A bit of stuttering on high-end new PC

Mavericknese

I need some help with the brand new gaming PC i just bought.

What i had in mind when i bought this PC was a completely stutter free gaming experience on 1080p/60 FPS/Max settings. I got most of it, but there is still a bit of stuttering in new games (PUBG, GTA V, Hitman 2).

Can someone help me fix it?

PC spec:

Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX x299 E-Gaming

Processor: I7-7740X

GPU: GTX 1070

Memory: 1x Kingston HyperX Fury DDR4/ 8 GB/ 2666 Mhz

SSD: Kingston 2.5" 240GB A400

I always run v-sync off and 1 pre-rendered frames on Nvidia configs.

One fix i thought of was adding one more 8 GB memory for dual-channel (processor and motherboard supports it) but i don't think that would be the reason, since most games, if not all, don't use more than 8 GB (even according to Linus in one of his vid).

Case: Corsair Carbide SPEC-OMEGA Black/Red

PSU: Corsair TX750M

Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX X299-E GAMING

CPU: Intel I7-7740X

CPU Water Cooler: Corsair H80i v2

GPU: ASUS DUAL-O8G GeForce GTX 1070

RAM: 1x Kingston HyperX FURY 8GB 2666Mhz DDR4

HDD: Seagate SATA 3,5" BarraCuda 1TB

3 minutes ago, Mavericknese said:

How much storage space have you got left? Usually when you have low storage space your game begins to stutter.

Also I'd definitely upgrade your RAM to 16GB, since some games do use more than 8GB RAM.

1 minute ago, 1kv said:

How much storage space have you got left? Usually when you have low storage space your game begins to stutter.

Also I'd definitely upgrade your RAM to 16GB, since some games do use more than 8GB RAM.

142/222 GB, most of the games i play don't exceed 8 GB RAM, thats why i don't think it is the reason.

Just now, Mavericknese said:

142/222 GB, most of the games i play don't exceed 8 GB RAM, thats why i don't think it is the reason.

That seems a bit weird then.. Have you tried turning down MSAA and FXAA settings? 

6 minutes ago, 1kv said:

That seems a bit weird then.. Have you tried turning down MSAA and FXAA settings?  

The PC should be able to run everything without downgrading anything, thats the point. It shouldn't be strugging, expecially when most of the time FPS is higher than 60, and the stutter seems to not be connected to the FPS getting lower than 60...

Just now, Mavericknese said:

The PC should be able to run everything without downgrading anything, thats the point. It shouldn't be strugging, expecially when most of the time FPS is higher than 60, and the stutter seems to no be connected to the FPS getting lower than 60...

Turning down MSAA/FXAA settings will help quite a lot. Honestly, the impact those settings have on performance is much more noticeable when you turn them off.

2 minutes ago, 1kv said:

Turning down MSAA/FXAA settings will help quite a lot. Honestly, the impact those settings have on performance is much more noticeable when you turn them off.

Ok, i will try that and post if it got better, i assure you're saying turning down on the game i'm playing and not Nvidia's...

1 minute ago, Mavericknese said:

Ok, i will try that and post if it got better, i assure you're saying turning down on the game i'm playing and not Nvidia's...

Yeah, on the game.

First of all, super weird choice on CPU, I didn't realise a single person bought a 7740X, it will help populating your second memory channel. Also running monitoring tools in the background to identify if your CPU or GPU is hitting 100% usage.

16 minutes ago, schwellmo92 said:

First of all, super weird choice on CPU, I didn't realise a single person bought a 7740X, it will help populating your second memory channel. Also running monitoring tools in the background to identify if your CPU or GPU is hitting 100% usage.

Will tell you the reason why, as you can see, i updated my motherboard to this generation (2066), and wanted a CPU that was not 6 core, because it would be overkill for most games if not streaming (since most don't even use more than 4), and with high performance on a single one (this CPU has 4.3 Ghz), and it was on discount where i bought.

About monitoring tools which one do you recommend? I used the one that came with the GPU (Asus GPU Tweak 2), and already can tell you that it hits MAX 98% usage in heavy games.

You're losing a lot of performance due to single channel RAM. If you wanted 8 GB you should have went with 2x4. 

I don't know if this is what's causing the stuttering, but you should definitely upgrade to dual channel imo. 

i7 9700K @ 5 GHz, ASUS DUAL RTX 3070 (OC), Gigabyte Z390 Gaming SLI, 2x8 HyperX Predator 3200 MHz

34 minutes ago, Monarch said:

You're losing a lot of performance due to single channel RAM. If you wanted 8 GB you should have went with 2x4. 

I don't know if this is what's causing the stuttering, but you should definitely upgrade to dual channel imo. 

Thanks, will probably update to dual-channel as soon as possible, but as i said, don't think thats the reason of the stuttering.

