
    Thermaltake Toughpower 1200w
  • Display(s)
    Asus vg248qe, Asus vg245h
  • Cooling
    Swiftech H220-x
  • Keyboard
    Logitech g910
  • Mouse
    Logitech g502
  • Sound
    Áudio Technica ATH-M50x
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro
  • PCPartPicker URL

my suggestion if you really want to spend that much. i wouldn't do it because you can get almost as good for much less... but it's your choise

here you go

There really isn't one reason in the world to pay that much for a motherboard without going HEDT. I would rather get the highest end Z390 Aorus Board. That motherboard is stupidly overpriced and believe me, it doesn't mean you're buying the best just because it has the highest price tag.

That's definitely not how you waste money on a good PC. If you want to burn money, do a full custom water loop and just get good quality parts. It'll cost around the same and you'll have a way better computer.

Ryzen 3800X + MEG ACE w/ Radeon VII + 3733 c14 Trident Z RGB in a Custom Loop powered by Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium
PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | My Build

8 minutes ago, ChewToy! said:

There really isn't one reason in the world to pay that much for a motherboard without going HEDT

or going hedt for this

but that aside

On 2/12/2019 at 9:06 PM, sergeantsilent said:

1. The Kraken x72 is one of the best if not the best, should do you well if you aren't going a custom loop.

Thanks for the suggestion! I shall now consider going for a custom loop. However, I am not familiar with these kind of things. Do you have any tips or recommendations for custom water cooling? On that note, I will be getting 2 SSDs, one 2TB and another 512GB. Which should be the faster one? By the way, I might even consider SLI. Thanks!

On 2/12/2019 at 9:07 PM, Tylerebowers said:

Personally, I like the swiftek coolers because they are American made and because I've just had a better experience with them.

Any other reason I should consider them? Thanks for the suggestion anyway!?

On 2/12/2019 at 9:10 PM, LukeSavenije said:

you can get almost as good for much less... but it's your choise

Alright. Keyword: “almost”. I am going for a top system to last me a few years. I will still consider the motherboard, RAM and PSU though. Thank you for suggesting!

On 2/12/2019 at 9:19 PM, ChewToy! said:

There really isn't one reason in the world to pay that much for a motherboard without going HEDT. I would rather get the highest end Z390 Aorus Board. That motherboard is stupidly overpriced and believe me, it doesn't mean you're buying the best just because it has the highest price tag.

That's definitely not how you waste money on a good PC. If you want to burn money, do a full custom water loop and just get good quality parts. It'll cost around the same and you'll have a way better computer.

Hmm, a bold statement! What motherboard do you recommend I get then? Please give a couple reasons too. On the custom loop part, I am considering to do it already. Any tips on how to get the best cooling performance, style, with low noise? Do suggest a brand too! Thank you!

On 2/12/2019 at 9:28 PM, LukeSavenije said:

or going hedt for this

A foreign phrase! May I know what HEDT means? I am kinda new to this; a little explanation would help a lot, really!

55 minutes ago, Nobaris said:

A foreign phrase! May I know what HEDT means? I am kinda new to this; a little explanation would help a lot, really!

HEDT are the highest end consumer chips, also known as x299 for example.

1 hour ago, Nobaris said:

Alright. Keyword: “almost”. I am going for a top system to last me a few years. I will still consider the motherboard, RAM and PSU though. Thank you for suggesting!

yea, but you won't really lose much, because that motherboard won't give you a big benefit (16+1 vs 12+1), both coolers are good, and the case is personal preference. but in the end it's your choice what you do

6 hours ago, Nobaris said:

Thanks for the suggestion! I shall now consider going for a custom loop. However, I am not familiar with these kind of things. Do you have any tips or recommendations for custom water cooling? On that note, I will be getting 2 SSDs, one 2TB and another 512GB. Which should be the faster one? By the way, I might even consider SLI. Thanks!

I would definitely get ideas from other people's builds on this site for inspiration. Pre-plan where you're going to put everything--radiators, the pump/res, tubes. 

9 hours ago, Nobaris said:

Hmm, a bold statement! What motherboard do you recommend I get then? Please give a couple reasons too. On the custom loop part, I am considering to do it already. Any tips on how to get the best cooling performance, style, with low noise? Do suggest a brand too! Thank you!

I would get a Gigabyte Aorus Master, those are great boards and some of the best Z390 has to offer. It's really up to you whether it's worth it or not, I just provided my opinion. The Godlike is a great board, Gigabyte also makes the Aorus Extreme, which might be worth looking at but it's up there in the same price range as the Godlike. There's just nothing to upgrade the 9900K to after you buy that board, and cheaper boards can pretty much do the same thing..I got one of the best X470 boards I could (fortunately they're a lot cheaper than the Godlike), only because I plan to upgrade to future/better processors down the road. If you want it just for looks, then by all means, knock yourself out. Performance wise, I don't think it's necessary. If you're rich and just want the best (I think money could be better spent), go ahead, treat yourself, I'm sure you deserve it. If money wasn't really a concern, I would probably get the best too.

Ryzen 3800X + MEG ACE w/ Radeon VII + 3733 c14 Trident Z RGB in a Custom Loop powered by Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium
PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | My Build

On 2/16/2019 at 5:24 PM, LukeSavenije said:

you have a empty list for me

and I'm not that good at custom watercooling

Oops! Turns out, the site is only temporary and lasts for about 48 hours (I think). That link was crrated about a week ago. Sorry for the confusion. (I can’t make another list.) It’s okay if you’re not good. Thanks for the feedback though!

On 2/16/2019 at 7:50 PM, sergeantsilent said:

I would definitely get ideas from other people's builds on this site for inspiration. Pre-plan where you're going to put everything--radiators, the pump/res, tubes. 

I understand where you’re coming from. Do you, by chance, know any youtubers or people who have done similar high-end builds with custom water loops? Even though I’ve planned the position of the radiator, fans, tubes and reservoir, I could always use some new ideas that might be better. (It would be much better if the build is in a COSMOS C700M case.) Thank you for your advice!

On 2/12/2019 at 2:46 PM, Nobaris said:

COSMOS C700M.

The build is amazing. I quoted Cosmos because it's a case stuck in the past. There was a time when Cosmos was probably the best Full tower out there but right now it's not a good option. Still big and kind of badass but bad quality overall, really bad price and harder to build in it than its adversaries. 

On 2/16/2019 at 7:18 AM, Nobaris said:

I will be getting 2 SSDs, one 2TB and another 512GB.

You can also add a 4/6 TB of the new black HDDs. Depending on your space usage. In example for me 2,4 or even 6 TBs are not enough so for more space i add fast HDDs and not ssds.

On 2/18/2019 at 5:43 PM, Settlerteo said:

Still big and kind of badass but bad quality overall, really bad price and harder to build in it than its adversaries.

That’s actually true. I chose it for its bad-ass looks and right size that fits all the other components. If not this near-to-perfect case, what chassis would you recommend? I want it: a) SUPER-COOL and futuristic looks, b) can fit all the other components, and c) has good ventilation, airflow and cable management features. Know any? Just comment down below!

How about RAM sticks? Still not very sure the G.Skill Trident Z RGB is the best choice. I need something with about 4000++mhz and classy looking. (A little bit of RGB, but not too much till it looks like a disco party. ☹️ ) It need not be a well-known brand, just something thats reliable and good performing too.