Shipping a PC

Motion

I'm having a PC that has a motherboard,cps, and stock intel cooler sent to me and was wondering what would be the best way to ship it. People said UPS or USPS and to wrap it and with bubble wrap. Would i use the small bubble wrap or large? Would i need to full the computer with it?

I’d take out a large gpu/air cooler (anything bigger than a 120mm air cooler)/single fan gpu. If possible, and ship those in OG box seperately.

then, buy a bunch of those pillow bubble things (the big ones, like 3inchx6), or litterally a bunch of half-inflated ballons, also ship it in the original case box, with dense foam. Also wrap it (the pc) in the giant saran wrap ppl use for luggage.

Just wrap the case in bubble wrap, insert into box. It'll be fine, there isn't really anything heavy.

If he has the original box for the case, that'd be best, though it's unlikely.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

19 minutes ago, Firewrath9 said:

I’d take out a large gpu/air cooler (anything bigger than a 120mm air cooler)/single fan gpu. If possible, and ship those in OG box seperately.

then, buy a bunch of those pillow bubble things (the big ones, like 3inchx6), or litterally a bunch of half-inflated ballons, also ship it in the original case box, with dense foam. Also wrap it (the pc) in the giant saran wrap ppl use for luggage.

the only fan in it right now is the stock intel cooler, should that be fine?

On 2/9/2019 at 10:11 PM, Motion said:

the only fan in it right now is the stock intel cooler, should that be fine?

Thats fine yeah.

9 minutes ago, Firewrath9 said:

Thats fine yeah.

thanks you

29 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Just wrap the case in bubble wrap, insert into box. It'll be fine, there isn't really anything heavy.

If he has the original box for the case, that'd be best, though it's unlikely.

thank you as well :D

Probably not the right place to butt in, but I was just wondering...

You know those guys selling old full systems on Ebay? They'll sell halfway decent systems for like $100-150, and then they either don't charge for shipping, or they charge like $30. But when you actually get the quotes for the weights of these systems, you see that it costs like $100 bucks to ship over a few states!

How the hell do they do this stuff!?

i travel with my PC a lot. I would not worry too much about your cooler (mine has a gigantic drp3)
I would only be concerned if there is any tempered glass, if there is then what I do is use some clothes between the glass and the box. If you want to be extra careful i would wrap the panel so in the case if breaks you wont have to breathe the glass when cleaning. Otherwise if should all be fine. 

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K @4.9 GHz 6-Core Processor CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Dark Rock Pro 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU CoolerMotherboard: MSI - Z370I GAMING PRO CARBON AC Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard Memory: PNY - Anarchy 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 @3000 MemoryStorage: 960 evo 500gbVideo Card:place holderCase: Phanteks - Enthoo EVOLV ITX TG (Black) Mini ITX Desktop Case Power Supply:SeaSonic - EVO Edition 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply Case Fan: be quiet! - SilentWings 3 pwm 59.5 CFM  140mm Fan Case Fan: be quiet! - SilentWings 3 PWM High-Speed 73.3 CFM  120mm Fan Case Fan: be quiet! - SilentWings 3 PWM High-Speed 73.3 CFM  120mm Fan Monitor: Dell - S2716DG 27.0" 2560x1440 144Hz Monitor Mouse: Place holder Sony H.ear on Wireless Noise Cancelling Headphone, Charcoal Black (MDR100ABN/B)  LEOBOG K26 Wired RGB Mechanical Keyboard,Gaming Keyboard,RGB Color Backlight,104 Key,Anti-Ghosting For Full Key,Blue Switches,Aluminum Chassis,Detachable wrist rest,PC,Computer, Laptop,BLACK (Black)EZDIY-FAB Sleeved Cable - Cable extension for power supply with extra-sleeved 24 PIN 8PIN 6PIN 4+4 PIN With COMBS- Black Grey

pcpartpicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/resdal42/saved/sCW6XL

4 hours ago, Firewrath9 said:

https://www.nzxt.com/products/phantom-530

woyld this side panel need to be wrapped or should it be fine?

Just make sure the box itself is a good Heavy Duty one(sides should be thick, just the case box is NOT enough, those were designed for the case itself, not the full weight of a PC inside of it). You don't want a thin cheapo box for a computer.
You should reinforce the edges of the box itself, to prevent it from caving in during shipping.
Image result for cardboard corner reinforcement

I wouldn't recommend UPS. They will trash your computer, because "fragile" means "dump from the third floor window a few times" to them. Don't put any indication of what might be in the box on the case, that's just further incentive for them to destroy it.
Don't cheap out on the packing material itself. Get some closed cell foam if you can, you don't need much of it, just two medium size piece or so on each of the four sides/corners to complement the bubble wrap(if there's a side window, don't put any hard foam on the window itself, a hit might be transmitted through and break it otherwise, just put bubble wrap on it).
This will also help prevent the box from caving in and protect its content.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

11 hours ago, bmichaels556 said:

Probably not the right place to butt in, but I was just wondering...

You know those guys selling old full systems on Ebay? They'll sell halfway decent systems for like $100-150, and then they either don't charge for shipping, or they charge like $30. But when you actually get the quotes for the weights of these systems, you see that it costs like $100 bucks to ship over a few states!

How the hell do they do this stuff!?

$100? $30 sounds right to me for usps ground shipping. Even priority shipping, it won't be more than $50 unless you are shipping from, say, new york to california. Or unless it is very very heavy.

For reference, I regularly ship 8 pound 16x16x16 boxes across the country (and world).

12 hours ago, poochyena said:

$100? $30 sounds right to me for usps ground shipping. Even priority shipping, it won't be more than $50 unless you are shipping from, say, new york to california. Or unless it is very very heavy.

For reference, I regularly ship 8 pound 16x16x16 boxes across the country (and world).

Yeah, well I mean I just checked USPS for a quote for a package of 12 pounds, 16" x 12" x 6" and I'm seeing $45... That's pretty crazy, isn't it..? Feels like I've almost always had great luck with the flat rate boxes, but of course there's only so much you can fit, even in the larger ones. 

22 hours ago, TetraSky said:

Just make sure the box itself is a good Heavy Duty one(sides should be thick, just the case box is NOT enough, those were designed for the case itself, not the full weight of a PC inside of it). You don't want a thin cheapo box for a computer.
You should reinforce the edges of the box itself, to prevent it from caving in during shipping.
Image result for cardboard corner reinforcement

I wouldn't recommend UPS. They will trash your computer, because "fragile" means "dump from the third floor window a few times" to them. Don't put any indication of what might be in the box on the case, that's just further incentive for them to destroy it.
Don't cheap out on the packing material itself. Get some closed cell foam if you can, you don't need much of it, just two medium size piece or so on each of the four sides/corners to complement the bubble wrap(if there's a side window, don't put any hard foam on the window itself, a hit might be transmitted through and break it otherwise, just put bubble wrap on it).
This will also help prevent the box from caving in and protect its content.

you realize most of the lower end and mid range custom PC Builders ship a completed PC in the original box right? Most original case boxes are more than ok to handle a trip or two. Constant moving around and I'd invest in a pelican type shipping box.

~~~~Started Folding - Feb 7, 2019~~~~