I can post some gameplays, but i've never recorded and i don't have that much experience on it. Any tips on programs just to record gameplay?

Edit: Can you see the little stutter on 4:48 left side of the screen in the video you sent me? thats exacly what happens to me, more frequently on PUBG than other games (on RE 2 remake for example, i rarely ever encounter one, with say, 1 stutter for a minute), but for PUBG would be like 1 stutter each 5 seconds.

I notice in the video that the left side (single channel) tends to stutter a little bit more, but that i could be wrong, i will try to update it to see if helps or fixes it.

55 minutes ago, Mavericknese said:

Will tell you the reason why, as you can see, i updated my motherboard to this generation (2066), and wanted a CPU that was not 6 core, because it would be overkill for most games if not streaming (since most don't even use more than 4), and with high performance on a single one (this CPU has 4.3 Ghz), and it was on discount where i bought.

About monitoring tools which one do you recommend? I used the one that came with the GPU (Asus GPU Tweak 2), and already can tell you that it hits MAX 98% usage in heavy games.

Still doesn't explain why you would go HEDT, when you could've just got a 7700K mainstream setup for much cheaper.

Even just task manager would be fine, after a stutter check in task manager if any threads maxed out on the CPU or if the GPU maxed out.

25 minutes ago, Mavericknese said:

Thanks, will probably update to dual-channel as soon as possible, but as i said, don't think thats the reason of the stuttering.

I can post some gameplays, but i've never recorded and i don't have that much experience on it. Any tips on programs just to record gameplay?

Single-channel is literally half the memory bandwidth, it makes a large difference in some games but not others. You can use Shadowplay for recording.

so i had an issue with my 1070 and i used DDU and went to safe mode and un installed the drivers. then went to normal desktop and reinstalled them and stuttering stopped

CPU AMD 5800x_____Asus Crosshair VIII_____Asus Strix LC 360_____RAM Corsair Dominator Pro 2x8Gb 3600mhz_____ASUS RTX 3080 Strix

PSU Corsair HX1000w_____CASE Lian Li 011 Dynamic (original choice right? w/9 UNI Fans)_____Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Chroma_____Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma_____Headphones Bose QC25_____Monitor (1) Acer Predator XB1 144hz G-Sync  (2) Benq 144hz G-Sync

Microphone Blue Yeti Black

Razer Blade 14

Also an XBOX one s.

14 minutes ago, schwellmo92 said:

Still doesn't explain why you would go HEDT, when you could've just got a 7700K mainstream setup for much cheaper.

Even just task manager would be fine, after a stutter check in task manager if any threads maxed out on the CPU or if the GPU maxed out.

Single-channel is literally half the memory bandwidth, it makes a large difference in some games but not others. You can use Shadowplay for recording. 

Here in my country, this CPU was 1050 R$ (Edit: Right now, it is 1700 R$, it was indeed a discount), the i7-7700k was not only unavailable, but 1764 R$. And i wanted a motherboard that supports any future 2066 CPU update.

And about gameplay, i don't think it will be needed as it is EXACTLY the same kind of stutter that was in the video Monarch sent me, at 4:48 left side, so i can just say an average frequency of this happening like i said in the edit (RE 2 happens like 1 stutter for a minute) and PUBG something like (1 stutter for 5 to 10 seconds), but i will try to record and post some anyways if i don't encounter too much trouble.

7 hours ago, Mavericknese said:

Edit: Can you see the little stutter on 4:48 left side of the screen in the video you sent me? thats exacly what happens to me, more frequently on PUBG than other games (on RE 2 remake for example, i rarely ever encounter one, with say, 1 stutter for a minute), but for PUBG would be like 1 stutter each 5 seconds.

I notice in the video that the left side (single channel) tends to stutter a little bit more, but that i could be wrong, i will try to update it to see if helps or fixes it.

Yes, I can see the stutter. The frame time spiked to 50 ms at that point, which is pretty bad, and it's no coincidence that it happened with only 1 module of RAM.

RE2 is a linear game, and open world games like GTA V are much more CPU intensive, and therefore RAM speed dependent as well as that's the memory the CPU uses. So you can see how slow RAM with half the bandwidth it should have can cause lower performance and frame time spikes.

Keep in mind that stuttering can also be caused by software bottlenecks in the game's code. I have a pretty good PC with some of the latest hardware and it's well balanced, and I still get some frame time spikes in games like AC Odyssey and The Witcher 3. They're not too bad, but I can see them.

All you can do is make sure you don't have any bottlenecks in your system to minimize microstuttering, and right now you have a major bottleneck that's reducing your performance by up to 30%.

Also there's no need to record gameplay, just monitor frame time with MSI Afterburner and check the spikes and how much ms they are.

i7 9700K @ 5 GHz, ASUS DUAL RTX 3070 (OC), Gigabyte Z390 Gaming SLI, 2x8 HyperX Predator 3200 MHz