What's the most quiet, 40mm, 24v fan out there?

ThisIsCheez

Not for a PC, but for my 3D printer. Wanted to go with the Noctua 40mm but they only make those in 12v and 5v and I don't feel like messing with a voltage regulator if I don't have to.

I've found plenty of 24v 40mm fans labeled as "quiet" but they are no-brand most of the time and it's hard to find any reviews of them. Any big manufacturers that make a 24v version?

Voltage regulator, you mean a simple resistor?

__             __
   .-'.'     .-.     '.'-.
 .'.((      ( ^ `>     )).'.
/`'- \'._____\ (_____.'/ -'`\
|-''`.'------' '------'.`''-|
|.-'`.'.'.`/ | | \`.'.'.`'-.|
 \ .' . /  | | | |  \ . '. /
  '._. :  _|_| |_|_  : ._.'
     ````` /T"Y"T\ `````
          / | | | \
         `'`'`'`'`'`

10 minutes ago, violentnumeric said:

Voltage regulator, you mean a simple resistor?

Would want to use a buck converter. More efficient in stepping down voltage and helps keep heat down. Again, I'm trying to avoid this.

I don't know any 24V 40mm fans from reputable sources, but you could wire two 12V fans in series, or five 5V fans.

The reason 40mm fans are so loud on 3D printers is because they basically have to be. Quieter fans don't push enough air for cooling 3D prints. Most of the noise at that size is the air itself moving over the blades.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

3 minutes ago, BobVonBob said:

I don't know any 24V 40mm fans from reputable sources, but you could wire two 12V fans in series, or five 5V fans.

The reason 40mm fans are so loud on 3D printers is because they basically have to be. Quieter fans don't push enough air for cooling 3D prints. Most of the noise at that size is the air itself moving over the blades.

I've got an upgraded hotend that's got a pretty beefy heatsink so pushing enough air isn't something I'm worried about. I have considered running the 12v Noctua in series with a 12v LED strip as well but if possible I'd just like a nice 24v fan.

1 minute ago, ThisIsCheez said:

I've got an upgraded hotend that's got a pretty beefy heatsink so pushing enough air isn't something I'm worried about. I have considered running the 12v Noctua in series with a 12v LED strip as well but if possible I'd just like a nice 24v fan.

I've got no ideas then, I'd just go with the bestseller on Amazon or similar, maybe see if you can get one with characteristics similar to the Noctua fan. https://noctua.at/en/products/fan

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

1 minute ago, Majestic said:

And you're trying to avoid a buck converter, why?

Extra piece of hardware with not a lot of space to mount it.

• 5 months later...

I realize this is an older thread but I had a similar situation for a fogger system. I found this:

ANVISION 2-Pack DC 24V 40mm x 10mm Brushless Cooling Fan, Dual Ball Bearing, YDM4010B24

Rated Voltage: 24V DC, Current: 0.06A

Bearing Type: Dual Ball Bearings, low noise, long life:50000H

Airflow: 5.07CFM, Air Pressure: 2.45mmAq, Speed: 6000PRM, Noise: 23.20dBA

Lead Wire: fit in 2-PIN-2.5mm connector, length: 150mm / 5.90inch, Dimension: 40mm x 40mm x 10mm

Warranty: 2-years, Package: 2x 24V DC brushless fans

Just in case anyone else runs across this thread.

• 2 years later...

Hi. maby a bit to late. and not sure if they deliver in you`r country.

this site delivers fans.It tell you all you need to know about the airflow  and nois and other you need to know .

https://www.distrelec.com/global/

just use search and filters.