Mayflower O2 DAC/AMP vs Schiit Stack vs Micca Origen v1

johnt

I currently use a Micca Origen v1 at work with my DT770-250ohm headphones. I've got the itch to upgrade, but I don't know if it will be money well spent. I am considering the Mayflower O2 DAC/AMP combo or the Schiit Stack. Possibly even the Schiit Fulla. It's just easier to have one unit on my desk at work than separates though.

I'll clarify and say I'm not having quality issues with the Origen, but I think there are some driver conflicts. My middle monitor stops showing an image when I start streaming music, even though it is still receiving a signal. It's the most bizarre thing I've ever seen. I also want to move to a DAC that does not require a driver to function. The Origen required I disable driver signing. I don't think I'll be able to do that again with a new work assigned PC.

Some of these DAC/Amps that I'm comparing are not exactly from a similar era or in the same price range, so finding comparison reviews has been slim.

Thoughts? Experiences with these products? Can I make a bad decision? Will I even notice a difference over the Micca?

Arc is Crap, Origen is crap, Fulla is not very good, Stack is pretty good, JDS Labs Atom with OL DAC or Modi 3 is best.

Just now, Max_Settings said:

BTW 250ohm 770s don’t really benefit from an amp.

Myth

You know the impedance doesn’t make them hard to drive right? The 770 250ohm is really efficient. Doesn’t really need an Amp to be driven properly. I would get like a DACX6 and put the rest of the money towards better headphones.

1 minute ago, Max_Settings said:

Facts

My ears bro. I have two options: 1) janky HP work assigned laptop, or 2) dedicated amp. The difference in bass detail is absolute night and day.

Just now, JohnT said:

My ears bro. I have two options: 1) janky HP work assigned laptop, or 2) dedicated amp. The difference in bass detail is absolute night and day.

Well if you have really shitty onboard then sure.

You know the impedance doesn’t make them hard to drive right? The 770 250ohm is really efficient. Doesn’t really need an Amp to be driven properly. I would get like a DACX6 and put the rest of the money towards better headphones.

I didn't say they were hard to drive. I've previously mentioned, in other threads, the 250's are easily driven by my iPhone 5c on an airplane to a comfortable hearing levels. But when I got the Origen, the highs and lows were significantly cleaned up. Especially the deep low end... while an amp is not required, it does make an impact. I'm a firm believer in dedicated amps. I have one in nearly every sound setup in my house except my living room tv (no space). 

What better headphones would you recommend? I've always considered the the 770's near the top of reasonably priced headphones. I have limitations too. I can't take $1,500 headphones to work.

2 minutes ago, JohnT said:

I didn't say they were hard to drive. I've previously mentioned, in other threads, the 250's are easily driven by my iPhone 5c on an airplane to a comfortable hearing levels. But when I got the Origen, the highs and lows were significantly cleaned up. Especially the deep low end... while an amp is not required, it does make an impact. I'm a firm believer in dedicated amps. I have one in nearly every sound setup in my house except my living room tv (no space). 

What better headphones would you recommend? I've always considered the the 770's near the top of reasonably priced headphones. I have limitations too. I can't take $1,500 headphones to work.

I personally really hate the DT770. The bass is way too bloated, the highs are overly sharp and the mid range is absolutely awful. AKG K553 MKii would be my pick for sub $200 closed. 

I personally really hate the DT770. The bass is way too bloated, the highs are overly sharp and the mid range is absolutely awful. AKG K553 MKii would be my pick for sub $200 closed. 

Wait were you the guy who posted that long thread a couple days/weeks ago showing the FR curves and giving your judgement on them??

Just now, JohnT said:

Wait were you the guy who posted that long thread a couple days/weeks ago showing the FR curves and giving your judgement on them??

On the 770? No I don’t think so. I haven’t reviewed it yet. I did make a topic about studio headphones and how they are not neutral and that graph was on there though as one of a few examples.

On the 770? No I don’t think so. I haven’t reviewed it yet. I did make a topic about studio headphones and how they are not neutral and that graph was on there though as one of a few examples.

YEAH! It was you!!! I struggled commenting on your post lol. I didn't agree with your assessment on the 770s. Maybe my ears are adjusted to them, but I find the Origen+770 combo to be balanced for the modern music I generally listen to. I'm not expert or anything though on headphones. I've only compared them, side by side, against the M50x... and that's not a fair comparison in the bass department.

The K553 looks very intriguing. Not very comfy looking though.

Just now, JohnT said:

YEAH! It was you!!! I struggled commenting on your post lol. I didn't agree with your assessment on the 770s. Maybe my ears are adjusted to them, but I find the Origen+770 combo to be balanced for the modern music I generally listen to. I'm not expert or anything though on headphones. I've only compared them, side by side, against the M50x... and that's not a fair comparison in the bass department.

The K553 looks very intriguing. Not very comfy looking though.

Well I mean you can’t really disagree with what I said about them because it’s objective. I can prove that without any opinion whatsoever through measurements.

Well I mean you can’t really disagree with what I said about them because it’s objective. I can prove that without any opinion whatsoever through measurements.

Interpretations are not objective haha. I just thought your interpretation of the FR measurements seemed rather exaggerated regarding the 770s.

What were you listening to when you tried the 770s?

Just now, JohnT said:

Interpretations are not objective haha. I just thought your interpretation of the FR measurements seemed rather exaggerated regarding the 770s.

What were you listening to when you tried the 770s?

I mean they aren’t really exaggerated. You probably just lack context of what is out there on the market when it comes to headphones which is fine of course. A lot of the time you think you like something until you try other things and realize what you had was actually really bad. Super common in audio.

As for what, just some of my typical test tracks last time I demoed them. I’ve tried the 32, 80, and 250ohm. 250 is the best but issues still basically the same. Bass bleeds way too far into everything else and the mid range is horrible and recessed. And treble is overly sharped. Haven’t heard the 600ohm version but I hear that is the worst version. 

Only Beyer headphone that is good is the DT880 IMO.